Diglot
Canada
Joined 4263 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 129 of 142
25 August 2013 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
My intention was not to make you leave this thread.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6389 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 130 of 142
25 August 2013 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
JC_Identity wrote:
Although I fully accept all the blame here I have to say that I think I understand a bit why the originator of LR left this forum. That was really unfortunate, it is hard being different.
She was banned.

The thing is, it's as if you want us to admit: "yes, I'm studying slower than I could because I'm learning more than one language." But it's not necessarily true even in absolute terms - and then the issue of motivation and actually getting stuff done comes into play. (kuji is becoming a canonical example here)
5 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4045 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 131 of 142
25 August 2013 at 1:17pm | IP Logged 
The problem is that the "one language at a time" people seem to be pushing the "truth" that their approach is best when that simply isn't true, and that's pretty off-putting as there are pages of evidence against it and all of it seems to get ignored.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4701 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 132 of 142
25 August 2013 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
JC_Identity wrote:
Without getting too philosophical it is perhaps also worth explaining that the reason I hold strong convictions is because I think that two opposing ideas cannot both be right (at the same time and in the same respect). I hold that there are no contradictions in reality.

Sorry, but I feel I have to get a bit philosophical here. Since you keep mentioning the law of identity, let's actually explain what it means. Most of what you describe here is accurate, but the problem you keep running into is the concept that "two opposing ideas cannot both be right". Now that is absolutely correct if you are talking about whether 1 + 1 = 2, or whether Atlantis existed. These are things which are absolutely correct or wrong, so the law of identity would say that if Atlantis existed, then it is not possible that it did not exist at the same time and place as it existed.

The real problem you have is not with the definition, but the application. You seem to think that it means if there are two different opinions, only one can be right. Or two methods of learning, only one can be best. But experience shows that different methods work differently for different people. Even more so, different methods combined work better in any individual than sticking to one method. What works well one week might not work well another week.

To put it succinctly, you seem to think that 1 + 1 = 2 precludes 1 / 1 = 1. These are not contradictions, they are different.

Or, as Plato asked Aristotle, "Is it farther to Sparta or by bus?"
10 persons have voted this message useful

blackbrich
United States
Joined 5021 days ago

13 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Korean

Message 133 of 142
25 August 2013 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
JC_Identity wrote:
I hold that there are no contradictions in reality.

This assumes that everyone has the same reality. We all have different viewpoints based on who we are and what we've seen and who's to say which is the realest reality.

Let's say one person is color blind, one person sees "normally", and one person sees even more colors than a "normal" person. Who sees the world in reality? The "normal" person because he sees the world as most do? Or the person that sees more colors because he sees more? What if someone else came along and saw even more colors?

Like someone else mentioned. One person is short and one is tall and there's a shelf. Is the shelf far away? To the tall person maybe not, to the short person probably so. Nobody is wrong.

We all have different talents, our brains work mostly the same but there are differences.What is synergy for one person is confusion for another.

Which is the best way? Who knows because we can't do experiments one two identical people coming from one point. The best we can do is assume what the best course of action that we should take on limited data.

I'm sure there is a natural world, but we can't tell if we see it or not because all we have to go on is these feeble senses we have.
2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5324 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 134 of 142
25 August 2013 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
JC has left this thread, so it's probably about time to wrap
up any further responses to him, specifically, and return to
the discussion of the larger language-learning issues. Thank
you!
6 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4414 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 135 of 142
25 August 2013 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Everyone has their own targets and needs. If your economic and social prospects can be boosted by knowing
two or three foreign languages in the B2-C1 range, why focus on trying to reach the all-conquering C2 in
one?

I didn't always have a strong interest in languages. My circumstances dictated that it would be a rather good
idea to attain a good standard in German and I found I enjoyed the process of learning and using the
language. I have since looked at other languages and I'm fully aware that this amounts to no more than
dabbling but I derive pleasure from even a superficial investigation. Sure, I could be toiling away trying to
approach C2 in my main foreign language but I don't actually need to reach that stage and I'd rather bumble
along the way I do at present.

Edited by beano on 26 August 2013 at 8:24am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4045 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 136 of 142
26 August 2013 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
Here's a direct response to the original post that I think wraps things up quite nicely;

Everyone should know the extents of their learning, what they are and are not capable of. The reason to why most people here aren't advising on studying any particular number of languages at the same time is simple; no one can tell you with how many simultaneous languages do you achieve highest efffectivity in. Some people need more time for the information to sink in than others; their figurative stomach is full of information and they need to digest before they can do any more. This threshold varies from person to person, and I find mine to be around two hours per language per day. After that point I feel like I need to let it sink in so that I can internalize what I have learned.

Luca mentioned in one of his videos that the reason he was studying one language at a time is because he felt enchanted or fascinated by the language at hand, and he had a systematic approach to it. If you have one language you really want to learn and you can do this, by all means go for it.

Then there are us, who are fascinated by multitudes of languages. If for example my threshold is at two hours a day, I can have as many languages simultaneously as I have periods of two hours in a day to devote to the study of those.

"I know from own experience that it is much more efficient" is a fallacious argument; you only have a sampling of one instance to back up your generalization, whereas the "water" that an argument like this holds needs a huge amount of samplings.

The reason people got so upset is because you're not only telling people that their approaches are wrong if they differ from yours, but also backing it up with fallacious arguments. Now I don't think this was intentional but it was certainly interpretable this way.

I'll rephrase the original argument so that it doesn't offend people and how I interpreted what it meant to say;

Find out how many languages you should study simultaneously to reach maximum effectiveness; this depends on a variety of things, ranging from free time to passion. However, you should not be lead to believe that learning multiple languages is the only or the best way to go by; you should find your own way of learning and acknowledge that some people achieve best results when focusing on one language at a time.

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 142 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version