forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 17 of 120
15 December 2013 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
TAC 2014 Korean Goals: Detailed

Some of these goals are actually a bit lower than I've done in the past, but that is mostly
to ensure I can consistently meet them given that I'm doing the TAC for two languages
this year. I don't want to end up with Korean goals so lofty that they stamp out any
chance of meeting the Spanish goals (or vice-versa).

GRAMMAR

1) Bring out the existing grammar info from my existing SRS deck

The first part of this is to unsuspend any grammar lessons that got suspended in my
"pause everything older than a year" sweep. Then I need to find any cards with grammar
points (especially those I'm still vague about) and make sure there are grammar cards
for them (not just grammar comments on vocab or sentence cards).

2) Return to and complete the Let's Speak Korean videos (and SRS any new grammar
forms or idiomatic phrases)

Despite the endorsement I've frequently given for this series to beginners, I actually only
made it through 138 episodes out of 260 total (and learned a lot by SRSing the info
from those 138 lessons thus the endorsements).

3) Return to (and complete?) the TTMIK Lessons (and SRS any new grammar forms or
idiomatic phrases)

I enjoyed doing these, but simply stopped at one point and never continued (early in
Level 2). These lessons teach things from a different perspective than LSK which makes
them decent companions, in my opinion. I'm less sure about the "and complete" part as
I don't recall the count of lessons and it is a moving target since they are still adding
lessons.

4) Go through Survival Korean and Survival Korean Basic Grammar (both by the guy from
LSK) again (and SRS any new grammar forms or idiomatic phrases)

These books are pretty simple (and cover much of the same content as LSK) but they
should be easier to go through at a higher speed than LSK.

5) Go through my Lonely Planet phrasebook again (and SRS any new grammar forms or
idiomatic phrases)

I used the phrasebook for lookups a fair bit early on, but haven't really touched it since,
so I'd like to go back to it again and see how it looks from 4+ years in to the language.

6) Go through Using Korean again (and SRS any new grammar forms or idiomatic
phrases)

This one may take longer than the rest as I recall there was a *lot* of content in this
book based on the first time I read through it. In fact, this one may get dropped if it
looks like I'm going to lack enough time for other tasks.

I originally was thinking about setting a quantifiable goal for grammar/idiom cards per
week, but planning my schedule to ensure I complete the sources listed by year-end
should make that unnecessary.

VOCABULARY

1) Return to scorched earth reading of song lyrics

I found this to be a very useful activity, but haven't really done it much lately. It is also a
prerequisite for item #1 under PRODUCTION below. My goal for this task is to scorched
earth read the lyrics for 2 songs per month.

2) Return to scorched earth reading of TTMIK 이야기 lessons

I also found this activity useful previously and need to resume it. My goal for this task is
to scorched earth read 1 lesson per month.

My quantifiable goals for this category are obviously set very low, but that is intentional.
The low goals here will ensure they don't interfere with the more important goals (i.e. the
other two categories).

PRODUCTION

1) Return to memorizing songs

This includes reactivating some of the previous songs I've memorized that are starting to
get a bit vague in my mind. My goal is 1 new song per month. This does not mean it must
be fully memorized before the end of the month, but it must at least be entered into my
Lyrics deck in Anki.

2) Write more in Korean (Twitter posts, HTLAL posts, etc.)

My goal for this is 2 posts (of any length) per week. While this goal does seem very low,
the low threshold gives me no excuse to fail it and it is still more than I'm doing now.

3) Speak more in Korean

This one is really hard to quantify (partly since opportunities can be so variable), so I'm
not going to quantify it. However I know it needs work, so I'm still listing it here.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5184 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 18 of 120
15 December 2013 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
@Warp3 I am a big Assimil fan - I've used it for Spanish and French, also have done part of the courses for Italian, German, Russian, Croatian, and Dutch. I started with Turkish as well, although I was never really serious about Turkish.

For whatever reason, the way the method works is really my thing. At first, I thought it would be harder for different languages (and, well, it IS). However,I've skimmed some grammar from other books and got a general idea how Korean works. I did the Michel Thomas course for Japanese, which (in some ways) similar to how Korean works, too. I'm sure the massive exposure from watching Kdramas doesn't hurt, either. :D

I anticipate it will take me a while to dissect all the grammar notes and such for Assimil, but that is how I like to learn, anyways. I don't anticipate Assimil bringing me very far, but if it can give me some of the basics, it might be a good head start before starting something like Talk To Me in Korean or another course that will give me more. :D

Even since I've started working on the writing system and a few words, I have noticed myself paying more attention to the language. I'm certainly not recognizing words much, but I am starting to recognize a little more. It's a little like it went from being complete gobbledegook to something a little less foreign.

@Evita I will check your decks out, and Talk to Me in Korean. I will have a little more time over Christmas and New Years week, so that is when I will be checking out as many materials as I can and see what I will plan to use. I know what I'm doing for Spanish and French, so I'll be checking out a bunch of Korean stuff to see what else might suit me well.

@sabotai I am in the same boat as you. I like the dramas better, but my main goal is currently just understanding more of what I watch. I'm sure that will change as I learn more - it always does. But you have to start somewhere. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 19 of 120
15 December 2013 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
My Korean Goals for 2014

- read 10 books
- listen to 100 podcasts (either native materials or lessons)
- add at least 50 new goldlists
- try to revive my language exchange

Korean will not be my focus language in 2014, but I still hope to gradually progress a little. It would be great if I can work on my speaking skills, I'm horribly out of practice. But that depends on whether I can revive the language exchange I had earlier this year - or whether I can find someone else I have things to talk about with and who has some talent for correcting my mistakes. Out of all the tandems I tried only the last one worked really well, so I'm not sure whether regular language exchange will work out next year. If it does, I'll probably also focus on active grammar, but only the above goals are set in stone.

@Kerrie: Sprachprofi's technique sounds quite interesting! I also started out just wanting to understand KDramas better and now I'm thoroughly hooked on the language and would like to be able to effortlessly listen to radioshows and the news and read novels and have conversations, etc.

@sabotai: Welcome to the team! I'm sure Warp3 will be able to give you lots of pointers regarding entertainment shows. I still can't comprehend how it's possible to follow all that's going on in writing and speaking at once...

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 20 of 120
15 December 2013 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
TAC 2014 Goals

A) Be able to read simple detective novels in Korean
B) Finish my Intermediate Korean reader
C) Finish the TTMIK lessons
D) Do some Iyagi lessons for listening practice
E) Continue regular Italki lessons.

Korea is a country I plan to travel to, but when is the question. It is in my top 5, so
it should enter in my list somehow.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 21 of 120
16 December 2013 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
A) Be able to read simple detective novels in Korean

I completely forgot until you posted this, but I've got a copy of the first Arsene Lupin novel in
Korean that I bought a long time ago (probably a couple years ago now) but didn't start in on
it at the time as my vocabulary was lacking, so I was sticking with bilingual books then. I
need to dig out that book and try reading it.

Tarko
Korea, South
Joined 4480 days ago

119 posts - 148 votes 
Studies: Korean, French

Message 22 of 120
16 December 2013 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
2014 Korean Goals

This is hard to judge because I'll be self-studying for about 7 months (same as always), I'll be moving/traveling/otherwise not studying for 1 month, and for the remaining 4 months of the year I'll be studying Korean in an intensive program at a university somewhere in Korea. I'll make a few goals that sound kind of reasonable, but they aren't firm and they're liable to change.

1. Do at least 30 minutes a day. There are too many days every week where I only do 15-20 minutes of studying. 30 minutes or more would be ideal.
2. Read 25 books. I read so many English books that 25 books in Korean would be very reasonable. (See #5)
3. Stop using subtitles/start intensive listening. I already intensively read books without understanding every word, so why am I not doing the same for TV shows? I Additionally, at some point I'd like to move up to 2 Iyagis a week instead of one.
3.5. Watch an entire season of a drama! Any drama.
4. Speak more.
5. Finish my Yonsei 3 Reading book, Sogang 4A, and Sogang 4B. And I'd also like to work my way through my Bilingual Edition Modern Korean Literature set, which is sitting on my bookshelf, taunting me, as we speak...

Edited by Tarko on 16 December 2013 at 1:59pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 23 of 120
16 December 2013 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
Tarko wrote:

2. Read 25 books. I read so many English books that 25 books in Korean would be very reasonable. (See #5)
3.5. Watch an entire season of a drama! Any drama.

25 books? Wow! Well, I guess it depends a little on the type of book we're talking about, but still... It means that you'll read 1 book for every 2 weeks.You will progress a lot with that amount, I think!

I'd be happy to give you recommendations of good, addictive dramas based on your preferences.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4421 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 24 of 120
17 December 2013 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Well, after almost 3 weeks without internet at home, I am back!

For the team name, I kinda like 팔자 which means "fate/destiny". There are proverbs using
it as well. I particularly like the 걱정도 팔자다 which would be "Worrying is your
destiny". After all, studying languages is a continuous worry of how much we can improve,
isn't it?

As for my goals, I'll put them around the 26-27! I have a lot of catching up before I get
to that!

This discussion contains 120 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version