Belgium
Joined 4091 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 65 of 408
18 May 2013 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
ZH

Vocabulary with Anki: studied 99 cards in 17 minutes: HSK4, HSK5 (review) and frequent
characters.

With Skritter, reviewed HSK4 about 20 minutes.

With Pleco, reviewed random vocabulary, also for about 20 minutes.

Listened to test no 9 in 新汉语水平考试 - 四级 - 模拟式题集. Stopped when I realized that
I was wasting my time because I was not undestanding much. So I started again. Read the
transcript while listening, making sure I understood everything before moving on to the
next chunk. If I had more time I could add some chorusing and shadowing.

Read 3 or 4 more pages of 天下无贼. They are big pages. The entire short story is only
13 pages long.

Listened a few times to a new ChinesePod podcast, about Chinese seals.

Edited by lorinth on 18 May 2013 at 8:02am

2 persons have voted this message useful

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4091 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 66 of 408
19 May 2013 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
ZH

Vocabulary: HSK4, HSK5, random vocabulary, frequent characters.

ChinesePod: continued studying the podcast about 印章. I'd like to do some chorusing,
and I'm done.

Read a short article about 来自中国的、成吨的伪造欧元硬币, tons of counterfeit euro coins
coming from China

I'd like to post links to the articles I read, but I have a really hard time managing
links in my posts. More often than not, they are garbled and useless.

Finished listening/reading 新汉语水平考试 - 四级 - 模拟式题集, no 9.

ES

Leí un artículo sobre La Mesta. Se trata de una especie de gremio profesional encargado
de administrar y proteger los intereses de los criadores de ovejas en la España
antigua. Organizaba por ejemplo la trashumancia de los rebaños a lo largo de las
"cañadas" entre el norte y el sur del reino de Castilla. También se trataba de una
especie de estado dentro del estado, ya que disponía de su propia administración, sus
policías, sus jueces, etc. Existió desde siglo 13 hasta el comienzo del siglo 19.

ES, FI, LA

Reviewed vocab in ES (goldlist), FI (LWT) and LA (LWT).

Edited by lorinth on 19 May 2013 at 9:23am

1 person has voted this message useful

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4091 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 67 of 408
20 May 2013 at 9:28am | IP Logged 
ZH

Usual vocabulary drills: HSK4 and 5 (with Anki), HSK4 (with Skritter), frequent
characters (with Anki), additional random vocabulary (with Pleco and a goldlist book).

Listened to and read 新汉语水平考试 - 四级 - 模拟式题集, no 8.

As I had to tinker around the house, I spent a good two hours listening distractedly to
random Chinese audio.

Did chorusing exercises with the ChinesePod lesson about 印章. The Android app has some
fantastic functions: I particularly like the fact that you can listen the lesson
sentence by sentence, record yourself and then compare (I discovered that you can press
both buttons to listen to your own voice and the recording at the same time). Another
interesting function is the possibility to download all the lesson material (audio
files, transcripts, etc.) while you're on a wifi network for later use. Awesome!

FI

Reviewed vocab in LWT.

In a box in the attic, I have three books of the Lyhennetty laitos series:
"Aaresaari", "Tom Sawyerin seikkailut" and "Humiseva Harju". As a test, I took
"Aaresaari" and read the first chapter (5 pages), underlining unknown words as I went,
in order to look them up in the dictionary afterwards.

Results of the test: I was able to read that first chapter, though obviously it
involved some guesswork, as there were quite a lot of words that I didn't know or
didn't remember. Exactly 78, i.e. about 16 per page. And yet I know, because I've
experienced it many times, that there are more unknown words in the first few chapters
than afterwards, so I trust that if I go on reading, it will become easier.

To start studying those words, I tried a list (as recommended by Iversen), as part of
my experiment consisting of using less software and more paperware to learn vocabulary.

LA

Reviewed vocab in LWT.

Listened to the two most recent nuntii latini.

At night, I watched the two episodes of « Le destin de Rome », a docufiction about the
civil war that took place after the assassination of Caesar, until the death of Marcus
Antonius and Cleopatra. It counts as language study, because the dialogues are spoken
in Latin (and ancient Greek)!

ES

Leí varios artículos en "El País" de hoy. Añadí las palabras desconocidas a mi lista de
oro (goldlist).

Edited by lorinth on 20 May 2013 at 9:29am

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4091 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 68 of 408
20 May 2013 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
ZH

Finished re-reading 天下无贼 without dictionary, as planned. What's the point of such
an exercise? I can see two reasons. First, frequently interrupting your reading session
to look up words can kill the pleasure. It is true that, using a reader such as Pleco
or Dimsum, or a popup dictionary embedded in you browser, like PeraPera, basically
eliminates the dictionary work. But then, I have often had the feeling that, when using
a reader with a popup dictionary, things were somehow too easy, that I didn't
give my brains enough time to think about unknown words: I tend to hit the automatic
lookup button too fast and too frequently. However, not having a dictionary at hand
forces me to take the time to remember such words, or to think about the different
reasons why they remain "unknown", e.g.: quite often I know (or guess) the meaning,
while I don't know (or forgot) the pronunciation; less frequently, it's the other way
around; sometimes I know the word, but the meaning does not seem to fit the sentence –
maybe there's a shade of meaning I don't know; sometimes, I know the meaning and the
pronunciation of the characters, but they are used to form a word that I do not
understand, even in context; sometimes, I do understand every single word, and yet the
sentence does not make sense. Etc.

ChinesePod: took the final test for the lesson about 印章 (one mistake) and started a
lesson about 在纽约买房子。

Started reading a long article about the relations between China and Europe, wherein it
is said that 作为个体的欧盟成员国对中国将不再重要,作 为整体的欧盟才是中国的重要伙伴 the relations
between China and individual EU member states will no longer matter, the EU as a whole
will be considered as China's important partner

The article

Usual vocabulary drills: HSK4 and 5 (with Anki), HSK4 (with Skritter), frequent
characters (with Anki), additional random vocabulary (with Pleco and a goldlist book).

LA

Read 5 pages of Regulus. Studied the 21 unknown words underlined therein.

FI

Studied some of the vocabulary underlined in "Aaresaari".

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4091 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 69 of 408
22 May 2013 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
ZH

Finished the article about 衰落的欧洲更欢迎强大的中国.

Checked the very minimalist lyrics of the song 中南海, by Carsick Cars. I like this
band. If they weren't a carbon copy of Sonic Youth, they'd be geniuses. After that,
read the beautiful, less minimalist lyrics of the best song of theirs that I know: 广
场. Awesome stuff.

Listened to and read 新汉语水平考试 - 四级 - 模拟式题集, no 7.

Vocabulary: more of the same, i.e. HSK4 and HSK5, frequent characters and vocabulary
collected while reading.

ES

Leí un artículo a propósito del hundimiento del Maine en las aguas de Cuba, en 1898.
Aquel acontecimiento, como todos saben, simboliza el fin definitivo del un imperio, el
español, y el comienzo de otro, el estadounidense. Como se trata de una revista
española, el artículo argumenta o da que entender, lógicamente, que el hundimiento del
Maine fue puesto en escena por los EEUU. Lo que apenas sería sorprendente, ya que hay
muchos ejemplos similares en la historia de otros imperios: el incidente de Mukden, el
incendio del Reichstag, el bombardeo de Guernica, etc

LA

Read 4 pages of Regulus and studied the vocabulary collected in previous pages.

FI

Continued studying some of the vocabulary underlined in "Aaresaari".

MISC

Suddenly I have doubts about my plan to "use less software and more paperware" to learn
vocabulary (and the rest).

I've been experimenting with notebooks for a few weeks and I think that my retention
rate is indeed better if I take the time to write words by hand. It is, however, more
time consuming than copy/pasting or even typing words and dumping them into whatever
spaced repetition software I happen to be using for a given language at a given moment.

Ideally, I could use paper first, to learn the words, and only then dump them into an
SRS for long-term retention.

I probably don't have the time to do that in the long run, especially because it would
devour the time I want to spend immersed in interesting input, i.e. reading and
listening stuff in the languages I like.

Another consideration is that, in fact, most of my study time is scraped from commuting
time, queuing time, toilet time, lunch time, etc. Hence, using one notebook, or more,
for each language is not very convenient. My phone, on the other hand, is always handy
and filled with SRS desks, audio files, texts, etc.

I'll have to think a bit more about that.

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4091 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 70 of 408
23 May 2013 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
ZH

Read chap. 8 of 《中国进行时》, 关于上网购物。

Read two short articles. One about the first events organized in Belgium to commemorate
WWI: 比利时举行的活动为反思第一次世界大战。

The article.

The second one is about 欧盟 和中国贸易关系。双方可能建立自贸关系。

The article.

Read another short story by 赵本夫, the author of 天下无贼. I had chosen a very short
story (three pages - though the pages are longish) called 七个和一个, in order to read it
"cold", i.e. no dictionary allowed. I sort of could enjoy it. But now I want to read it
again to make the most out of it.

Listened again to the ChinesePod lesson about 在纽约买房子.

Vocabulary: HSK4 and HSK5 (review only), characters (review + 2 new characters), random
vocabulary (review + 20-30 new words).

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4091 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 71 of 408
24 May 2013 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
ZH

Not much yesterday. Apart from the usal vocabulary reviews, I just had time to start
rereading 赵本夫's short story 《七个和一个》and to read a very short article:
在科索沃一个涉嫌战犯被拘捕 。 (in Kosovo, a suspected war criminal was arrested)

The article.

Finished the ChinesePod lesson about 在纽约买房子.

Edited by lorinth on 24 May 2013 at 10:20am

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4091 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 

Message 72 of 408
25 May 2013 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
Started reading another short story by 余华 called 我没有自己的名字。I'm reading it in
Pleco, because I really want to read more, but I'll make a conscious effort not to hit
the dictionary button too swiftly.

I've started to listen to a new ChinesePod lesson in which teenagers (or so they sound)
joke about the armada of dead pigs that was floating on the 黄浦江 a few months ago.   

Vocabulary: HSK4 and HSK5 (review only), characters (review + 2 new characters), random
vocabulary (review + 20-30 new words).

This discussion contains 408 messages over 51 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version