tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5575 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 81 of 142
22 August 2013 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
casamata wrote:
Yes, but I'm not referring to the nitty gritty of languages. I'm talking about knowing words like, "wheelbarrow, sleep aid, sledgehammer, butterfly, beaver, sprinklers." Words that are *relatively* rare but all natives will know.

Apart from butterfly I acquired all of those words by informed guessing, as I switched to mainly 'extensive' tasks at a level that would be better described as A2 than B1.

I used to know shoelace in Spanish. But due to disuse, my daily life vocabulary in Spanish has become mostly passive. I've also recently tried to learn the word in Japanese and I know I can recognize it, but I can't use it.

As for study habits, it's not only boredom. Frustration is a major issue for me. When I was in Spain, I tried to shut out all other languages and I felt I was going crazy, I felt crippled. So I ended up spending half of my time using and learning Spanish, and the other half for English and Japanese, and later, dabbling in Korean. (And acquiring passive Catalan.) I effectively shut out German, though. I might have made more progress if I'd completely concentrated on Spanish, but at what cost? I've already managed to go from nil to C1 comprehension and B1 production in ten months, and that was hard enough.
I don't see any reason for why I should push myself a lot harder to improve just a little faster. There's no deadline I have to meet, nothing I have to gain from putting in even more effort than I am already doing. I want this language to be part of my life for the next 50+ years, after all. And the same is true for several others. Apart from that I prefer improving at a rate which makes people think I am a very dedicated learner, not at one that makes them treat me like a freak.

As for terminology, some people seem to profit more from extensive tasks than others, and it might not be a question of attitude. I used to say I *learn* a certain language, because I do little in the way of textbook studying.
4 persons have voted this message useful

mike245
Triglot
Hong Kong
Joined 6781 days ago

303 posts - 408 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Cantonese
Studies: French, German, Mandarin, Khmer

Message 82 of 142
22 August 2013 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
I know tuna means prickly pear, but I didn't know elote. I grew up 30 minutes away from the border to Mexico, so half the kids in my high school Spanish classes were native speakers. We read a lot in our classes, including Cien años de soledad and La casa de los espíritus. And in my hometown, all of the museums and touristy sights have captions/explanations written in both English and Spanish, so I used to read both.

I only took a few Spanish classes in college, but I stopped because I wanted to explore other languages and I felt I wasn't learning enough in my Spanish classes. However, I used to read a lot in my spare time. Back then, I learned all sorts of random vocabulary like mazacote, zapear and escampar.

EDIT: I actually passed up the opportunity to study abroad in Latin America because I wanted to try something different. Perhaps if I had spent 6 months in Chile or Argentina, rather than in Germany, I would've come back with a more advanced level of Spanish than I have now. But I had a wonderful time challenging myself with a new language, and I came back from that experience with the ability to speak German at high intermediate, roughly high B1 level. So I don't have any regrets regarding that decision.

Edited by mike245 on 22 August 2013 at 10:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5037 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 83 of 142
22 August 2013 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
If nothing else, this thread is definitely expanding my Spanish vocabulary. I pride myself in knowing esoteric Spanish terms, but I've already been stumped several times.

grunts67
Diglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5111 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 84 of 142
22 August 2013 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
casamata wrote:

Beavers, FYI, suck because they are carriers for Giardia, and people that go hiking and drink the water from the stream get massive watery diarrhea.

Beaver are an important part of the ecosystem in Canada so they don't suck. Now a day if you drink water from lakes or medium to large size rivers without asking about the water quality, you should get diarrhea.

By the way, because of a beaver, I eat fresh trouts every summer.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5037 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 85 of 142
22 August 2013 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
grunts67 wrote:

Strange you should so readily admit bribery! No wonder you defend los castores.

casamata
Joined 4071 days ago

237 posts - 377 votes 
Studies: Portuguese

Message 86 of 142
22 August 2013 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
grunts67 wrote:
casamata wrote:

Beavers, FYI, suck because they are carriers for Giardia, and people that go hiking and drink the water from the stream get massive watery diarrhea.

Beaver are an important part of the ecosystem in Canada so they don't suck. Now a day if you drink water from lakes or medium to large size rivers without asking about the water quality, you should get diarrhea.

Dude, sorry, I didn't mean that they suck in the sense that they don't do anything for our ecosystems. I meant that they suck in the sense that we have people pooping out their guts thanks to giardi, which is "beaver fever." You don't like beavers *that* much, do you?

JC_Identity
Triglot
Groupie
Sweden
thelawofidentity.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3930 days ago

53 posts - 108 votes 
Speaks: Swedish, Serbo-Croatian*, English

Message 87 of 142
22 August 2013 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I don't think I could get away with all other languages and learn 5x more hanzi, 5x
more sentences, watch 5x more series and cartoon in Chinese and study 5x more podcast
lessons and 5x more textbook lessons, which is all that I do for Chinese in a day. This
accounts for about 2 hours and is more than what many of "us, who can focus" can devote
to their focus.

I fully agree and that is my point, when you study you tend to get bored. I could imagine myself getting
enough of Chinese if I were to study hanzi or individual sentences completely isolated like that. For me
personally these types of activities lack that interesting content that should be the driver. There are ways
such as mandarintools that can help you being able to begin with native content even in Chinese. Also when I
found out about LR here recently I had to check out the originator since we seem to agree on many points
and I read that she started Japanese with native content that was personally relevant directly. Imagine that, a
total beginner. It can be done. You should be fine with podcasts and cartoons if they are on the topics that
interest you and if you are getting comprehensive input and not just passively listening.

grunts67
Diglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5111 days ago

215 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 88 of 142
22 August 2013 at 11:44pm | IP Logged 
casamata wrote:
grunts67 wrote:
casamata wrote:

Dude, sorry, I didn't mean that they suck in the sense that they don't do anything for our ecosystems. I meant that they suck in the sense that we have people pooping out their guts thanks to giardi, which is "beaver fever." You don't like beavers *that* much, do you?

Hehe, I was just really critical like I love to do. No hard feeling. And beaver are strange creature but apart the fact that I get get fishes because of them, I 'm not that fond of them :)

Now, we should go back to the topic at hand which I find really interesting!

This discussion contains 142 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version