411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 33 of 58
14 September 2013 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
sans-serif wrote:
tommus wrote:
Andy E wrote:
As dmaddock1 noted, the German version's free.

-- of course, whether my German's up to doing anything with it is another matter :-)

The Table of Contents is free. But that doesn't seem to be all that useful!!!

No, above it you have a download link to a pdf file of the entire book.

EDIT:
I'll take that back. The PDF used to be free, though. Not so anymore, apparently.

EDIT2:
Nope, I was only half wrong: EuroComRom is available as a free download. The link is here. EuroComGerm, which I was looking at earlier is a different story, however.

I was hoping for a Romance only version, but that can just be more incentive to learn German quickly.

Edited by Darklight1216 on 14 September 2013 at 4:33pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5663 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 34 of 58
14 September 2013 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
There's also an English version of the book floating around the internet and i've seen versions in Catalan and Portuguese for sale online as well. Actually, a quick look at the Shaker.de site shows translations in: Romanian, Galician, Dutch, German, Catalan, Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and English.

EDIT: And audio is available here:
http://www.eurocom.uni-frankfurt.de/audio/

Edited by Crush on 14 September 2013 at 7:01pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6901 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 35 of 58
17 September 2013 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
And audio is available here:
http://www.eurocom.uni-
frankfurt.de/audio/

Thanks.

I feel I might have dismissed Eurocom too readily previously - the website comes across
as a little old-fashioned; the animated gifs being a bit naff among other things. But
I've been reading through the manual and there's a wealth of information there and now
as I review online the texts and exercises connected to the various "sieves", it's
clear I was a little harsh.

Regarding Eurom5, I had initially assumed that all texts would be presented in all
languages (translated where necessary) and I wonder when using these whether there's
anything to be gained from languages you already know. I can read the French and the
Spanish articles without recourse to any inter-comprehension strategies, so at the
moment I'm just inclined to ignore resources presented in those two Romance languages
as I can't see any utility in them.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5663 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 36 of 58
18 September 2013 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
I'm really excited about the EuroCom method, reading the introduction and the summary of the different sieves i'm excited to see how it'll turn out, in particular for Romanian which seems so different from the other Romance languages.

I also skipped the Spanish texts in EuRom5 and used the French/Catalan texts for listening practice. I don't think there's any issue with that other than maybe not seeing the translations of confusing words in the other languages.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that i've been reading news articles in Portuguese and Italian lately, i'm not understanding everything and it's bothering me (especially with Portuguese) not being able to pronounce what i'm reading very reliably in my head, but it's interesting what i can understand. I can't say if it's completely due to EuRom5 or not, but reading at least short news articles online isn't beyond me now. It'd be interesting to see the before/afters of people who only had experience in one of the five languages.

I'd also like to get feedback on EuroComGerm/Slav.

Edited by Crush on 18 September 2013 at 12:51am

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6901 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 

Message 37 of 58
18 September 2013 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I'm really excited about the EuroCom method, reading the introduction
and the summary of the different sieves i'm excited to see how it'll turn out, in
particular for Romanian which seems so different from the other Romance languages.

What you're saying definitely strikes a chord. I've started downloading versions of The
Little Prince in the EuroComRom languages and putting paragraphs into a Word document
in tabular form.... landscape mode, one column per language, one row per one or two
paragraphs.

It's immediately apparent that Romanian is going to give me the most problems. I know a
fair bit of Italian and some Catalan but no Portuguese and no Romanian but of the
latter two I can currently only pick out the odd word here and there of the Romanian
text even though I "know" what it says based on the other five texts. Of course, some
of that is going to be down to the translation.

It's also a pain, as you've noted, not having much of a clue on the pronunciation but
that can be worked on as an adjunct.

I was also interested to find with EuroComRom there's some examination (however minor)
of Occitan and Sardinian including some spoken text in the audio section as I know
little to nothing about either(*) - I do remember an "discussion" here a long time ago
about the use of Old Sardinian instead of Latin as a useful starting point for the
Romance languages.

(*)of course, there is an Assimil Occitan course if I really want to pursue that
avenue.

Edited by Andy E on 18 September 2013 at 6:13pm

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5663 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 38 of 58
18 September 2013 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Regarding Occitan there was an episode of "Caçadors de paraules" dedicated to Aranese.

I haven't finished reading through EuroCom, but there are a lot of interesting things in there. They mention for example that the Romanian "mb" corresponds to "ng" in the other Romance languages (limba -> lingua), "pt" to the Spanish "ch" (noapte -> noche, luptă -> lucha), etc.

Like you, i can get by (reading) in the other languages (i haven't gotten to the Sardinian text yet, though), the Romanian texts require a lot more concentration.

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6901 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 

Message 39 of 58
19 September 2013 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
Regarding Occitan there was an episode of "Caçadors de paraules" dedicated to Aranese.

Thanks. I had high hopes when a few subtitles appeared at the start but sadly my comprehension wasn't up to getting most of it :-)

Quote:
I haven't finished reading through EuroCom, but there are a lot of interesting things in there. They mention for example that the Romanian "mb" corresponds to "ng" in the other Romance languages (limba -> lingua), "pt" to the Spanish "ch" (noapte -> noche, luptă -> lucha), etc.

Yes. I skim-read large chunks of the text initially but I've now gone back to Sieve 3 to work on better understanding the sound correspondences.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5663 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 40 of 58
22 September 2013 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
I've just finished the fourth sieve but think i'm going to need to read through some of the sieves a couple times more before getting everything down. However i did try reading an article in Romanian today, and while i didn't understand 100% i was able to figure out what it was talking about and get a general idea about what was said. I never felt any urge to really study more Romance languages, but the idea of being able to read/understand a large number of them is starting to pique my interest. In particular Sardinian and Romanian. Maybe one day i'll be able to do the same with the Germanic languages...

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version