Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4422 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 25 of 69
15 February 2014 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Mmmh Interesting stuff about the Ant tribe! I had heard about it a long long time ago but
had totally forgot. I don't have the level to read it for now (that's sure) but I'll keep
it for later and will try watching the drama for it!

I had never heard of the Rat tribe but that's also really interesting as I might become
one..! :p
1 person has voted this message useful

lorinth
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4064 days ago

443 posts - 581 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Mandarin, Finnish

Message 26 of 69
15 February 2014 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for sharing that link to 蚁族, ninibo. I'll try and see whether I'm able to read it.

Ninibo
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 3806 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 27 of 69
15 February 2014 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Lorinth, if you start it and find the beginning too difficult, skip it and try again from the chapter 第二篇 “蚂蚁”传奇. I think there's less scientific-y vocabulary and might be easier than the beginning.

Ninibo
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 3806 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 

Message 28 of 69
18 February 2014 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
I finished 蚁族 yesterday evening and i have to say i really liked it. The beginning of the book described the method and purpose of the study and summarized the original research for a wider audience and the rest were mainly first hand accounts of members of the Ant Tribe. It was really interesting to see how different people saw their situation, even though all of them dreamt of better jobs, flats and so on, but some tried to find the good in their situation while others despaired. I do own the following book that was published some years after the first, but that will have to wait, i want to switch up my reading again.
With this book i am at 1006 pages read. The next book is some kind of easy detective YA fiction called 第十二夜XZY谋杀案 by 璇儿. It only about 200 pages long, so i should be through with it quite soon.

On another note, i decided to change the film portion of my challenge. I wrote that i wanted to watch 300 movies this year, but frankly, i don't even know what made me write that, because i'll never watch that much... Another thing is the fact that i have to come to terms with not liking TV dramas very much. So instead i will commit to a certain amount of minutes i want to watch this year, but only count those shows/documentaries/series that are at least 30 minutes long. This way i don't have to track every little thing. I chose 10000 minutes, because that's just slightly more than 100 movies, if you say that every movie has to be 90 minutes long. Maybe i'll even count podcasts, i dont know...

I already found the song i want to translate for the team challenge this month, so that'll come soon.

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5875 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 29 of 69
19 February 2014 at 9:35am | IP Logged 
There might be something interesting to watch at coursera. This was posted by Sprachprofi and I've been keeping it because it looks so good. It's too advanced for me so I'm not able to make any use of it at all. If you find anything interesting please write about it so I can enjoy it vicariously he-he! ;)

Ninibo
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 3806 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 

Message 30 of 69
19 February 2014 at 4:28pm | IP Logged 
Funny that you mention Coursera, Sunja. I'm actually doing a course in dinosaurs on there right now! Thanks!
There are some tempting courses on literature on there, but unfortunately for me most of them are in traditional characters... I'm really, really slow at reading those. As soon as i see them in a text my brain is like "yeah, no" and shuts down. Can you join courses that have already ended and just watch the videos? That might be something i might do.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5655 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 31 of 69
19 February 2014 at 8:15pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure if you can see old courses (many courses are repeated, so maybe seeing old courses would allow people to more easily "作弊"?). What you might consider doing is joining several courses that interest you now and downloading the videos for later. You should also be able to access courses you've signed up for previously, for example i just checked a French course on programming that ended over there months ago and i can still view all the videos. So signing up for courses that are going on now or about to start might make it easier to watch later on. Actually, i think i'm going to do that with some Chinese courses now :)

Ninibo
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 3806 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 

Message 32 of 69
20 February 2014 at 8:45am | IP Logged 
Great idea, Crush, thank you. I'll probably do that for a lot of the interesting Chinese and French courses.

Btw, dinosaurs.Have a documentary on their extinction on youtube 自然传奇 恐龙灭绝真相. You know, for studying. ;)

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version