United States
Joined 5524 days ago

12 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 18 of 64
09 August 2013 at 9:33am | IP Logged 
Crush,

Are you asking if all of the texts will be originally in the target language? That is ideal, but not a requirement for us. I am looking into the possibility of offering the platform in languages other than English. For example, Spanish speakers can use it to learn English. The entire interface must be translated into each language of course, so that will be a gradual process.

erenko,

There is only good news to report about the project. Everything is going incredibly well and it has certainly kept me busy, explaining my absence from the forum. Alpha testing begins soon and the beta test is not far off. Expect to be using the software by early September on your phone, tablet, or computer.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 19 of 64
09 August 2013 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
I was just asking if there would be support for language pairs that don't include English, like Spanish-French, German-Russian, etc. I look forward to seeing how it turns out and repeat my desire to help out however i can :)
1 person has voted this message useful

BlaBla
Triglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 3925 days ago

45 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Nepali, Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin

Message 20 of 64
10 August 2013 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
I personally don't feel the need for professional actors but usually start producing my own audio files as
soon as my pronounciation is good enough. This way I can move on with texts I'm really intererested
in, instead of relying on stuff that would make me sleep in no time. As always, YMMV.

Edited by BlaBla on 10 August 2013 at 4:38pm

BlaBla
Triglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 3925 days ago

45 posts - 72 votes 

Message 22 of 64
11 August 2013 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
erenko wrote:
BlaBla wrote:
I personally don't feel the need for professional actors but usually start
producing my own audio files as
soon as my pronounciation is good enough. This way I can move on with texts I'm really intererested
in, instead of relying on stuff that would make me sleep in no time. As always, YMMV.

Do you mean you read novels or popular science books aloud yourself to LR them?

I first read my texts into my recording device and start L-R'ing when I've finished the recording job. This
additional step has helped me tremendously with my pronounciation as well as my general speaking
abilities, probably more than shadowing. Well invested time if you ask me and certainly more fun than
editing the lengthy accompanying texts.

BlaBla
Triglot
Groupie
Spain
Joined 3925 days ago

45 posts - 72 votes 

Message 24 of 64
11 August 2013 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
erenko wrote:
BlaBla wrote:

I first read my texts into my recording device and start L-R'ing when I've finished the recording job. This
additional step has helped me tremendously with my pronounciation as well as my general speaking
abilities, probably more than shadowing. Well invested time if you ask me and certainly more fun than
editing the lengthy accompanying texts.

You mean you record your books without understanding them? What books have you recorded? In what
languages?

I said 'texts', generally extensive scientific stuff that I'm pretty familiar with content wise, pretty heavy on
cognates and most of it centered around my rather exotic job, which I prefer to keep private. The whole
point of LR as I understand it is exposure to contents you're supposed to be familiar with (Step one),
preferably passionate about - presented in a different language (L2) - Spanish in my case. I'm somewhere
around A2 these days, eagerly working my way toward C1 so I don't run into too many obstacles during
my recordings. It would be a different story with more belletristic contents though. It's not exactly
orthodox LR but it sure helps to accelerate my progress and that's what I'm mainly concerned about.
Rule #1: There are no rules !

Edited by BlaBla on 11 August 2013 at 1:59pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version