Germany
Joined 3805 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 65 of 69
12 April 2014 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
@Expugnator
Thanks! That sounds great, i'll keep that in mind.

@shk00design
I live in a very small city, so there are only a handful of Chinese living here and they usually are elderly and fluent in German, because they are mostly women married to Germans. That's why i thought using Skype might be a good start, even though, you are right of course, that meeting people face to face would be better. I'll move next year, so hopefully i'll have more luck there, but i didn't want to wait until then.

I've watched a few of Stuart Jay Raj's videos and he always struck me as a really fun guy. A video about is private library he made after a lot of people reduced his accomplishments to talent is my favorite, because it shows that talent is not enough to learn a language. Unlike him i don't think i'll learn more than one language with tones, i'd always really scared other tonal languages would mess with my Mandarin.

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4955 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 66 of 69
12 April 2014 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
I am Really curious about learning another tonal language, maybe Vietnamese'. I heard that initials and
features such as glottal stops play a role at diferentiating one tone from another, so I believe it is usually not
like Mandarin,

Ninibo
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 3805 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 

Message 67 of 69
12 April 2014 at 5:29pm | IP Logged 
Who knows, maybe some years down the line, when i'm satisfied with my Mandarin i'll think differently, but i'm pretty sure that at the moment another tonal language is more than i can handle.
Anyway, the other two languages i want to learn in life are French and Japanese, so i guess it's going to take some years until i think about another language.

Ninibo
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 3805 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 

Message 68 of 69
21 April 2014 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
The forum has been unavailable for me for the past few weeks, so I made myself scarce here.
I just signed up for the Super Challenge, hoping that now I'll watch more movies in Chinese, instead of just reading, but we'll see.
Note to self: Don't forget to register with the Twitter Bot!

Ninibo
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 3805 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 

Message 69 of 69
01 May 2014 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
It is the first of May, which means the Super Challenge is starting today! My handle for the twitter bot is @Goldfishfactory, but I'm not sure how extensively I'll use it. I'm a bit busy at the moment, so we'll see how that goes.

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version