Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 17 of 153
15 April 2013 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
Te mandei uma mensagem privada. Já vi esses vídeos do Adnet sim, ele fala é bem, viu! E dá pra entender porque o sotaque é brasileiro hehe.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 18 of 153
17 April 2013 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
Today I studied lesson 11 on imperative and subjunctive. It's pretty straightforward, and the subjunctive is usually a subordinate clause that doesn't take 'ta', while there are very few irregular imperatives that don't correspond to the plain present/infinitive. I can't believe I'm halfway through this book! I really need to get loads of reading materials, be it the Bible or anything else.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 19 of 153
18 April 2013 at 10:19pm | IP Logged 
Today's lesson was long! Loads of vocabulary. I could still finish it. The lessons are long but the vocabulary gets repeated, and this makes things easier.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 20 of 153
23 April 2013 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
Currently at lesson 15, 5 more to ago after this one. I've learned the compound tenses both for indicative and conditional, and it will take me a while to get used to actively using it, while understanding it is pretty straightforward. Papiamento doesn't have a past perfect and what would be a future perfect is actually a conditional, so there are a lot less tenses to learn.

Edited by Expugnator on 23 April 2013 at 9:58pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 21 of 153
25 April 2013 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
A striking cultural difference/false friend in Papiamento: east is pariba, west is pabou. North is noord/nòrt and south is zuid/sur. In Brazil we're accostumed to the constraining, colonized bidimensionality that north is up and south is down, but in Curaçao up is implied with the east and down with the west. I think it might have to do with the geography of the island.

Lesson 17 done, I'm about to finish the textbook, due next week! I'm still reading a magazine in both Papiamento and Georgian, though I'm paying more attention to the Georgian text, as the Papiamento one is pretty much straightforward.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 22 of 153
25 April 2013 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Today I could do a bit more from my magazine which I read in Georgian and Papiamento translations. I'm quite used to reading the Papiamento, I didn't have to look up a single word, either in the Portuguese translation or on a dictionary. I could be reading much faster in Papiamento, but I'm still slow with Georgian.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 23 of 153
26 April 2013 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
It's a bit early to say that, but I'm approaching reading fluency in Papiamento. I didn't have to look up a single word at the two paragraphs I read today. I didn't open the Portuguese translation. On the contrary, the Papiamento text served as a support for Georgian! I know this is due to the extremely high level of cognates with Spanish and Portuguese, but before I started studying with the textbook I wasn't used to the typical Papiamento syntactical features and to the false friends. Now it gets clearer. I'm dying for reading a story in Papiamento, be it a chronicle, a short tale, whatever.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 24 of 153
26 April 2013 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
I've come across this which claims itself to be the first comic book in Papiamento. No info on how to get the comic book so far, but there are descriptions that convey good reading practice:

Olamot

This discussion contains 153 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version