Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4708 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 9 of 58
11 September 2013 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
I clicked on the author names on the Amazon.co.uk page for EuRom5, and found this book:

Collection F - L'Intercompréhension : une autre approche pour l'enseignement des langues:Collection F - L'Intercompréhension : une autre approche pour ... langues (Nouvelle Formule) by Marie-Christine Jamet and Sandrine Caddéo (one of the EuRom5 authors). http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collection-LIntercompr%C3%A9hension- approche-lenseignement-ebook/dp/B00DDOCTZE/ref=sr_1_2?s=book s&ie=UTF8&qid=1378935970&sr=1-2
1 person has voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7020 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 10 of 58
12 September 2013 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
Tsopivo wrote:
Thanks for creating a thread on this topic. I am really interested in the concept of intercomprehension. I was supposed to get eurom5 from my library but I was late so the reservation fell through and now I have to wait again. The wikipedia article also mentioned "Comprendre les langues romanes" but unfortunately, my library does not have this one.

I bought "Comprendre les langues romanes" from France, but you can buy it here in Canada a little over $40 on Amazon.ca. It compares Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese and Romanian.
I am still focusing on my other three languages, so French will have to be done later. I am actually doing the comparative readings out loud Professor Arguelles recommended in the Self teacher Berlitz course, but with Assimil and Harry Potter.

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4270 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 11 of 58
12 September 2013 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
Thank you all for the references. I also found out that my library has : S'entendre entre langues voisines : vers l'intercompréhension / sous la direction de Virginie Conti et François Grin and it is immediately available so I will probably check it out before the end of the week.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5006 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 12 of 58
12 September 2013 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
This looks really interesting to me, I'm sure I'll pick up a copy sooner or later, thanks! The similarities between the languages are a huge benefit so I might as well put some time into exploiting them! I don't have any plans to seriously study Portuguese or Catalan for example, but studying the others has given me some passive understanding of them and I'd happily invest a few hours in developing that.

Another book that goes into a lot of detail about the links between the Romance languages and their origins, as well as the Germanic ones, is The Loom Of Languages. It's a bit old and dated, but very interesting.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5664 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 13 of 58
12 September 2013 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
The idea isn't necessarily to learn the other languages but learning how to communicate with people who speak those languages and being able to read. I think it's worthwhile even if you don't plan on learning to speak those languages, it opens up a whole new world of movies, books, etc.

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6902 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 14 of 58
12 September 2013 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
This looks very interesting. I note you say

Crush wrote:
Everything in the book is translated into all 5 languages.

I take that to mean that there is no such thing as a base language and the fact that
the UK Amazon site offers two different items with different ISBNs is just down to
differing publishers and that in reality it's the same book.

Lire-
comprendre-langues-romanes/dp/2856082777

Leggere-
capire-lingue-romanze/dp/8820345447

stmc2
Diglot
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6050 days ago

45 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: German

Message 15 of 58
12 September 2013 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
I presume that they are different books with French and Italian being the two different base languages. There must be a base language in order for the vocab list and annotations to be in there. Maybe amazon isn't selling the other three versions yet.

To the OP. How good doesn't one have to be in one of the languages to start this book. I have finished Assimil New French with Ease (A2/B1). Would this be enough to understand the annotations etc? Also, is there an audio too? I imagine that it would lead to a lot of misunderstanding if this wasn't available.

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4073 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 16 of 58
12 September 2013 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
@stmc2

Audio is available on their site.

There are also sample pages, so you can check whether your level is good enough to
understand the comments.

Edit: In fact, unless I'm mistaken, the whole book, with texts, annotations and audio, is
available on their site if you register.

Edited by lorinth on 12 September 2013 at 4:25pm

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version