Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5429 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 
Speaks: English*, DutchC1
Studies: Turkish, French

Message 41 of 88
06 June 2014 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
@Jeffers, I'm more inclined to want to learn through extensive reading. I've never been
extremely interested in grammar. I have the idea in my head that this year or maybe at
the start of next year I will take real French classes since I can do that relatively
cheaply through my university. I prefer it when someone else is prompting me to learn all
the details of grammar that I'm too lazy to go into by myself. For now, I'm just training
certain points of grammar by translating sentences from English to French and having
natives check them on Lang-8.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5429 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 42 of 88
06 June 2014 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
Français

I've done a 180 and now I'm spending more time on Assimil, Anki and other random study
and very, very little on Super Challenge activities. I think I might have burned myself
out in the first few weeks. It's also rather discouraging to think how slow my progress
is in reading French. Maybe I should make it a half challenge instead. Reading 5000
pages of Dutch is not easy either and that's a language I'm fluent in. Balance is very
difficult to attain indeed.

Week 22: 575 minutes
Total: 13,037 minutes or 217h 17m

At least the 300 hours mark is creeping closer. I want to aim for 500 by the end of the
year after that.

Nederlands

I haven't finished Het Spel der Tronen yet but I started a new book anyway. Another
fantasy novel called De Macht van het Zwaard or rather The Blade Itself by Joe
Abercrombie.

Turkish

Forgive me languages Gods for I have sinned...I listened to half a Pimsleur Turkish...I
know, I know, I should be concentrating on French, I'm not fluent yet, there's not
enough time for both and so on. But, TURKISH! Agh. I can't help but think of all the
Turkish speakers wandering around this country, waiting, just waiting, for me to ruin
their day by butchering their native language. And the music, oh the music! I'm
listening to Hayko Cepkin, Can Bonomo, Sıla, MaNga and whatever else I can find. Why
does this language have to be so lovely?

So, anyway, I need to figure out a way for me to be able to study this wonderful
language and for it not to negatively impact my French. I keep getting a "YOLO" feeling
of "just start learning it" and then I think, yeah but French. I want them both and I
want them now but that would be like buying a second puppy after buying one 5 months
ago. I don't want French to start growling at the postman while I'm picking up
Turkish's poop from the carpet. If you see what I mean.

I should have written this in Dutch so at least this drivel would have had some value.
Te laat.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5429 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 43 of 88
09 June 2014 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
Français

Week 23: 522 minutes
Total: 13,559 or 225h 59m

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5429 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 44 of 88
14 June 2014 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
Français

Another loose plan:

- Finish 2nd wave NFWE
- Do three waves of Using French
- Do grammar/sentence translation exercises a few times a week
- Listen to something every day
- Continue anki
- Read when the mood strikes

Türkçe

Yes I caved and started learning Turkish. I don't want to stress myself out so I'll
just start modestly and see where it leads.

- One Assimil lesson per day
- Supplementary listening

Nederlands

New words and phrases from De Macht van het Zwaard:

in je nopjes zijn - being extremely satisfied or happy
het lemmet - the blade part of a knife or dagger
sluw - crafty/cunning
het gezwets - mindless chatter

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5429 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 45 of 88
17 June 2014 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
My rehabilitation is in full swing. Happily, I am moving closer to my goal of a
crutchless existence. I'm using one crutch indoors now and going on very brisk walks
outside with two crutches every day. This is all leaving me feeling very drained and I
have random aches and pains where my muscles and tendons are learning to take my weight
again. Funnily enough I've been able to stay consistent with my language learning. It's
the rest of my ambitions that are suffering!

Français

Week 23: 658 minutes
Total: 14,217 or 236h 57m

I'm mostly focussing on Assimil since I was finding reading very frustrating. I'm not
ready at all for extensive reading so the odd Le Monde article, read with the help of a
dictionary, will have to do for now. I'm in pre-intermediate limbo at the moment, just
waiting to break through to the other side. I realise this might still take several
months so I'm just going to keep putting French into my brain in whatever way possible
until I reach the more comfortable B1 stage. (Of course, then comes the long path of
insecurity towards being able say you speak the language. But let's not think about
that now, shall we?)

Nederlands

De Macht van het Zwaard is tot nu toe een goed, spannend boek maar het heeft een paar
interessante nachtmerries geïnspireerd...

Türkçe

The word order is so different to what I'm used to! And the suffixes, so many suffixes!
But I'm viewing my Assimil activities as an introduction to the language so I can build
on this foundation later on. With French the motto is: as quickly as possible, with
Turkish it's: as slow as I want.

Something very cool about Turkish is how phonetic it is. This means that I'm already
able to recognise words that I have heard in songs songs while I read my Assimil texts.
For example today I read the word "bende" in Assimil, which means "bij me" or "by/with
me" and I remembered that a Can Bonomo song starts with that sound. That song is called
Abla (Sister) and starts with the line: "Bende yolumu buldum" which apparently
translates to "İ found my way" so I guess "bende" links the subject to the word "way".
I'm not sure but anyway, in conclusion, my Turkish learning is taking a very different
path to my French learning. With French I can just bombard my brain with French and
trust that it will work out (aka immersion). With Turkish I need to do more conscious
puzzling and try to connect the dots. It's very fun to be learning a non-Indo-European
language for the first time!

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5429 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 46 of 88
19 June 2014 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
Bah soms lijkt mijn Nederlands opeens zo slecht. Het is onvermijdelijk als je in een
vreemd land woont dat je steeds op je plaats wordt gezet door het dagelijkse leven. Ik
zou zeker nooit het impressie kunnen krijgen dat ik heel goed Nederlands spreek. Mijn
vriend en zijn moeder zeggen dat ik goed Nederlands spreek maar dat is relatief. Ik
spreek goed Nederlands in vergelijking met toen ze mij voor het eerst ontmoetten. Voor
mij is het verschil tussen mijn Nederlands en mijn Engels duidelijk. In het Engels kan
ik mezelf zijn, in het Nederlands niet. Mijn taalgebruik, als het me lukt om vloeiend
te spreken en ik niet over mijn woorden struikel, is niet idiomatisch genoeg om in de
"C's" te belanden. Ik denk dat ik nog nooit een moment heb gehad wanneer mijn spreken
op C1 niveau was. Het is B2 op een goede dag en B1 als ik heel erg zenuwachtig ben.

Voor een lange tijd dacht ik niet over het verbeteren van mijn Nederlands. Ik had geen
verdere doelen gemaakt maar de laatste tijd ben ik steeds meer van overtuigd geworden
dat dit niveau niet goed genoeg voor mij is. Ik wil zeker tenminste op C1 niveau kunnen
spreken en natuurlijk wil ik ook mijn passieve kennis omhoog tillen. Die wil ik graag
op C2 niveau zien. Ik wil dat het me niet uitmaakt of een tekst in het Nederlands of in
het Engels is. Nu zou ik liever ingewikkelder teksten in het Engels lezen en soms moet
ik een Nederlandse tekst twee keer lezen om ervoor te zorgen dat ik echt begrijp wat er
staat (bijvoorbeeld instructies of teksten met lange uitleg).

Hier zijn de probleem punten:

- Ik kan mensen die een niet-standaard accent hebben niet altijd verstaan (niet alleen
Limburgers of mensen uit Twente maar ook gewoon mensen die uit Amsterdam of Alkmaar
komen en geen netjes NOS-accent hebben.).
- Ik wil dat mijn spreken op C1 niveau is
- Ik wil dat mijn leesvaardigheid op C2 niveau is.

Dus,

- Zodra ik in staat ben, wil ik me onderdompelen in een groep Nederlanders, misschien
door een cursus te nemen of misschien door lid te worden van een studievereniging.
- Ik doe al mee aan de Super Challenge om mijn leesvaardigheid te verbeteren.
Misschien moet ik ervoor zorgen dat ik, naast fictie, ook ingewikkelder teksten lees
over onderwerpen die ik interessant vind. Zo wetenschappelijk mogelijk.
- En ik weet niet wat ik moet doen met al die accenten. Misschien moet ik er gewoon mee
leven. Misschien wordt het vanzelf beter...misschien...

Ik hoop over een paar jaar dat ik kan zeggen dat ik GOED Nederlands kan spreken.

----

And for French I spoiled myself by ordering three seasons of Friends in French. I have
been struggling to find things to watch (France 24 keeps failing on me) so at least I
won't have that excuse anymore. Friends is a great show for a beginner to watch, in my
opinion, since the episodes aren't too long and the subject matter is light and not too
complicated. There's also a lot of Bonjour! Au revoir! so even if you know only a
handful of words, you can hear the basic greetings in the show. I also hear "C'est
nul!" alot so I have fun saying that now. Of course, I've watched all the episodes
before so it's easy for me to follow and I don't get bored watching it.

Now all I have to do is be patient and wait for my package to arrive. *twitches*

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3835 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 47 of 88
20 June 2014 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
Iolanthe wrote:
Bah soms lijkt mijn Nederlands opeens zo slecht. Het is
onvermijdelijk als je
in een
vreemd land woont dat je steeds op je plaats wordt gezet door het dagelijkse leven. Ik
zou zeker nooit het impressie kunnen krijgen dat ik heel goed Nederlands spreek. Mijn
vriend en zijn moeder zeggen dat ik goed Nederlands spreek maar dat is relatief. Ik
spreek goed Nederlands in vergelijking met toen ze mij voor het eerst ontmoetten. Voor
mij is het verschil tussen mijn Nederlands en mijn Engels duidelijk. In het Engels kan
ik mezelf zijn, in het Nederlands niet. Mijn taalgebruik, als het me lukt om vloeiend
te spreken en ik niet over mijn woorden struikel, is niet idiomatisch genoeg om in de
"C's" te belanden. Ik denk dat ik nog nooit een moment heb gehad wanneer mijn spreken
op C1 niveau was. Het is B2 op een goede dag en B1 als ik heel erg zenuwachtig ben.

Voor een lange tijd dacht ik niet over het verbeteren van mijn Nederlands. Ik had geen
verdere doelen gemaakt maar de laatste tijd ben ik steeds meer van overtuigd geworden
dat dit niveau niet goed genoeg voor mij is. Ik wil zeker tenminste op C1 niveau kunnen
spreken en natuurlijk wil ik ook mijn passieve kennis omhoog tillen. Die wil ik graag
op C2 niveau zien. Ik wil dat het me niet uitmaakt of een tekst in het Nederlands of in
het Engels is. Nu zou ik liever ingewikkelder teksten in het Engels lezen en soms moet
ik een Nederlandse tekst twee keer lezen om ervoor te zorgen dat ik echt begrijp wat er
staat (bijvoorbeeld instructies of teksten met lange uitleg).

Hier zijn de probleem punten:

- Ik kan mensen die een niet-standaard accent hebben niet altijd verstaan (niet alleen
Limburgers of mensen uit Twente maar ook gewoon mensen die uit Amsterdam of Alkmaar
komen en geen netjes NOS-accent hebben.).
- Ik wil dat mijn spreken op C1 niveau is
- Ik wil dat mijn leesvaardigheid op C2 niveau is.

Dus,

- Zodra ik in staat ben, wil ik me onderdompelen in een groep Nederlanders, misschien
door een cursus te nemen of misschien door lid te worden van een studievereniging.
- Ik doe al mee aan de Super Challenge om mijn leesvaardigheid te verbeteren.
Misschien moet ik ervoor zorgen dat ik, naast fictie, ook ingewikkelder teksten lees
over onderwerpen die ik interessant vind. Zo wetenschappelijk mogelijk.
- En ik weet niet wat ik moet doen met al die accenten. Misschien moet ik er gewoon mee
leven. Misschien wordt het vanzelf beter...misschien...

Ik hoop over een paar jaar dat ik kan zeggen dat ik GOED Nederlands kan spreken.

Hoi Jolanthe,
mijn Nederlands is A0, denk ik (ik kan niet het schrijven, vertelt mij niet om het
spreken :)
). Maar ik kan het lezen (als niet te moeilijk het is). En denk ik jij trots zullen
zijn!
Om niet-standaard accent, laatste mand ging ik naar Scotland: Engels van Scotland was
soms (als in Glasgow) echt
moeilijk voor mij te begrijpen. Ik denk is het normaal, als je hoort het niet vak.
Jouw Nederlands lijkt zo goed voor mij!
Veel succes!

(I'm terribly sorry if what I wrot doesn't make any sense. I didn't use any google
translate
nor to translate your text, nor to write nor check mine, so everything is possible. in
any
case, congratulations!)

Edited by tristano on 20 June 2014 at 1:48am

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5429 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 

Message 48 of 88
21 June 2014 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Tristano, bedankt voor de mooie woorden. Ik ben niet snel tevreden met mijn prestaties.
Ik ben een echte perfectionist maar misschien moet ik niet zo veel zeuren! En ik kan jou
Nederlands begrijpen dus maakt je daar geen zorgen over :)

This discussion contains 88 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version