United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 4888 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai

Message 17 of 34
16 October 2013 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Thank you for the kind words Solfrid Cristin, alongside you there are a lot of people
who I can say i'm grateful for seeing in videos on youtube, seeing people speak any
language keeps me inspired and truely interested in languages. So people such as Benny,
Laoshu505000 (Moses), Fasulye, loki2504, Maha (LearnArabicwithMaha - she subscribed to
my channel last week!), Luca and especially Richard Simcott, I personally feel like
Richard is someone I aspire to for being from the same country.

Especially Tim Doner, given the fact he's younger than I am and speaks a heck load more
languages than I do, I would just think it would be interesting to speak to him not
just in English, plus as we're both English native speakers, I slightly feel like we
share some common grounds based on culture and languages.

In general, anyone with an interest in language or culture i'm happy to speak with.

1 person has voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4157 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 18 of 34
16 October 2013 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
Ooo this is a tough one! In no particular order:

Chung- He studies Slavic languages, which have become my favorite language family.

Mooby- On the same TAC team and has always been extremely supportive and has detailed logs even throwing in elements of humor into his posts.

Amerykanka- Again, on my team, and I would love to learn from her how to activate my Polish.

Emk- He probably has the most detailed and helpful posts here.

TanyaB- I've only seen snippets of her story how she learned Russian and Armenian, and I would really like to know more, because her method seemed to work very well.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 19 of 34
17 December 2013 at 11:34pm | IP Logged 
I can't believe I missed this thread. Maybe I don't have a good answer for the question Chung posed, but I think I'd like to meet everyone here who posts regularly.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4427 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 20 of 34
18 December 2013 at 9:39am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Ogrim - who is basically a gentler, more polite, male version of me (we are both Norwegian and share most of the same languages) - next Christmas in Oslo?

Thank you for the compliment Cristina! I would love to meet you, but this year I am going to Spain for Christmas, so it will have to wait.

I've refrained from writing in this thread, becuase either I would have to make a list as long as Cristina's, or I would have to decide on just a couple of names amongst many. So let's just say that, since Cristina is basically a more lively, extrovert female version of me, I make her list my own, adding Cristina on it instead of myself.

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5007 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 21 of 34
18 December 2013 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
oooh Berlin.... I've not been there since, well, since before some of you were born. That's it, I'm in.

Now I know why I'd been thinking of brushing up my German - there is obviously a subliminal message going around!

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4439 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 22 of 34
18 December 2013 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
sctroyenne wrote:
I'm actually kind of surprised that there haven't been organized
regional meetups for
this forum before. Other online communities I've participated in have eventually made
that step. I've met Swift and chatted about leveling up in French to become fluent
enough
to study in France. It's nice to have online discussions but it's not quite the same as
having a lively chat in person (plus it's a nice confirmation that flesh and blood
people
like you with your same niche interests really do exist).

Well, there is now a HTLAL "Language Learning Den" Google+ Community.
It was partly, or mainly for organising hangouts for practicing one's TLs, but no
reason (I would have thought) why hangouts can't be used for general talk about
languages.

I don't have G+, is there a HTLAL Facebook group?
And I agree that regional meetups sound like a great idea.

My list of people I'd like to meet:
- Arekkusu - we could swap observations on hearing-impairment in language learning
- Polish team members - I'd be happy to help them with Polish
- Solfrid Cristin - 'nuff said

... and some more, I believe.

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5571 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 23 of 34
19 December 2013 at 3:31am | IP Logged 
Moses: my favourite poyglot because of his cool attitude and lack of fear to be himself. I'd like to be more
like him.

Khatzumoto: I'm just in awe of this guy.

Cainntear: just liked him and he was also very interesting.

Iversen and Chung: language nerds I could pump for info. I have the strong suspicion that, like me, they're
more curious about how different languages are put together than anything else and that learning them is
just a pleasant byproduct.

Prof A: my second favourite polyglot, just love him.

mrwarper: as with SF's reasons.

James29: is he as nice in real life?

EMK: love his honesty. As with James29, I wonder if he's as nice in real life.

Clugston...ha ha, just kidding about this one. I'd probably end up telling him what a c*** he is and get
beaten up.

Edited by Random review on 19 December 2013 at 3:31am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 24 of 34
01 January 2014 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Serpent - who might possibly be the one person on the planet who might make me watch a football match, who is a force of nature and incredibly impressive with all her languages - she has the energy of an entire football team!!!
Thank you, Cristina! You're probably the one person on the planet with whom I'd happily watch a football match in Russian ;) Goes without saying that I would love to meet you.

Thanks to Chung, Bao and tarvos as well! It's mutual, of course :)

I would also really love to meet Zimena. She's not posted that much yet, but we know each other really well outside the forum and I love speaking with her about languages (and football ♥ and everything else in the world, really ;))

A special mention to the people I've already met before and will be happy to meet again: Leopejo, Gosiak and espejismo.

And finally... I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Amerykanka, Cavesa, Evita, Expugnator, fabriciocarraro, geoffw, Henkkles, iguanamon, Iversen, jeff_lindqvist, Julie, Kerrie, kujichagulia, Medulin, montmorency, renaissancemedi, sans-serif, tanya b, Via Diva, Volte. You know what we have in common :)

Wait, this wasn't final yet. There are also people whose posts I love even if there's not quite as much overlap between our (focus) languages. They are Arekkusu, Ari, emk, kanewai, Sprachprofi and zecchino1991.

Thanks for being part of this forum!

9 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 34 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version