Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5653 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 1 of 58
11 September 2013 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
I picked this book up the other day and am just finishing the last texts. Has anyone else here used it? The idea is to start from one Romance language (Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, or French) and learn to read/understand the other four languages quickly. Maybe not with 100% comprehension, but they say that in their trials with EuRom4 that students were typically reading at a B1/B2 level within 40 class hours in all four languages.

Essentially you get a text which you go through trying to understand as much as you can first without resorting to any outside help. Next the text is printed with annotations and symbols to help you figure out difficult points, grammar references in the back, with a vocabulary list at the end of potentially difficult words. Everything in the book is translated into all 5 languages.

I wish i'd found it earlier to be able to test it fairly, i've already studied most of the languages included and don't have much trouble reading in them. It has helped me in the two languages i hadn't studied much before, reading news articles is much easier for example, but i don't know about reading a book. I haven't tried yet, though.

I really like the idea of "intercomprehension", it'd be interesting to see (if they don't already exist) similar courses other language groups, like the Germanic and Slavic languages.

EDIT: Here are the decks for the Seven Sieves:

Profile words for all languages:
http://www.mirari.fr/Tr4U

To use it, you'll need to go through the cards first. It'll ask you to pick the words you want to learn, press "e" (edit) and put any value in the languages you want to study. If you don't know the Romanian word, for example, put a "1" in that field. You can pick as many fields as you want. If you want to look at the words again, you can click the "Continue now" button. Once you've selected them all, delete the value in the delete field. Continue selecting as many as you want. When you're ready to study them, go to "Tools->Empty Cards" and remove the empty cards. To get the cards to show up first, you'll need to go to the explorer, highlight them, and reposition them. So:
1. Press "e".
2. Type any character in the languages you want to study.
3. Delete the character from the "delete" field.
4. Pass the card and repeat with as many cards as you want.
5. When finished, go to "Tools->Empty Cards" to delete the empty cards.
6. Open the explorer and reposition the newly created cards.

It's a bit of work, but i couldn't find a cleaner solution. I've just started going through the list, here are some settings you might want for this deck.
1. Show new cards in the order they were added.
2. Show reviews first, then new cards.

If someone comes up with a better option, i'm all ears :)

Romanian minilex list:
http://www.mediafire.com/?cazu86f0f84al84

The Seven Sieves, vocabulary lists:
Completely Pan-Romance Vocabulary
Nucleus of the Pan-Romance Vocabulary
Supplementary Pan-Romance Vocabulary
Pan-Romance from Learned Latin
Pan-Romance from Germanic Languages
Romance Profile Words

Edited by Crush on 06 October 2013 at 6:45pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 3 of 58
11 September 2013 at 7:18pm | IP Logged 
I've had a look at the EuRom5 website, and it certainly does look interesting. Personally, I would prefer if they included English as well, so I would have more of a handle on the course, but I'd be quite interested in trying the course out once I'm more comfortable with French.
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5653 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 4 of 58
11 September 2013 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
English isn't a Romance language and the "intercomprehension" between English and the other languages isn't strong enough to make the same sort of progress you can between Romance languages.

erenko, how did you go about doing mL-R? That sounds interesting and i'd love to do that between several similar languages (like the Romance perhaps Scandinavian languages). I've been L-Ring Pinocchio, but i really would've liked to have used a Spanish translation instead as i think it would make the verbs much easier to figure out.

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4259 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 6 of 58
11 September 2013 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for creating a thread on this topic. I am really interested in the concept of intercomprehension. I was supposed to get eurom5 from my library but I was late so the reservation fell through and now I have to wait again. The wikipedia article also mentioned "Comprendre les langues romanes" but unfortunately, my library does not have this one.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5653 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 8 of 58
11 September 2013 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
@erenko: I've seen the Pinocchio text before, too. I think it was one of aYa's texts.

@Tsopivo: Some other books that sound interesting in the references:
-Bech, Brunet, Mastrelli: Quadrivio romanzo. Dall'italiano al francese, allo spagnolo, al portoghese (2008)
-Meissner, Meissner, Klein, Stegmann: EuroComRom. Les sept tamis: lire les langues romanes dès le départ (2004)
-Reinheimer, Tasmowski: Pratique des langues romanes (1997)
-Teyssier: Comprendre les langues romanes. Du français à l'espagnol, au portugais, à l'italien & au roumain (2004)

The last book sounds like the one you mention. There was also a EuRom4 and i read somewhere online, i think from the Instituto da Lingua Galega, that there's an EuRom8 in the works (with Romanian, Galician, and Occitan to be added).

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version