Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3932 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 49 of 117
14 June 2014 at 3:00am | IP Logged 
Just like any six-year-old learning to write, I wrote a description of my dog today.

Heto ang aso namin, si Chase. Brown at kulot ng balahibo niya at brown ng mga mata niya. Malaking aso si
Chase at mahabang tenga niya. Gusto ni Chase sa park at ng mga patpat, pero ayaw niya ng tali at ng mga
squirrels. Mabait na mabait si Chase.

This is our dog, Chase. His fur is brown and curly and his eyes are brown. Chase is a big dog and he has long
ears. Chase likes the park and sticks, but he doesn't like his leash or squirrels. Chase is a very, very good dog.

Wanted to see a picture of Chase? You know you do! I posted a photo - and this text - on
italki

Edited by Stelle on 14 June 2014 at 3:03am

1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3932 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 50 of 117
14 June 2014 at 4:07pm | IP Logged 
Weekly update

Tara, Mag-Tagalog Tayo - I'm about halfway through lesson 5.

Teach Yourself Filipino - finished lesson 3, will start lesson 4 today.

speaking - 2 fantastic 30-minute Skype sessions this week. I think that my tutors are starting to trust me
when I tell them that I don't need them to teach me - I just want them to listen, interact and correct.

reading/writing - posted one text to italki for corrections. Translated most of le Petit Napoleon (French
reader for beginners), although I'm getting mixed reports from my tutors and husband, all of whom corrected the
same sentences a little bit differently. I really do wish I could find graded readers in Tagalog!

music - still nothing! Every week I tell myself that I'm going to find a Tagalog song, but I never bother. I
think that music is one of the easiest ways to incorporate native materials right from the beginning. Here's my
promise to myself: next week, I will share a song that I've started learning.

thinking about moving my language logs:
HTLAL continues to be really, really slow for me. I have to wait a long time between page refreshes, and often get
timed out. I like logging here. I like reading other people's logs and interacting with other language learners. I
especially like that this log started on day one of learning Tagalog, so it's a record of my entire journey. But due
to the constant glitches and down-time here, I'm nervous that someday this log might disappear altogether. I'm
considering moving my logs to another forum, even though I don't like the idea.

Edited by Stelle on 14 June 2014 at 4:08pm

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5050 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 51 of 117
14 June 2014 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Copying to another forum presents some of the same issues as here. Nothing on the internet, no site or service, is forever. Backing up is always wise. You could always copy and paste into a word file. Save on an external hard drive, google drive, email to yourself, print hard copy, etc, or post copies on both sites.

We are all frustrated with HTLAL's technical issues. Hopefully, all the talk about fixing it will become reality sooner rather than later. It remains to be seen. The problem with moving your logs to another forum and leaving this one is that you'd be cutting yourself off from most of the community. Polydog and Fi3m just don't have the critical mass of HTLAL. They may someday, but not yet. That's why most of us put up with the crap here. It's for the content and the feedback.

I'm enjoying following your "Taga-log". You are well positioned to reach a conversational level in the language. I like that that's your goal. That's what I did with Haitian Creole and am doing with Ladino. We don't all have to reach C1 or C2 in every language. Sometimes, good enough is good enough.

Edited by iguanamon on 14 June 2014 at 5:31pm

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3932 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 52 of 117
14 June 2014 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Copying to another forum presents some of the same issues as here. Nothing on the
internet, no site or service, is forever. Backing up is always wise. You could always copy and paste into a word
file. Save on an external hard drive, google drive, email to yourself, print hard copy, etc, or post copies on both
sites.

We are all frustrated with HTLAL's technical issues. Hopefully, all the talk about fixing it will become reality
sooner rather than later. It remains to be seen. The problem with moving your logs to another forum and leaving
this one is that you'd be cutting yourself off from most of the community. Polydog and Fi3m just don't have the
critical mass of HTLAL. They may someday, but not yet. That's why most of us put up with the crap here. It's for
the content and the feedback.

I'm enjoying following your "Taga-log". You are well positioned to reach a conversational level in the language. I
like that that's your goal. That's what I did with Haitian Creole and am doing with Ladino. We don't all have to
reach C1 or C2 in every language. Sometimes, good enough is good enough.

You're right, on all counts. I don't think that any other forum can compete with HTLAL in terms of support,
inspiration and suggestions. I think that polydog might grow into a thriving language community, but there's
room for more than one language forum in my heart. ;)

"good enough is good enough" --> this made me laugh, because I was just talking with a friend about the "ever-
widening realm of good enough" Ha! It's quite fun to learn a language with the full expectation that I'll never be
able to do more than talk to people. It takes a lot of the pressure off.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3932 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 53 of 117
21 June 2014 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Weekly update

Tara, Mag-Tagalog Tayo
I finished lesson five (describing members of the family). I'm currently spending about 10 days per lesson, which
is perfect. I can finish a whole lesson in 10 days in about 15 minutes per day. The activities are varied, so one day
I might read a text, the next listen to a dialogue (and transcribe it), the next read through a grammar
explanation. I've also been writing two texts per lesson and either posting them to italki or sending them to my
tutor for corrections.

Teach Yourself Filipino
I finished lesson 4. I also went back and redid all of the dialogues from previous lessons.

Using suggestions from both this forum and polydog.org, I've got a new plan of attack for Teach Yourself
Filipino, which will allow me to get through one lesson per week, very intensively, at about 15 minutes per day.
It's a much more formal approach than I've ever taken to language learning. It sounds *extremely* boring when I
type it out, but I'm finding it engaging because it's effective.

day one:
- listen to the last five dialogues as a quick warm-up
- read through the whole lesson, listening to corresponding audio tracks

day two:
listen very intensively to the lesson's first dialogue
- listen twice without book
- read translations in the book (which gives word-for-word translations)
- listen while reading English
- listen while reading Tagalog
- read out loud, ensure understanding
- listen while reading in English
- listen while reading in Tagalog
- listen without the text
- listen and repeat after each sentence
- listen twice and read shadow with the book for support
- listen and shadow without the book

day three:
- shadow dialogue one five times
- handwrite dialogue one in my notebook
- re-read the lesson up to dialogue two, taking notes, adding vocab to anki, doing exercises and listening to all
audio tracks

day four:
- listen intensively to the lesson's second dialogue (see day one)

day five:
- shadow dialogue two five times
- handwrite dialogue two in my notebook
- re-read the rest of the lesson, taking notes, doing exercises, adding vocab to anki and listening to all audio
tracks

day six:
- review/shadow last 10 dialogues

day seven:
- review/shadow last 10 dialogues

speaking
1 very good 30-minute Skype session this week.

music
I've been listening to a very unofficial Tagalog version of Let it Go from Frozen:
bumitaw

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3932 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 54 of 117
23 June 2014 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
Heto si Paul, ang tatay ko. Animnapu't lima na siya. Taga-Canada siya. Nakatira siya sa________, malapit lang
sa _________. Abogado siya. Nagtatrabaho siya sa hukuman. Puti ang buhok niya, pero kalbo siya. Brown ang
mga mata niya. Mabait at matalino si Paul. Nakapantalon siya at naka-itim na jacket siya.

This is Paul, my father. He's 65 years old. He's from Canada. He lives in (name of town), very close to (name
of city). He's a lawyer. He works at the courthouse. He has white hair, but really he's bald. His eyes are
brown. Paul is kind and smart. He's wearing pants and a black jacket (in the photo that I attached to the
email).

Notes on grammar / sentence structure - adjectives

Nouns and adjectives need linkers:

- add “na” when the first word ends with a consonent
black hair:
itim na buhok (adjective + na linker + noun)
buhok na itim (noun + na linker + adjective)

- add “-ng” to the first word if it ends with a vowel (or simply “-g” if it ends with an “n”)
happy woman:
masayang babae (adjective + -ng linker + noun)
babaeng masaya (noun + -ng linker + noun)

Word order doesn't really matter. Depending on the words, the same thing can be said in two different ways,
using two different linkers.

polite man:
magalang na lalaki (adjective + na linker + noun)
lalaking magalang (noun + -ng linker + adjective)

making adjectival phrases plural

There are two ways to pluralize adjectival phrases:

- add “mga” before the adjective
ang mga mabait na bata (the nice children)

- reduplicate the first syllable of the root word
ang mababait na bata (the nice children)

This is my first taste of reduplication and infixes, which I know will pop up a lot (or should I say a lotlot). I
know that Tagalog verbs use a lot of infixes, which is probably part of the reason why - unlike most
comprehensive textbooks in Spanish or French - I'm currently at the fifth lesson in both of my books, and
haven't yet touched on verbs.

The flexible word order, reduplication and infixes will definitely present a challenge when it comes to
listening comprehension.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3932 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 55 of 117
28 June 2014 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
It was kind of a quiet week for Tagalog.

I did something every day, but I'm moving slowly. I'm ok with that - as I've mentioned several times already, I
have 2 courses with 20-24 lessons/units each, and I'd like to finish them by Christmas. That gives me lots of
time. I like both of my courses.

But it doesn't make for very interesting weekly updates!

Teach Yourself
I'm currently on lesson 5. This lesson has 3 dialogues instead of 2, so it's taking me a bit longer to get through. I
like the format of TY and am glad that I bought it. That said, I wouldn't want it to be my only resource.

Tara, Mag-Tagalog Tayo
I'm currently about halfway through lesson 6. I can't say enough good things about this course! It progresses at a
very good pace. I do think that access to a native speaker - either in person or over Skype - is necessary,
especially for the textbook activities. The workbook has a very good answer key.

Other than that, not much new to report! I had two very good half-hour Skype sessions last week. Next week I'm
not working, so I plan on taking four half-hour Tagalog sessions. I'll see my inlaws on the 20th of July, so I hope
to be able to have a simple conversation with them at that point!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3932 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 56 of 117
29 June 2014 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
A short description of a made-up person:

Heto si Jennifer. Ipinanganak siya noong a-trece ng Hunyo. Kulot at maikli ang buhok niya at dark brown ang
mga mata niya. Guro siya sa unibersidad. Nakatira siya sa Toronto, malapit lang sa downtown. May-asawa na
siya. Mark ang pangalan ng asawa niya. Nagtatrabaho si Mark sa bangko. Walang anak sina Jennifer at Mark, pero
may dalawang alaga sila, isang aso at isang pusa. Masayang-masaya sila.

(This is Jennifer. She was born on the thirteenth of June. Her hair is curly and short and she has dark brown eyes.
She's a teacher at the university. She lives in Toronto, close to downtown. She's married. Mark is her husband's
name. Mark works at the bank. Jennifer and Mark don't have any children, but they do have two pets, one dog
and one cat. They are very happy.)

my italki notebook entry

This discussion contains 117 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version