41 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 46  Next >>
ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5016 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 33 of 41
30 December 2013 at 8:24pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
ScottScheule wrote:
On the other hand, "spelt" is simpler than "spelled."
But spelled follows the mainstream rule and spelt looks like an irregular exception. It's all very subjective.

But not infinitely so.

"Spelt" does look like an irregular exception, but that's because people apply the rule: 1. add -ed to form past tense (and change pronunciation according to its environment), and not 2. add -t when verb lemma ends in an unvoiced consonant (as well as, in this case, a liquid). If we use the latter rule, spelt is regular. And the latter rule, which would result in a tighter sound to spelling ratio, would be, I maintain, simpler overall.

Of course, as was pointed out above, this is a bad example, since there are two different pronunciations of the past tense of spell. Kiss would be a better example.

Addendum: Since "spell" is a bad example, in my post below I've replaced it with "kiss."

Edited by ScottScheule on 30 December 2013 at 8:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 34 of 41
30 December 2013 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Actually l is a voiced sound... would make more sense to have a d there.

You could use the same rule as in Dutch, where verbs stems ending in a voiceless
consonant take t and voiced ones take d (given that /g/ is considered voiced).

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5016 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 35 of 41
30 December 2013 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
Tarvos,

Right, see the parenthetical following that sentence. -d is added, but, as other posters have pointed out, spelt is an accepted variant. Regardless, just to remove any confusion, let me replace the post with a better example:

"Kist" does look like an irregular exception, but that's because people apply the rule: 1. add -ed to form past tense (and change pronunciation according to its environment), and not 2. add -t when verb lemma ends in an unvoiced consonant. If we use the latter rule, kist is regular. And the latter rule, which would result in a tighter sound to spelling ratio, would be, I maintain, simpler overall.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 36 of 41
30 December 2013 at 9:04pm | IP Logged 
It's not uncommon to devoice final consonants, even if you write d in Dutch at the end
"betaald" (paid) you still pronounce "betaalt". It doesn't surprise me that it's a
variant at all.

I agree with lemma 2. That's the Dutch rule. Unfortunately Dutch people seem not to have
grasped that one either.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5016 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 

Message 37 of 41
30 December 2013 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
It's one of the smaller problems regarding English spelling, I agree. But note the final consonant isn't being devoiced as a rule--rather it's assimilating the voiced/non-voiced quality of the consonant preceding it. This is different than German, where the last consonant is devoiced, no matter what it's preceding consonant is.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 38 of 41
30 December 2013 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
It's one of the smaller problems regarding English spelling, I
agree. But note the final consonant isn't being devoiced as a rule--rather it's
assimilating the voiced/non-voiced quality of the consonant preceding it. This is
different than German, where the last consonant is devoiced, no matter what it's
preceding consonant is.

L is voiced, so then there should be a d. That is my point exactly.

Yes, in German the final consonant is always devoiced (and in Dutch too for that matter),
but Dutch also assimilates consonants (even across word boundaries).

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5016 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 

Message 39 of 41
30 December 2013 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

L is voiced, so then there should be a d. That is my point exactly.

Yes, but you say it's pronounced betaalt, no, with a devoiced sound? I'm saying that's a different phenomenon than English, where, say, "spelled" is pronounced not with a [t], but [d].

Edited by ScottScheule on 30 December 2013 at 10:37pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 

Message 40 of 41
30 December 2013 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Yes, but in the verb form betaalde it IS pronounced with a d.

Edited by tarvos on 30 December 2013 at 11:14pm

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version