sabotai
United States
Joined 5671 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 97 of 120
16 March 2014 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
My challenge: Write out 120 pages (at least 20 sentences per page) of scriptorium in Korean.
1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 98 of 120
16 March 2014 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
Mine will probably be to write 120 example sentences for new grammar points, but it depends a bit on when the new grammar book arrives. I'll only start this at the beginning at April, so it should work out fine.

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 99 of 120
16 March 2014 at 9:00pm | IP Logged 
I've been trying to figure out something to do "120" of in Korean since the posts earlier
today. I thought about using this challenge as an excuse to charge through the rest of
LSK, but I have 102 of those left. However, I think I finally have it. I've been subscribed
to TTMIK's YouTube channel for a long time now, but I don't believe I've actually watched
any their videos, so I looked through the TTMIK playlists and chose the ones that
seemed useful and/or interesting until I got close to the 120 video mark. My total is
actually 121 (119 now; see edit below), but that is close enough. :)

The playlists I chose were:
- Walk and Talk in Korean (8 videos)
- 7 Random Korean Expressions (16 videos)
- Korean Vocabulary with Pictures (17 videos)
- Korean Drama Phrases (12 videos)
- Ask Hyojin + University Life in Korea (38 videos)
- Advanced Korean Lessons (10 videos)
- Korean Vocab Power Up (3 videos)
- Korean Slang Words (Ask Hyojin) (2 videos)
- How Not To Say It In Korean (7 videos)
- How Do You Say This In Korean? (11 videos)

That isn't a particularly difficult challenge really, but since it is above and beyond my
existing TAC goals (for which I already often find myself time-crunched), I'm happy with
this as a "120개" goal. I considered picking a challenge that overlaps a TAC goal, but
couldn't really think of any that were suitable.

EDIT: I went to go through the "Ask Hyojin" videos today and found an issue that made it
necessary to tweak my video list. Three of the videos in the "Ask Hyojin" playlist are
actually included in the playlist twice, thus that playlist has only 37 distinct videos.
However, since it also includes 2 of the 3 videos from the "University Life in Korea (Ask
Hyojin)" playlist, I've opted to watch the additional video and list them as a single 38
video entry instead. Unfortunately, this still drops my total to 119, so once I get closer
to the goal on my "120개" challenge, I'll make adjustments at that time to ensure I hit at
least 120 total videos (since some other playlists may end up miscounted or overlapped
as well, requiring further modification).

EDIT2: "Korean Vocabulary Plus" turned out to be a bad choice of playlist. The videos
are very short (1-2 min), they seem to only cover 1 word per video, there are only 12
videos in the playlist (plus a challenge video and two "menu" videos thus the "15"), and
I already know those 12 words. So I've replaced that playlist with "Korean Vocabulary
with Pictures" (which aren't much longer, but at least have multiple words per lesson).
The new playlist also has 17 videos bringing my total back up to 121개.

EDIT3: The "Natural Talks in Korean" playlist seems to have vanished which drops my
video count by 12. However "Advanced Korean Lessons" now has 10 videos which adds
4. The result is a net loss of 8 videos from my former total (which was slightly high at
121) bringing me to 113 videos now (so I'll need to find 7 more for my 120개 challenge).

The "Advanced Korean Lessons" playlist took me a bit by surprise as I didn't expect the
videos in it to be entirely in Korean (though in retrospect that should have been
expected given the name). I can still understand quite a bit of the video if I focus, but I
can't be lazy about watching them like I can the other TTMIK videos. I also found it
interesting that several of the "Advanced Vocabulary" words they introduced are words I
already know. For example, 무난 and 진출 were both introduced and I had already picked
up both from variety TV (in fact I know 진출 *very* well due to 결승진출, which is said
when someone advances to the final round in a game). I am rather happy about the fact
that as long as I pay attention I can mostly understand videos that explain the meanings
of Korean words entirely using Korean. I guess this is yet another sign that I should
start defaulting to the K-to-K dictionaries at Daum and Naver and only use the K-to-E
dictionaries as a failover (rather than the other way around as I do currently).

EDIT4: I couldn't find any playlists that quite matched my remaining count of 7 and still
looked useful, so I overshot a little bit with "How Do You Say This In Korean?" (which is
actually listed as 12 videos, but one is just an intro, so I didn't count it). This brings my
grand total to 124 watched videos and completes my 120개 challenge.

Edited by Warp3 on 13 April 2014 at 10:07pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Tarko
Korea, South
Joined 4480 days ago

119 posts - 148 votes 
Studies: Korean, French

Message 100 of 120
01 April 2014 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
It took me a while, but I've finally come up with my challenge(s). I'm doing two because my studying took a nosedive for a while there, and this is a good way to augment my studying. Also, I'm an overachiever.

- Listen/read (simultaneously) to 120 TTMIK Iyagis
- Learn 120 vocabulary words from Harry Potter

I started a few days ago and it's going pretty well so far. I've learned a lot of useful words and I think my listening skills are improving quite a bit.

Since I'm late to the party, how is everyone else doing? Have you made any progress?

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4657 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 101 of 120
01 April 2014 at 1:53pm | IP Logged 
I haven't even started yet ^^ My final exam was on Thursday and I've slowly been getting back into Korean by reading Anne Frank's Diary.

The advanced grammar book I ordered hasn't arrived yet, so that's a bit of a determent. For some reason I want both books here by the time I start studying (this could simply be a justification for procrastinating).

Mining 120 Iyagi lessons for words also seems very tempting...

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 102 of 120
01 April 2014 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
I want to advance through 120 pages of my DLI Korean material.

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4421 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 103 of 120
01 April 2014 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
Shit I missed the start as well! I thought we were doing the 100 things as well and was
thinking of doing 10 hours of listening (which I did actually) but since it's not,
let's start from scratch.

For my 120개 challenge, I'll go for.. the first challenge that Tarko chose: 120 Iyagi
lessons. I'll probably fail (considering the amount of time dedicated to strict study
of Korean nowadays) but it'll force me a bit!
I will however put a small help: After studying once one Iyagi, If I listen/read it 4
times afterwards, that'll count as 1 more.
Example: listen to Iyagi 12 while reading, works through it. The next day I listen to
it 4 times in the metro. Total = "2 Iyagis".
It's not really strict but the internet for downloading is slow and I definitely won't
have time to proper study 120 Iyagis so..

Anyway 화이팅!

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5324 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 104 of 120
13 April 2014 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
It's a bit early in the challenge, but I've just now completed my 120개 challenge which
was to watch 120 videos from TTMIK's YouTube channel. I had to change playlists a few
times (and some of the playlists no longer match their current video counts as they've
been updated since I watched them), but here was the playlist I finally ended up with:
- Walk and Talk in Korean (8 videos)
- 7 Random Korean Expressions (16 videos)
- Korean Vocabulary with Pictures (17 videos)
- Korean Drama Phrases (12 videos)
- Ask Hyojin + University Life in Korea (38 videos)
- Advanced Korean Lessons (10 videos)
- Korean Vocab Power Up (3 videos)
- Korean Slang Words (Ask Hyojin) (2 videos)
- How Not To Say It In Korean (7 videos)
- How Do You Say This In Korean? (11 videos)
Grand Total = 124 videos

This discussion contains 120 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version