Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Tri lingual parties a regular occurrence?

Tags: Multilingual
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
43 messages over 6 pages: 1 24 5 6  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 17 of 43
19 January 2014 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
It's definitely slightly different. I wish it was recognized like American English or Finland Swedish are. (although the differences are smaller) But Russians from Russia generally consider it to be bad Russian :(

But it doesn't have much to do with dialects, no. What exactly is more clear btw - the pronunciation? The vocabulary? The grammar? All of the above?
3 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4078 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 18 of 43
19 January 2014 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
It also depends on if the person is introverted or extroverted, shy or outgoing, etc. I
am Catholic, but often in conversation at first I am even reluctant to say what my name
is, even less anything about income...
2 persons have voted this message useful

Einarr
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4401 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: English, Bulgarian*, French, Russian
Studies: Swedish

Message 19 of 43
19 January 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
It's definitely slightly different. I wish it was recognized like
American English or Finland Swedish are. (although the differences are smaller) But
Russians from Russia generally consider it to be bad Russian :(

But it doesn't have much to do with dialects, no. What exactly is more clear btw - the
pronunciation? The vocabulary? The grammar? All of the above?

Sadly, I'm yet to hear Finland's Swedish, but the comparison between Ukrainian's
Russian and American English is spot on really. And you're right Serpent, it's not that
much about dialects, and I didn't do a good job explaining myself.

So, here I go. Basically it definitely isn't bad Russian, as to my humble knowledge
they do speak it quite well (at least what I've heard on TV). It rather is more laid -
back and sounds as if they're using not so complicated grammatical constructs. And what
I've noticed the most is as if their pronunciation is clearer to my ear at least. When
it comes down to pronunciation, for me it's exactly like British - American English. I
don't know what's the consistency of pronunciation and dialect situation in Russia, but
here in the UK, you can hear at least several different pronunciations of
English on the street, and it's not even the biggest of cities I live in. :D
So overall, whilst I have to listen way more осторожнo, when I listen to one of my
favorite old time classic movies "Служебный роман" (and get to understand like only 80-
85% out of everything) when I listen to Ukrainian shows in Russian it's like 90-95%.
And once again it might be just me. =D

P.S.: I'm also not the extroverted type of lad too so, yes that definitely
should be put into consideration, apart from country/religion. :D

Edited by Einarr on 19 January 2014 at 9:21pm

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4078 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian

Message 20 of 43
20 January 2014 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
It still seems odd to ask about someone's income level. Not even with blood relatives
would I discuss this, never amongst friends or acquaintances. It also seems definitely
odd, for example, in a university society or a company gathering to say, "Hello. My
name
is ______. How much do you earn per month/year?" I also come from a working
class/borderline poor background, so even if anyone in family answered such a question,
it would most likely be something like, "Less than you".

Also years ago, when everyone in my immediate family was unemployed, a great-uncle who
had become
rich and knew this about us, at a Christmas dinner asked us randomly, "So how much do
you
earn nowadays?" which was particularly crass. That was the only time that I remember
that
someone asked us that, and it might have pretentious, or even offensive, overtones if
asked to the wrong people or in the wrong situation.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 20 January 2014 at 1:33am

1 person has voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4656 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 21 of 43
20 January 2014 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
Just had a party with two Armenians and two Persians yesterday where a crazy language mix was spoken by everyone. But I wouldn't say it's particularly common - not in my 'German circle' anyway; many of my friends think of me as an eccentric...

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 22 of 43
20 January 2014 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
Einarr wrote:
Serpent wrote:
It's definitely slightly different. I wish it was recognized like
American English or Finland Swedish are. (although the differences are smaller) But

But it doesn't have much to do with dialects, no. What exactly is more clear btw - the

Sadly, I'm yet to hear Finland's Swedish, but the comparison between Ukrainian's
Russian and American English is spot on really. And you're right Serpent, it's not that

So, here I go. Basically it definitely isn't bad Russian, as to my humble knowledge
they do speak it quite well (at least what I've heard on TV). It rather is more laid -
back and sounds as if they're using not so complicated grammatical constructs. And what
I've noticed the most is as if their pronunciation is clearer to my ear at least. When
it comes down to pronunciation, for me it's exactly like British - American English. I
don't know what's the consistency of pronunciation and dialect situation in Russia, but
So overall, whilst I have to listen way more осторожнo, when I listen to one of my
favorite old time classic movies "Служебный роман" (and get to understand like only 80-
85% out of everything) when I listen to Ukrainian shows in Russian it's like 90-95%.

Maybe the Russian-Ukrainian shows are meant to be easy enough for native speakers of Ukrainian to understand them? And I bet the modern context also helps. Have you compared with modern Russian movies? Many are crap, but for example На море is fun.

Einarr
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4401 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: English, Bulgarian*, French, Russian
Studies: Swedish

Message 23 of 43
20 January 2014 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Einarr wrote:
Serpent wrote:
It's definitely slightly different. I
wish it was recognized like

Maybe the
Russian-Ukrainian shows are meant to be easy enough for native speakers of Ukrainian to
understand them? And I bet the modern context also helps. Have you compared with modern
Russian movies? Many are crap, but for example На море is fun.

This sounds like a good enough explanation to me! :) And now that you're asking, I
really haven't. Probably the last modern one(because I wast stuff from the oldies quite
often) I watched was Елена (great movie btw), but still it was long time ago and I
wasn't listening profoundly. Note taken for На море. :)

@1e4e6, sorry to hear about this experience. It was indeed quite rude of him of course.
As I mentioned earlier it's a cultural thing really (amongst all the other factors).
Take South Korea for example. There the society is still being divided by classes and
their riches. As I mentioned earlier, I've watched quite a few Korean movies, series
etc. and money talks are just as frequent and non-chalant as in Bulgaria for instance.
For example you can take
The Inheritors. And
many others of course, this is just what came to mind first, given that I watched it
recently.
1 person has voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4078 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 

Message 24 of 43
20 January 2014 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
True, it depends on cultural norms, personality, etc. The class system in the Anglophone
world is probably similar to those that you mention, especially the UK as you would know
living here. For some, even an accent can one determine, "Oh that bloke is working
class", "That one is middle", "That one sounds like s/he has a title", etc. Someone from
Northern Ireland once told me that he could determine someone's religion by their
accent(?). In Bulgaria, since an activity like chess is very highly regarded and popular,
I hear chess a lot. But that might be because most of the Bulgarians to whom I talk are
from chess.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 20 January 2014 at 4:15am

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version