Joined 4624 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 33 of 64
08 September 2013 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
BlaBla wrote:

Even better, lol.
Regarding the 'relative easiness' of Spanish pronounciation I don't find it too easy
myself, you really need
to pay close attention to those accents/stresses - e.g. esta vs. está, especially when
you start to pick up
speed. Still a bit of a challenge for me, but it gets better with every hour of doing
those recordings. Heck, I
never had any probs whatsoever with either French or English, both of which I learned
from native
teachers some 35 years ago but Spanish sure doesn't come for free these days.

BTW, despite my earlier comment, I don't question the value of reading texts aloud, and
I don't doubt that you improved a great deal along the way.

My only worry would be listening to too much of myself reading a TL, and possibly
reinforcing my own pronunciation errors. For checking pronunciation (comparing it with
a native version), then yes, I would listen. But for improving my pronunciation, I'd
want to be listening to native speakers.
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7001 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 35 of 64
08 September 2013 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
erenko wrote:
I tried litteratureaudio, liberliber and librivox.

There are some gems out there. David Barnes on Librivox. There is also the fellow who reads Journey to the Center of the Earth in English. These are a couple of readers who are better than many professionals.

Litteratureaudio.com has some good readers as well. The woman who reads Les Liaisons dangereuses has a pleasant voice.

I like that on litteratureaudio.com the reader typically does the entire work.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4624 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 36 of 64
08 September 2013 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
erenko wrote:

@montmorency
Listening to amateurs reading books is a painful experience. I tried litteratureaudio,
liberliber and librivox. Never again.

I'd agree the quality of audiobooks read by volunteers is very variable. Some are
actually very good. Some are not so good. Nowadays I prefer commercial ones read by
professionals.

But more generally (podcasts, etc), so long as the person speaking is a native in the
language, and is moderately articulate, I'm happy to listen to them.

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4267 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 37 of 64
09 September 2013 at 2:19am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
erenko wrote:
I tried litteratureaudio, liberliber and librivox.

There are some gems out there. David Barnes on Librivox. There is also the fellow who reads Journey to the Center of the Earth in English. These are a couple of readers who are better than many professionals.

Litteratureaudio.com has some good readers as well. The woman who reads Les Liaisons dangereuses has a pleasant voice.

I like that on litteratureaudio.com the reader typically does the entire work.

Do you know anywhere to find audiobooks in Esperanto ? Except for courses, I only found Alice in wonderlands.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6235 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 39 of 64
09 September 2013 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
Tsopivo wrote:

Do you know anywhere to find audiobooks in Esperanto ? Except for courses, I only found Alice in wonderlands.

There are quite a few, but the ones I've found have uniformly been disappointing, unfortunately. There's "Gerda Malaperis" (lernu), "La donaco de la Magoj" (various sources), etc.

There are some with quite good content available; Stano Marčekread several classics, from Pushkin and Andersen through Esperanto literature. Unfortunately, he adopted rather 'didactic' intonation throughout.

As is common with Esperanto material, there's a lot out there: it's just not centralized, or always easy to acquire. I've heard of a lot of audiobooks that I've never gotten to see.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4624 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 40 of 64
09 September 2013 at 11:06am | IP Logged 
erenko wrote:

OK, I listened to some extracts: gratuit-mp3/choderlos-de-laclos-pierre-les-liaisons-dangereu ses.html">Les Liaisons
dangereuses
. She has a nice voice, but she cannot read. Try a professional
recording by keywords=Les+Liaisons+dangereuses+&osCsid=pnnr6q9q7fd711ul12 a1lsm142&x=18&y=9">Livraphon
e
and you'll hear the difference.

I tried David Barnes too. Not bad, but there
are much better professional readers again.

Were I to learn the Chuj language
with practically no resources, I would be overjoyed to listen to any reader. As far as
French or English go, good quality professional audiobooks are easy to get.

Do you mean her breathiness? I think if she could get that and her microphone sorted
out, and stopped sounding so nervous, I could listen to her OK.

The professional one that I could find a sample for was obviously better, and the
problem is, once you've listened to a few of these, you don't really want to go back to
librivox, although, for example, for Effi Briest in German, I was really impressed by
some of the readers, and very grateful to find it, at the time. I know how hard doing
such recordings is, so I take my hat off to the volunteers, Nevertheless...

David Barnes has a good voice and I don't think I could detect any technical problems,
but my first experience of him was with Kafka's "The Metamorphosis", a book I loathe,
in English and in German, so it put me off him.

He's also just a bit too slow for my taste, but perhaps he thought that pace suited the
book, as it starts with someone waking up in bed.

This discussion contains 64 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version