Joined 3925 days ago

45 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French
Studies: Nepali, Spanish, Dutch, Mandarin

Message 26 of 64
11 August 2013 at 3:06pm | IP Logged 
erenko wrote:
@BlaBla

Now I understand. Spanish texts are relatively easy to read aloud as they're 'phonetic', unlike English or
Mandarin.

I learned the majority of my English by just reading parallel texts on (popular) science: astronomy, physics,
maths and so on. But my pronunciation was pretty good already - I was taught English by Niana (a nanny)
when I was a child.
I listened a lot to lectures published by the Teaching Company or the Modern Scholar.

By the way, the rule is: There are no Rule(r)s.

Even better, lol.
Regarding the 'relative easiness' of Spanish pronounciation I don't find it too easy myself, you really need
to pay close attention to those accents/stresses - e.g. esta vs. está, especially when you start to pick up
speed. Still a bit of a challenge for me, but it gets better with every hour of doing those recordings. Heck, I
never had any probs whatsoever with either French or English, both of which I learned from native
teachers some 35 years ago but Spanish sure doesn't come for free these days.
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 28 of 64
28 August 2013 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
Toriyama, any news on when we might get a glimpse of the beta? :D

Toriyama
United States
Joined 5524 days ago

12 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 29 of 64
08 September 2013 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
Crush,

We are currently recording audio. I am aiming for a September-October launch for the Beta. The first confirmed language will be Chinese. I am pushing for the addition of Korean, Japanese, or Arabic as the next language. I'll keep all of you updated on any developments. As soon as we launch, everyone who signed up for the Beta will receive an email with instructions on how to set up an account and start using it.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4685 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 30 of 64
08 September 2013 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
erenko wrote:
By the way, the rule is: There are no Rule(r)s.

I love that line, mostly because it's followed by a long list of rules.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5661 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 31 of 64
08 September 2013 at 2:42pm | IP Logged 
That's great news! I can't wait to check it out :)

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4624 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 32 of 64
08 September 2013 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
I agree there are no rules for L-R, and I suspect I have only rarely done it in the way
originally suggested here on HTLAL.

I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of recording the texts yourself.

I thought a lot about this kind of thing when the topic of "reverse L-R" was discussed
here some time ago. I think that Professor Arguelles talks about this somwhere although
he probably does not call it that exactly. Anyway, this would be where you listen to
the text read in your native language, while reading it in the target language.

I think he suggested this had advantages (which I can't remember in detail at the
moment), but I think he said both ways would be beneficial (that's what I would think,
anyway).

So, you could (if you had the energy) obviously record the native language version of
the text for yourself, and it would obviously have correct pronunciation for your
native dialect/accent. This is not really an issue for you, since you are not trying to
learn to pronounce your own language (obviously). However - and this is where an
original(?) idea came to me some time ago, if there were a group of enthusiasts, who
were symmetrically matched as "givers" and "takers" of each others respective
languages, they could record texts in their own language for their own use with
"Reverse L-R", and then swap them with a learner of their TL for use in that learner's
normal L-R. In return, they would receive a recording in the native language of their
audioswap partner.

Personally, I think this is a genius idea (! - ha, but then, I would, wouldn't I). The
difficulty is in the implementation - finding matching partners (it can be difficult
enough with Skype), and then the actual sweat of doing the recordings. I've done some
of this (not for the reason above, but for Librivox), and while it can be fun, it is
extremely time-consuming and tiring.

I throw it out as an idea.

BTW, for me personally, and this is no criticism of BlaBla, I'm not sure I'd want to
listen to a lot of myself reading a target language, no matter how good I thought I was
(except for the purposes of correction), since one of the reasons I like LR is to hear
a text read by a native speaker, preferably a professional.

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version