sabotai
United States
Joined 5641 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 105 of 120
24 April 2014 at 6:17am | IP Logged 
I finished off my 120개 challenge by writing out 120 pages of scriptorium (20-25 sentences per page). It was a terrible grind. I ended up just doing these pages, and practically nothing else, for Korean over the last 2 weeks to finish it off. I chose my challenge poorly.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 106 of 120
24 April 2014 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
sabotai wrote:
I finished off my 120개 challenge by writing out 120 pages of scriptorium (20-25 sentences per page). It was a terrible grind. I ended up just doing these pages, and practically nothing else, for Korean over the last 2 weeks to finish it off. I chose my challenge poorly.

Thumbs up for finishing it anyway.

I'm not doing any challenge because there's no place for it in my study plan. I think it's better for me to stick to my routine. Sorry.
1 person has voted this message useful

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4391 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 107 of 120
27 April 2014 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
Well done Sabotai!!

Personally, I failed my challenge. Life came in the way and I actually chose something
that doesn't motivate me so I just stopped.
However, in the process, I've found that reading articles about a drama I watch could be
a good idea. So I've started "신의 선물-14일" and read a few articles about the first
episode after seeing it. Turns out it makes it much easier to read and gives good
practice I believe. I will try to sustain my korean like this until I go back to France I
guess.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4627 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 108 of 120
28 April 2014 at 10:09pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations, sabotai! It sounds like a painstaking activity, but even if you think you didn't choose well, you'll probably see that it was good for something.

I totally failed with my challenge. It was far too ambitious compared to how I feel about Korean at the moment. Looking at the bright side, I did write 5 (out of 120 planned) grammar sentences... :) Will write a more thorough update in my log.

Tarko
Korea, South
Joined 4450 days ago

119 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean, French

Message 109 of 120
29 April 2014 at 8:03am | IP Logged 
Congratulations Warp3 and sabotai! 120 pages of scriptorium sounds excruciating.

I finished both of my challenges today. I listened to/read 120 TTMIK Iyagis and learned 120 vocab words from my Harry Potter books. My listening skills have improved a LOT. It's surprising what an extra 20-30 minutes of studying can do. My vocab... well, some words have proved to be very useful, so that's a good thing.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 110 of 120
22 May 2014 at 12:53am | IP Logged 
For what it's worth, there's a new textbook for beginners, Korean from Zero - 1 which is similar to the series Japanese from Zero.

The Korean book was released about a month ago and so far is available for purchase on Amazon or as a free download from the authors as a .pdf. Audio in .mp3 for the book is forthcoming per the website. The book looks promising considering the positive reviews on Amazon and the strongly positive views for the Japanese counterpart.

For me this seems to be an excellent supplement to “Spoken World Korean” in that it uses Romanization only in the long introductory chapter which covers Hangul (including stroke order of the complex vowels and diphthongs) while all subsequent chapters are in Hangul followed by English translation. This will force me to learn Hangul on its own terms rather than inadvertently crib off Romanization.

Evita
Tetraglot
Latvia
learnlatvian.info
Joined 6311 days ago

734 posts - 1036 votes 
Speaks: Latvian*, English, German, Russian
Studies: Korean, Finnish

Message 111 of 120
25 July 2014 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
Chung, thanks for posting about that book. I've been reading it for the past two months on quiet days at work and I wish I had had it when I started studying Korean. Even though the book's tone is too familiar for my taste and there are some mistakes here and there, it introduces Korean in the most painless way possible and that's definitely a big reason to use it if you are self-studying.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6915 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 112 of 120
25 July 2014 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
So far I've liked what I've got out of the book although I'm still toiling in the introductory section on hangul which is subdivided into smaller lessons. I look forward to plowing through the chapters proper since I'd start to study basic grammar and see things put together in a useful way. Learning hangul is fine for now but otherwise I've just picked up a bunch of random words from the course.

The only real drawback for me as I've noted in my log is that this course's audio is divided into several hundred .mp3 tracks with virtually useless tags. Many of the tracks are no more than a couple of seconds long as someone is just reading aloud one word.

I'm still interested in good and fairly inexpensive (if not free) courses for beginners although a lot of what I've found already isn't as good as it could be for me since there're no answer keys or audio or it uses Romanization. I'm generally satisfied by studying it using "Spoken World Korean" and "Korean from Zero" considering that I prefer to learn with books, mp3 player, pencil and paper.

This discussion contains 120 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version