Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 89 of 153
24 July 2013 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
- Read the news items ‘Aruba 1’ a gana ‘Mexico’ 4-3, Proyecto di mehoramento di beach y facilidadnan na Cura Cabay y Zeewijk and Nos unico pilar economico ta den un estado critico
- Read the songs up to Riba awa
- Watched Arqueologia; e continuidad indigena Part 1 of 2
Listened to the song "Bisami si" by Izaline Calister
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 90 of 153
25 July 2013 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
- Read the songs up to Ta con nos ta balia
- Read the news items Habitantenan ta bisa cu contrario na tur propaganda dumpnan illegal ta sigui crece and Proyecto di awa pa cunukeronan
- Watched Arqueologia; e continuidad indigena Part 2 of 2
- Listened to the song Nada den mi man, by Izaline Calister

I've decided that after I'm done with Roosprod's video channel at Youtube, I'm going to take some videos from Curaçao, as Roosprod is from Aruba and I'm now much more used to Aruba's accent, which is also reputed to sound cleaer and easier. So far, I only found the channel Telecuraçao. There isn't much of my taste but I think it will do for the time being.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 91 of 153
26 July 2013 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
- Read the remaining stories of the section Cantica y storianan di Pasco
- Read the news items Biblioteca Nacional Aruba ta cosecha exito internacional pa adopta mentalidad sostenibel, Bultonan di droga haya pabou di Boca Wariruri and Miranne Geerman lo representa Aruba na Mrs Universe Ltd
- Listened to the song Kasa ku mi by Izaline Calister
- Watched Burico...Part 1 of 2

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 92 of 153
29 July 2013 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
- Read the poem Mi idioma Papiamento
- Read the news items Den Final Awe and Prioridad di gobierno pa drecha scolnan a yega Mon Plaisir
- Listened to the song Mi So Den Boso by Izaline Calister
- Watches Burico...Part 2 of 2

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 93 of 153
30 July 2013 at 7:17pm | IP Logged 
- Listened to the song Kadena Enkantá, by Izaline Calister. I'll try to listen to the song while still at home because there I can use Grooveshark, which has nearly all of her songs, while Youtube has only a few.
- Read the news items Arubiano ta pinta premio nacional di potret pa DNKL na Hulanda and Minister Otmar Oduber a garantiza grupo di taxista cu no lo duna mas permiso
- Read the poems E Kapel di Alto Vista and Shon Dindin su Kitrin
- Finished watching all the videos from the Roosprod channel. Now it's time for TeleCuraçao! Hope I can find something interesting and of good quality.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 94 of 153
31 July 2013 at 9:53pm | IP Logged 
- Listened to the song Preteksto by Izaline Calister
- Read the news items MFA Noord a bay destaho publico caba and San Nicolas ta bay bira e segundo industria turistico di Aruba pasobra eynan tin cultura, historia y herencia di Pais Aruba
- Read the poems E fió di shon Banban, Conni e coneo di Pascu and Bula barbulete
- Watched videos HOSPITAL NOBO OPHESION and Bai'é ! Game Show TeleCuracao.

This is the first time I watch video from Curaçao. I find it soooo slow, at least the narrator. It is ridiculously easy. I don't understand how teh brazilian stand-up comedian could say that Papiamento in Aruba is much slower and clearer than Curaçaoan. Maybe it's the style of TeleCuraçao and the fact their journalist and TV skills aren't the highest, so they end up speaking slowly. Still...Pity that the material from TeleCuraçao is mostly news...nothing like the documentaries from Aruba. Still, I believe it is going to be helpful.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4637 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 95 of 153
01 August 2013 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
Expugnator - this is a great log! I see that using a variety of resources can get a person far in learning a language.

I know you are busy, but if you have time I have some questions.

1) What is a typical daily schedule for you when studying Papiamento?
2) So you have a word deck and a sentence deck for Papiamento in Anki?
3) What was the name of the Papiamento textbook that you used at first?
4) You had a Georgian/Papiamento bilingual magazine? Where did you get that?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 96 of 153
01 August 2013 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
- Read the news items E buki Kanaä awor optenibel na Kòrsou and Gobiernu di Kòrsou a risibí nos kampionnan ayera. I'm reading news from vigilantekorsou.com . So far I had been reading mainly news from Aruba, but now I'm going for some variety.
- Read the stories Piki cocolishi, Mi cabay di palo and Un ratón bibito
- Listened to the song Amigu, by Izaline Calister
- Watched the video CEO Paul de Geus ta splika enkuanto perspektivanan pa TeleCuracao. Yes, that guy does speak fast. Nevermind, I just got used after less than 1 minute. I think he just started the interview too much in a hurry. A good level of comprehensiveness overall.

Now to kuji's questions!!

1) Papiamento wasn't in short plans, but it all changed when I scheduled my trip to Aruba and Curaçao. So, it became a sort of a 5th language with the proviso that it is a Spanish/Portuguese-based creole and therefore much easier to gain passive knowledge from. So, now that I no longer work with textbooks, I start Papiamento after I'm done with Norwegian. It's more or less like this:
   Early in the morning: some 2 minutes with reviewing 100 cards in my Anki deck (all cards are 'seen' already).
   At around 12:10 PM - I start doing exactly as reported above. I pick open the site with short stories and poems then the Glosbe translator and Google Translator (for the Dutch and Spanish words I don't know). I read one short poem - about 10 lines, and I go on and do two more if they are easy. Then I read two news articles from online newspapers. I usually have to look up Dutch words. It doesn't take me more than 5 minutes for each activity, but I get at least 4 pages of real, native-language material that in a textbook would be artificially composed of too many words into a related subject. In the case of Papiamento, the words appear in natural frequency and I do benefit from the Spanish vocabulary.
   It may sound crazy, but I do this while watching a French series. I do pay attention to it but since there are several silent moments I take the chance to take a glance at the Papiamento articles, and often this is enough since my level of understanding is higher. Anyway, forget about it. It would take me the very same 5 minutes for each activity were I watching the TV series or not, so ignore this insanity of mine. What I mean to say is that each of this Papiamentu activity is short, texts aren't longer than 5 paragraphs usually and I have a good comprehension level. Even if I didn't and it was a language with better resources, I could still take advantage of a translation, as I'm doing with Norwegian. I select the text, paste at Google and I just look up the words I don't know at the translation in the right.
Then once I'm done with all the TV series, 40 min each, (I would also have read 20 pages in French during the series times, especially the English one which I follow rather loosely), I go for the aural part: I totally focus on the Papiamentu video, which I can already understand without subtitles after less than 3 months. Then I do the song. As you see, these are 4 tasks in 4 different subjects: literature/poetry, news. documentary, music. I see the same words in several contexts, I deal with different registers and that accounts for the sinergy iguanamon speaks about.

2) I had a words deck, actually a shared one, set up by a friend (Abavagada, who ran parleremo and still runs the magazine Parrottime). It was short and I finished it quickly, that is, got all words mature. Then I built my own deck from a phrasebook - Getting around the islands in Papiamentu, which I read twice because my focus is indeed tourism - I normally wouldn't read a phrasebook. This deck has over 1000 Papiamento cards (mostly sentences) and I'm about to get all facts mature, too.

3) Papiamentu Textbook =D

4) I had to resort to Jeovah's Witnesses' magazine Watchtower. It is edited in thousands of languages. I could only take 1 issue, no more than that. It did speed up my reading, though, so I don't regret or feel ashamed of having used it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 153 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version