Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5664 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 17 of 58
12 September 2013 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
@Andy E: That's correct, there is no base language. It starts with 5 table of contents, one in each of the five languages (the order is always Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, and French). Then there's an introduction around 15 pages long, again the same text in all five languages. Then there are the texts, 20 texts that gradually get longer (they're divided into 3 categories, A-C. A texts are less than 200 words, B texts between 200-300, and C texts, between 300-400.

The vocab lists are made from each text (news articles pulled from the internet), so if you're reading a text in Italian the Italian words will be highlighted with the translations to either side, as the order is always Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, French. The vocabulary lists are at the end of each text, whereas the grammar/general notes are in an appendix in the back. There are markings to the side of the text referring to where you can find an explanation (in all five languages) of potentially confusing areas, though they mention that since the book is intended for speakers of all five languages you likely won't need to look up all the notes. They actually recommend that you try to understand as much as you can from context first before diving into the vocabulary lists, etc.

@stmc2: The book mentions that it's aimed at "educated" native speakers. I don't think it's necessary to be a native speaker, but i think it'd be much easier if you had a good grasp on at least one of the languages. They said that in their classes (university courses), around 40 hours of study were enough for students to be able to read at a B1-B2 level in the four languages they didn't know. I don't think a B1 level would give you the same advantage that being a native speaker would give you, but you'll still be able to find plenty of similarities between them. I also think that French is the language that tends to differ the most from the other four. The annotations would be simple enough to understand, but you'd be missing out on a lot of vocabulary and perhaps a little bit of grammar that might not be explained since it's fairly consistent throughout all five languages.

Audio is available on their website: http://www.eurom5.com/

You can also read the texts online where clicking on the words will pop up a window with the grammar notes (instead of having to flip to the back of the book).

EDIT: @lorinth: Yeah, the entire book is on the site but to register you need to answer a question about the book (what is the third word in paragraph two in the French section on page XXX, for example). However, if you know the link to the texts they don't actually check if you're logged in (for now). If you're interested talk to me through PM.

Edited by Crush on 12 September 2013 at 4:30pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6902 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 18 of 58
12 September 2013 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
@Crush

Thanks very much for that. This has got to be worth a punt.

1 person has voted this message useful

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4073 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 19 of 58
12 September 2013 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Crush, thanks, I own the book :-) I registered some time ago but I did not remember there
was some kind of test. Thanks anyway.

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5232 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 20 of 58
12 September 2013 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
This reminds me so much of EuroComRom and their book The Seven Sieves: How to read all the Romance languages right away, that I wonder if the projects are related.

Edited by dmaddock1 on 12 September 2013 at 7:35pm

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5664 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 21 of 58
12 September 2013 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
I've never seen that book before, but it's mentioned in the references at the back so it's very possible. I see there's also a EuroComGerm and EuroComSlav. Are these courses available online or are they just books? That's exactly the sort of thing i was looking for!

There's also some links on the EuRom5 site:
http://www.eurom5.com/p/links-2

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5232 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 22 of 58
12 September 2013 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
EuroComGerm is at least. You can download the book (in German of course), here.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5664 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 23 of 58
12 September 2013 at 9:11pm | IP Logged 
Ah, it's available for download but it isn't free. 10€ for the ebook and 30€ for the physical book. I'll be on the lookout for this book (and the other two) in shops here...

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6902 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 24 of 58
13 September 2013 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
As dmaddock1 noted, the German version's free.

-- of course, whether my German's up to doing anything with it is another matter :-)

Edited by Andy E on 13 September 2013 at 11:38am

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version