Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 81 of 98
07 April 2014 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
Ok, i've officially finished the A2 course! It seems the lessons step it up a notch in the B1 course, i'm hoping that will help me to really absorb a lot of things that i have just a vague understanding of now.

Not much progress in Mandarin, i'm really just trying to keep up with my character reviews.
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 82 of 98
26 April 2014 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
I've been a bit busy but trying to keep up. Yesterday i finally finished the HSK 5 vocab list, which is (sorta) a huge relief! I think i'll wait a little while before starting the HSK 6 list as i want my reviews to drop down a good bit (maybe 100-150/day).

I've been trying to do Ikasten lessons everyday but somedays i just don't have time. The new lessons are much longer and more thorough (but also more interesting), i've finished two lessons and have done most of lesson 38. I should be able to finish it today.

I've also been doing pretty well with Duolingo, i've got a 40+ day streak going, though the past two nights i've only studied one language (Italian) just to maintain the streak :/

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 83 of 98
01 May 2014 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
I'm just posting because the Super Challenge has officially started. Today i finished the audiobook to Las venas abiertas de América Latina by Eduardo Galeano. I started it a few days ago so just counted the last three hours that i listened to today. I also listened to the latest radio program at Cabezas de tormenta (#64).

I'll be keeping the totals and things in the first post of this log :)

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 84 of 98
07 May 2014 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
It's been a while since i've posted something on Basque, i've been super busy so progress has been a bit slow, though i try to do at least a little every day. I haven't touched The Basque Language much, yet, i'm hoping that when things calm down i can figure out a plan for the super challenge and my TAC as, funnily enough, none of the languages in my super challenge are in my TAC.

Anyway, the past couple days i've been working through lesson 39 at Ikasten on the "potential" tense. This is essentially a tense that covers English's "to be able". Today i'm covering the NOR-NORI-NORK forms, which are really wild-looking. Take this sucker, for instance:
Nik zuri liburua matematikako klasea amaitu ostean eman diezazuket.
I can give you the book after math class has finished.
dieza-zu-ke-t - "I can (do) it to you", one word in Basque!

Or:
Zuek zuen aitona-amonei arrosak opari diezazkiekezue.
You all can give (regalar) roses to your grandparents.
dieza-zki-e-ke-zue - "You all can (do) them to them"

It doesn't seem that complicated, it just leads to some really long verbs compacted with tons of information.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 85 of 98
13 May 2014 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
I've done a bit of reading lately and have been listening to a lot of audiobooks lately. I finished listening to the audiobook of El clan del oso cavernario by Jean Auel last week (23 hours) and started listening to Q. I've nearly finished the audiobook (it's quite long, well over 24 hours), i should finish it tomorrow.

I also read the book Cautiva by Clara Rojas about her time she spent as a hostage with the Columbian guerilla group FARC (6 years from 2002 to 2008). To be honest, i didn't find it that interesting, at least not what i thought it would be. A lot of it was her praying and thanking god for everything that happened. I'm glad it helped her get through the time there, but to me it just seemed like she ignored all the effort she made as well as that of the other people with her. When she talked about how she felt like she was treated like an animal, especially after having just read James Carr and Clément Duval's autobiographies, it made me wonder what her thoughts on prison might be.

Now i'm reading "La plaça del diamant" by Mercè Rodoreda.

Updated Super Challenge totals:
Spanish:
-Movies/Audiobooks: 18
-Books: 4

Edited by Crush on 13 May 2014 at 2:40am

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 86 of 98
15 May 2014 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
Today i finished the audiobook of "Harry Potter e la pietra filosofale". Here are the latest Super Challenge totals:

----------Català------------
Audio/Vídeo: 2.5
Llibres: 0

----------Castellano------------
Audio/Vídeo: 18
Libros:     4

----------Italiano------------
Audio/Video:     24,5
Libri: 0

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 87 of 98
03 July 2014 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
I haven't been too busy with my languages lately, i've taken a short break to sort of rest and recuperate while i work on other hobbies. I have been watching a few movies here and there and listening to lots of audiobooks, though. Italian is starting to get easier and easier to really follow, though i haven't tried any movies yet. Anyway, i've updated the Super Challenge totals on the first page, here are the totals:

Catalan:
Audio/Vídeo: 2.5
Llibres: 9

Castellano:
Audio/Vídeo: 34,5
Libros: 4

Italian:
Audio/Video:     59,5
Libri: 0

I've also just ordered a couple more Catalan books: "El català, llengua romànica" and two books on the history of the Catalan language: "Història de la llengua catalana: Dels orígens al segle XVIII" and "Història de la llengua catalana: Els segles XIX i XX". Unfortunately, i haven't touched Basque in a while.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 88 of 98
08 July 2014 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
It looks like i'll be heading back to China soon (in August or September) so i've decided it's time to pick up my Chinese from the gutter again. I ordered Glossika's Chinese Fluency "course" and am working my way through it. I'm not quite sure about the most effective way to do it, but from what i understand from the introduction, your study sessions should be divided into a review of previous lessons and some new words/sentences. The fluency course has three levels, each one contains 1,000 sentences. It says to review the previous four days' worth of sentences in addition to the new sentences for the day. I'm currently on my second day of the course, so now that i'm actually doing a course again i'll make little notes here in my log again. I'm doing 25 sentences a day, i want to see how manageable that is once i've got a full five-day course (4 days' review, one day's new sentences). I might up that or lower it depending.

Here's what my routine is currently:
Review:
-listen to recordings and check things to improve (last 4 days)
-review GMS C files (last 4 days)
-rerecord last 4 days' worth of sentences
-listen to B files for older sentences, translate in space
New:
-prepare 10-50 sentences looking them over in the book then listening to A file
-use A or C file to transcribe sentences, pref. without looking at book
-listen to sentences one more time
-record them
-listen to GSR file

(A files have the English sentence followed by the Chinese sentences two times, B files have the English translation, a space to translate into Chinese, then the Chinese sentence, and C files only contain the Chinese sentences, no English)

If you've got any questions, i'd be happy to answer. So far i feel like i really need to work on emphasizing the tones. When i speak and get nervous, i tend to mumble quite a bit (in any language) and it's something i'm trying to work on. The sentences all seem nice and pretty useful, i'm hoping that i do internalize them. It'd be nice to finish the first level by the time i leave for China.

For the Super Challenge, i'm working my way through the last Harry Potter audiobook (i couldn't find 4 or 5, just 1, 2, 3, 6, and 7). I'm a little over halfway through. I'm also reading "Adéu, turons, adéu" by Antoni-Lluc Ferrer. I thought "Dies d'ira a l'illa" (also by Ferrer) was great, too.

This discussion contains 98 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version