Diglot
United States
Joined 4498 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 193 of 213
01 April 2014 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
Great. Anyone have any ideas for what they'd like to do in the April challenge?

A hearty congratulations to Vos, who was the sole champion for March. :-P
1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6704 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 194 of 213
01 April 2014 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
March was a hectic month for me (Irish and Old Irish took most of my focus), and the closest thing to Dutch studies was the other day when I read a CD review in a Belgian online magazine (maybe it was in Flemish, then?).

I hope I'll be able to catch up in April!

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4024 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 195 of 213
02 April 2014 at 6:46am | IP Logged 
Hekje wrote:
A hearty congratulations to Vos, who was the sole champion for March. :-P

Ahem?

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4498 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 196 of 213
03 April 2014 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Suzie wrote:
Ahem?

Oh my gosh, I'm sorry Suzie! It's been such a crazy month at work, I am braindead and completely missed your great post. Everyone please congratulate Suzie too. :-)

Now that I'm listening to "Hendrik Haan", I actually love the frumpiness. And it has a moral too, like all good old-fashioned songs.

Reminds me a little of the super-cheesy song '(Ja dat is) Peter'. The video is really something, you have to see it to believe it.

jeff_lindqvist - Thanks for the update! March was a slow month for me too. Hopefully we'll both get on track in April.

Edited by Hekje on 03 April 2014 at 5:37pm

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4024 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 197 of 213
04 April 2014 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
LOL, hi Hekje, never mind!

I am a bit surprised myself that I actually did the challenge. But "Peter" really is something, too! Really had fun watching it, thanks, Hekje! Youtube really is a treasure chest!

2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 198 of 213
08 April 2014 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
Hello...
   I'm back! I restarted studying Dutch :)

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5271 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 199 of 213
08 April 2014 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
Vos wrote:
Great to see another person on the Dutch bandwagon! Great stuff Peter. Hoe
gaat het tot nu toe?

this is weird... when i wasn't studying Dutch I wrote rather easily in Dutch. Now that
i've returned to study i seem to be reluctant- must be a feeling of not being good
enough with my grammar. Vos I sent you a PM being a fellow Australian learning Dutch,
but then looking back over the team's log realized that you'd asked me a qn. So here's
a convoluted reply...

...I've done Dutch on and off stop start for many years but altogether it may only be a
year or 2 at best of studying the language. I've never really made it into the advanced
arena of the language in my opinion due to the stopping and starting. I studied using
many courses- a method I've used for both French and Spanish as well, and although I'm
informed it is flawed (and I agree) it seems like I'm comfortable with it, and maybe
too comfortable really, but i'll get there with perseverance.

Anyway, right now i've started again after a long hiatus from the language and am using
Dutch VocabuLearn and Hugo Dutch in 3 Months. After a little less than 3 weeks I've
entered close to a thousand flashcards into my new Dutch deck (entering every new word-
by 'new' i mean any word that hasn't been entered into my deck before- which is EVERY
word). I'm up to week 6 of Hugo Dutch in 3 Months- the only reason i'm not much further
along is I'm entering flashcards, including 'grammar cards' which although i'm doing
them rather quickly do require a certain amount of time.

A little further background... In 2011 my wife and i were in Maastricht for 5 months (I
intended on staying, but it didn't work out that way). My wife began studying French
again recently (not as keen on languages as myself) but has now dropped that in favour
of Dutch for the time being. The reason she has done so is because we are contemplating
a return to the Netherlands in a few years perhaps. Part of the reason we 'failed' or
'returned back to Aus. earlier' was due to our language levels not being high enough to
land decent employment. It could've been better planned but in the end we had an
adventure. How are your Dutch studies coming along Vos?

PM

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5271 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 200 of 213
08 April 2014 at 5:21am | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:
Hello...
   I'm back! I restarted studying Dutch :)

Welcome back!! (not that we met online before). So welcome back and nice to see you here!

This discussion contains 213 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version