Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
41 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>
Papashaw1
Australia
Joined 3819 days ago

30 posts - 35 votes

Message 1 of 41
25 November 2013 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
What are some of the newest grammatical feature to appear recently in any particular language you know of.

There is a German continuous I hear that may have gained popularity among the young, I don't know if it can be
combined with the perfect, future, and past though. I also read of some sort of double perfect (Ich habe gehabt),
which I am not sure of its purpose, but it goes back centuries.

English has the habitual be that never caught(yet) on with others so I don't know what may become of it. Its been
pretty steady for English where I've been and not much has mutated yet, I would love to use the habitual be but it
would sound very very awkward. No 2nd person plural yet in heavy use. Singular they is doing well though.

Mandarin is also pretty regulated tightly, and I haven't been to China recently so I don't know if there is anything
new. Maybe some of the other dialects are changing.
1 person has voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4456 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 2 of 41
25 November 2013 at 3:17pm | IP Logged 
In Brazilian Portuguese, I guess it's gerundismo and queísmo in informal language:

Vamos estar lhe mandando = We'll be sending it to you...
A garota que eu gosto. = The girl I like...

substitution of some forms (both belong to the standard language):
in the past: depois de ela ter ido embora (older) = depois que ela foi embora...(newer)
in the future: vou ficar triste depois de você ir embora (older) = vou ficar triste depois que você for embora (newer)

-

in slangy Northern Peninsular Spanish and neutral Bolivian/Peruvian Spanish it's the use of present perfect with definite past adverbials: Ayer he ido...
In colloquial Peninsular Spanish the use of present perfect with Desde que (English since): Desde que te has ido (instead of Desde que te fuiste...), in Peninsular Spanish the use of the phrase ''desde que soy niño'' with the meaning of ''ever since I was a child'', the use of imperfective subjunctive instead of perfective subjunctive after a present verb in the main clause: Espero que llegara ayer (instead of Espero que haya llegado ayer)...

-

In Norwegian, ongoing socio-linguistic changes: dialect leveling and gradual shifts from dialects to radical Bokmål (or Bokmålized Nynorsk in Western Norway) in the spoken language and conservative/moderate Bokmål in the written language:
http://www.degruyter.com/dg/viewarticle/j$002fijsl.2009.2009 .issue-196-197$002fijsl.2009.015$002fijsl.2009.015.xml;jsess ionid=B0C8457B6AE4B912729384FA38C66ACC

Edited by Medulin on 25 November 2013 at 4:02pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Lugubert
Heptaglot
Sweden
Joined 6655 days ago

186 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, Danish, Norwegian, EnglishC2, German, Dutch, French
Studies: Mandarin, Hindi

Message 3 of 41
18 December 2013 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
For German, I think that the imperfect is yielding to the perfect: Ich las in der Zeitung, dass ... > Ich habe in der Zeitung gelesen, dass ...

For Swedish, there's an emerging loss of the infinitive marker after some verbs:

Vi kommer diskutera frågan "We'll discuss the question". Traditionalists like yours truly would be highly embarrassed if not making it Vi kommer att diskutera frågan.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4616 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 4 of 41
18 December 2013 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
Papashaw1 wrote:
What are some of the newest grammatical feature to appear recently
in any particular language you know of.

There is a German continuous I hear that may have gained popularity among the young, I
don't know if it can be
combined with the perfect, future, and past though. I also read of some sort of double
perfect (Ich habe gehabt),
which I am not sure of its purpose, but it goes back centuries.

I think I read an example of that very recently, in "Effi Briest" (late 19th century),
in about chapter 6, and thought at first it was the pluperfect (Plusquamperfekt), and
then realised there was something "odd" about it.

I will have to look out for further examples.

In English, I constantly notice people getting confused between the simple past form,
and the past participle form, of strong verbs.

e.g. they will say "I have drank" instead of "I drank".
Or "I drunk" instead of "I drank".

I presume that this kind of thing will eventually lead to their decay and death, and
we'll end up with almost all regular verbs.

I've been told that in some areas, there are dialect forms of verbs making them strong
verbs in dialect, although they are weak in standard English. Unfortunately, I can't
remember any examples.

EDIT: Oh yes, in German, the genitive is supposed to be giving way to the dative, and
this book series
has been discussed here on occasion.

Edited by montmorency on 18 December 2013 at 10:45am

Spasty
Groupie
United States
Joined 6657 days ago

92 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French

Message 5 of 41
18 December 2013 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:

I've been told that in some areas, there are dialect forms of verbs making them strong
verbs in dialect, although they are weak in standard English. Unfortunately, I can't
remember any examples.

In the US (Midwest) I've heard 'preach' ~ 'praught' instead of 'preached,' and I always
catch myself saying 'blound' instead of 'blinded'.
2 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3887 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 6 of 41
18 December 2013 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
I've been told that in some areas, there are dialect forms of verbs making them strong verbs in dialect, although they are weak in standard English. Unfortunately, I can't remember any examples.

I would have assumed that was the opposite of a recent development, though, and rather a failure to fully standardise/assimilate...?

Maybe I'm just making assumptions based on Swedish. I use many strong verb conjugations myself that are considered provincial (lysa-lös-lusit, ryka-rök-rukit), antiquated (simma-sam-summit), or, usually, both. I had to learn the weak modern/standardised forms in school.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4456 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 7 of 41
18 December 2013 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
In North American English,
some irregular verbs are becoming regular: slay, slain, slain -> slay, slayed, slayed
while some regular verbs are becoming irregular: sneak, sneaked, sneaked ---> sneak, snuck, snuck

(My Firefox US English spell checker has just underlined slayed and snuck).

---
First verbs in English were conjugated in traditional Nynorsk fashion:
regular non-strong verbs are verbs like å kasta, kastar, kasta, har kasta
or in English: to cast, (I) cast, cast, have cast

In old language there were only weak verbs like cast, cast, cast - hit, hit, hit,
and strong verbs like slay, slain, slain...

-ed form (-et in Norwegian Bokmaal, -te/-de in Norwegian Bokmaal and in Nynorsk) came later.

Edited by Medulin on 18 December 2013 at 3:57pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4616 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 8 of 41
19 December 2013 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Spasty wrote:

In the US (Midwest) I've heard 'preach' ~ 'praught' instead of 'preached,' and I always
catch myself saying 'blound' instead of 'blinded'.

Isn't there also the (slightly humorous?) "dove" for "dived"?

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version