Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 142
21 August 2013 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
That's not exactly true. While some skills still develop during such a time, others regress. It is needed to review some pieces from time to time because it an easily happen that an isolated mistake becomes fixed. And when you don't have opportunities to speak than just not practicing by alternatives (which we commonly use during the learning phases) can make you get rusty. It happened to me in past.

Yes, non natives of English have a significant disadvantage. As English is basically obligatory in today's world, one could get stuck for years without learning any language of choice.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4045 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 10 of 142
21 August 2013 at 4:26am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Yes, non natives of English have a significant disadvantage. As English is basically obligatory in today's world, one could get stuck for years without learning any language of choice.

Precisely! All my friends (studying chemical engineering at university) laugh when I say that I want to learn German. They see that I have less problems than others during English lessons, but they still think that there is no point in other languages when one big English problem exist. One of my friends is learning German since school and she always says that there is no point of doing that in university (though she have to) and that she'd better off studying English.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5073 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 11 of 142
21 August 2013 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
As someone who chides adult beginners who want to learn multiple languages at the same time before they've learned their first one at least to an intermediate level, I understand where the op is coming from. Most people here would not advise these beginning language learners to learn multiple languages simultaneously, on their own. The odds of success would be and are extremely small for this subset. Of course there are exceptions but I've not seen any in the over three years I've been here on the forum be successful. While they're free to do whatever they want, just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean that you should.

The multiple learners with at least one second language under their belt (or at intermediate level) are a different kettle of fish. It's not my place to criticize them for their choices. They know how to learn a language because they have already done so. The benefits that come from having learned at least one foreign language are huge and are something that raw beginners don't get to take advantage of because they don't yet know how to learn, what works for them and what doesn't. Having that first foreign language under your belt. so to speak, gives a huge advantage and discount in time and learning ability.

I, too, wonder about the multiple simultaneous learners who never seem to move one of their languages to the "speaks" column. But it does happen and it is not my place to criticize them for their learning choices or styles. Some, if not most, of the people with a list of languages under "studies" as long as your arm don't really study all of those languages at the same time just because they're in their list. Most will prioritize one with the most time and another one will get much less time and energy. The other seven or eight languages probably don't get much attention at all. Serpent and tarvos are good examples of successful multiple simultaneous learners. Kujichagulia would've stopped learning Japanese altogether if he hadn't gotten reinvigorated by learning Portuguese at the same time- he had his reasons and the strategy has worked well for him.

Some of the multiple simultaneous learners would love to be able to devote all their time to one language at a time but just can't for whatever reason. It may be burnout, wanderlust or just because they love learning. Perhaps it's the journey not the destination that matters to them. I'm the first to admit that there's no logic in it for me, but there doesn't have to be. If they enjoy what they're doing, are having fun and don't overly complain about their slower rate of progress- live and let live, but if you ever catch me with "Toki Pona" under my "studies" list, slap me ;)!
18 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4344 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 12 of 142
21 August 2013 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
There are obviously serious people on this board who love languages, and systematically learning them to at least an intermediate level. There are others who list a whole lot of languages that they are 'studying' because it sounds cool, or because they they have no idea how much work they will need to do.

I could list a pretty cool language set next to my name: my mother was Lithuanian and I learnt some as a child; I studied French to an intermediate level at school; and did two years of Arabic at university. I don't list any of these on my profile as my competency is too low for me to take seriously.

What is obvious to me now that I am getting deeper into German (and is obvious to anyone who has learnt a language outside of childhood) is that it's relatively easy to get to an intermediate level, but it takes seemingly forever to get to a proficient/fluent level.

I estimate it's going to take me three years relatively intensive daily study to get to a level in German I am happy with (and no doubt years more to get really good). Splitting up that time with two or more languages would just make the process insanely slow.

I think learning languages is at least as hard as learning a musical instrument. So what would you make of someone who says they have spent the last six months starting to learn piano, that they are bored now and want to start learning guitar? Or if they list that they are simultaneously learning guitar, harpsichord, oboe, cello, violin, and play rock, classical and jazz? Or that they play piano after learning it for a few hours a week for six months?

I guess you might think they love music, but are unlikely to get to an serious level in any of these instruments until they commit to one, but perhaps that doesn't matter if they are having fun or if they want to explore at a relatively shallow level the music properties of lots of different instruments and styles.

Edited by patrickwilken on 21 August 2013 at 8:32am

11 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4064 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 13 of 142
21 August 2013 at 8:41am | IP Logged 
Here's my explanation.

Russian has been my main focus for five months now. I'm pretty proud to say that I've made significant progress in it during these five months. However, I can only get in so much Russian in one day, but I would have time to study more. I could fill it with video games, but I'd rather dabble in different languages because it's fun and I get to learn about all sorts of cool things in them. I have a list of languages I want to learn, and I study all of them little by little here and there; I view this approach as "taking them out of the box." I'm taking the languages "out of the box" so that they're ready whenever I get the time to focus my attention on them, that I've already become sort of acquainted with the languages. This is not away from my Russian time and it's just a fun pastime among others.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 14 of 142
21 August 2013 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
I should mention in accordance with Iguanamon that I usually focus on one or two
languages at a time; yes my profile says I am studying Breton and Icelandic, and yes I
have spent time with both, but I am not really putting the hours into them right now
(for reasons too long to go into here).

I always focus on one, or two languages, particularly one I can use often. Because I
was abroad in Russia for almost a month it was Russian - but since I have become
satisfied with my current level of Russian, once university is over in 1,5 week I will
return to Romanian and Hebrew (particularly Romanian, which is at a much higher level).
The spread between languages is never equal and it is also not said that all of my
languages are super-impressive C2's - they are patently NOT. The reason I can juggle is
because a) I juggled five languages in high school, thus have experience and b) I know
what works because I learned English to an excellent level when I was a child and I
have a comparable experience (but with a moderately lower rate of success) in French.

The languages I speak the best and have devoted much time to are all languages I have
spoken often. I cannot count the hours of English, Russian or French I've used in the
past years. It is not surprising that these (plus German) are my best colloquial spoken
languages.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5916 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 15 of 142
21 August 2013 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
I like the quote in one of Khatzumoto's logs ["How many Languages"]:
   “better to have one or a few sharp knives in your kitchen, than many blunt knives“.

I qoute from his article:
"Too many of us language learners are dabblers, dilettantes, hobbyists. Of course, it depends on one’s goals. But if we really want the maximum benefits of knowing a language, I think those max benefits only come with (native-level) fluency. If you want to be able to actually cut stuff, you need a sharp knife. You want to be able to use your languages to do (cut) ANYTHING. And fast. Understand everything from standard to regional dialects, read fast, speak fast and correctly, write fast and correctly. Otherwise you just have a collection of blunt metal; it looks good on paper, but it doesn’t do anything or it doesn’t do enough."

I've been keeping this advice in the back of my mind for the past couple of months, because during the long intermediate stage of my L2, I'm particualrly prone to serious and repeated wanderlusting. I may not agree with the need to reach a native-like standard, as Khatzomoto says. I think C1 would be sharp enough for me.

Edited by Mooby on 21 August 2013 at 2:14pm

12 persons have voted this message useful

casamata
Joined 4073 days ago

237 posts - 377 votes 
Studies: Portuguese

Message 16 of 142
21 August 2013 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
casamata, well, here's the point - I seriously doubt that I'll ever reach satisfactory level in English.
I'm using native materials, but I think that I have somewhat limit of understanding, which could be reached only after hard work. Anyway, I don't want to think about studying English now, therefore I just can't focus on one language. And I don't believe that situation will ever change. For example, when I'll feel that my German is good enough, I would have wanted to study Swedish. Due to relation on German and Swedish, I could've use L2 again, but the basic language would be German. Plus inescapable English - whoa, 3 languages at one time.
Of course, I do not know if I'll really do it, but this is possible.

Do you have very high expectations for your English, is that why? Do you now like English? If so, then obviously it will be very hard to improve something that you don't like. The only way to improve understanding is by practicing a lot with language exchanges and input, no way really around it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 142 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version