Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 25 of 98
03 February 2014 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
Today was another relatively pain-free day, though i definitely feel like i haven't internalized a lot of this. Processing a sentence takes a lot of energy and, while i'm getting better, i still miss a lot of things. For example, the past tenses (at least the ones i've learned so far) all end in an "n". It's nice to have a little signal that something is in the past, but it's also confusing because the relative clause ending, -en, doesn't change the verb any in the past. So in a phrase like "Hau esan zuen pertsona..." (The that-this-said person/The person that said this), zuen is actually working as part of a relative clause that modifies pertsona (person). Zuen is also the regular past tense form for NOR-NORK. So other than the context there's no real marker. That happens with all the past tense forms. In the long run i don't think it'll be a big issue, but right now it still makes me scratch my head a bit at times.

Today we also covered another prefix: -egi. You can add -egi to an adjective to say that it is TOO something. So "ederregi" is "too pretty", "handiegi" is "too big", etc. I need to get more familiar with the base forms so that i can recognize all the suffixes you can add to them. I like it, though. It's not quite as intense as Quechua where you can (and often do) have several suffixes put together forming really long words that require a good bit of concentration to analyze. I always liked the different suffixes you can add to Spanish words: ito, cito, zote, ote, azo, and one of my personal favorites, ón (cabezón, meón, cabr.. err.. you get the idea!).

The last important thing we covered today was -elako. This is how you say "because". There are a couple other ways that seem kinda similar, but i haven't quite figured them out. I've still got Wikipedia's article on Basque verbs and grammar bookmarked, i'll probably get around to reading it when i finish either Assimil or Beginner's Basque.

Mandarin:
I finished lesson 4 in 高级口语. Tomorrow i'll be working through the new vocabulary for the next dialog (generally 35-40 words). I usually go through the words a several times, first to get the pinyin down then adding the meaning. After that i'll write them out several times. It doesn't really help me remember how to write them, but it makes me focus a bit more on their radicals and helps me remember how to read them later. Then i add the words to Pleco's flashcard system and call it a day. It generally takes around an hour and a half to two hours. I enjoy reading the texts, but after that my mind is usually fried so i wait until the next day before actually looking at the text.
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 26 of 98
05 February 2014 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
Just wanted to post a short note about a website someone told me about today:
http://www.teatro-testuak.com/

There are short stories (ipuinak), school theater (eskola antzerkia), a section for kids (haurrentzat), and some other stuff. But those are the three most interesting to me, since they're generally short and relatively simple! When i finish Assimil (today doing lesson 47) i want to start picking through the site and get some reading practice in! Since the plays are mostly conversational, the verbs/tenses are a bit simpler. I've skimmed through a couple plays already and it's definitely not out of my league.

EDIT: Btw, "haurrentzat" means "for kids". "Haurrentzako ipuinak" means "stories for kids", in case you want to look some up for yourself :)

EDIT: Ok, the rest of the day's stuff. I just finished the first part of lesson 10 of Beginner's Basque. For the most part, while the course is pretty dry, the vocab seems pretty good. I'm adding all the new words into Anki. Right now i've got two decks, one for words from this book and another for sentences from Assimil.

Today's Assimil lesson was a bit of a killer. I don't know that there was much new material introduced, the sentences were just really complex. It seems that everything is backwards from English/Spanish. Today we had several sentences like "Because they told me last week that they're showing his latest work." In Basque, that reads "Done has-that last works showing them-they-are-that said they-to me-because last week-in." (Egin dituen azkeneko lanak erakusten dituztela esan zidatelako joan den astean.) I can piece it together when reading, but listening is so hard.

I think when i finish Assimil i'm going to rush through it once more, this time only listening a couple times until i feel like i've got the lesson down, maybe going through 2 or 3 lessons a day.

Mandarin:
I read the dialog to lesson 5 three times today. It was a bit more difficult for me to understand this one the first time through, it was shorter than the others but crammed with new words. It also had some fancy vocabulary about tests, apparently there are a million types of official tests and a hundred ways to announce them and list the results. I left a good portion of the vocabulary out of the SRS as it was just frustrating me and seemed absolutely useless. I'm fine with just understanding "test". Whether it's an employment test, imperial test, or fancy entrance test, it's still a test and for me that's enough. For now, at least. Maybe i'll come back to it in a couple years when i have a much broader vocabulary (and i'll probably already recognize all the characters that make up the words). There was an interesting idiom (名落孙山:ming2 luo4 sun1 shan1) about being below Sun Shan on the list.
Quote:
In the Song Dynasty (960-1279) there was a joker called Sun Shan. One year he went to take the imperial examination, and came bottom of the list of successful candidates. Back in his hometown, one of his neighbours asked him whether the neighbour's son had also passed. Sun Shan said, with a smile: "Sun Shan was the last on the list. Your son came after Sun Shan."

Later, people used this idiom to indicate failing in an examination or competition.

Edited by Crush on 05 February 2014 at 7:18am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 27 of 98
07 February 2014 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
I'm hoping the people who found the last message useful will come out of the dark and admit that they too want to study Basque (or, even better, have already started studying!)

The last couple lessons were pretty brutal. Yesterday's lesson had a lot of stuff that i feel like was never adequately explained, particularly in the nominalization of verbs and the suffix -ko. I remember a mention of it in Gorka's course, but nothing too extensive. It also didn't help that i had some (self-induced) computer issues that ended in me losing most of my e-books and lots of my language stuff and just wasn't in a good mood the past few days. Now i'm over it and back on track to finishing these last two Assimil lessons (today's is the review lesson, 49) and the last two Beginner's Basque lessons. I'm still a bit undecided what to do afterwards, but i definitely want to do some simple reading.

EDIT: I just asked a couple questions about the last lesson (48) at the Unilang Basque forum and added the sentences to Anki. My brain's a bit fried now so i'm going to set Beginner's Basque aside for today. Anyway, tomorrow's the last day of Assimil!

Edited by Crush on 07 February 2014 at 6:39am

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4429 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 28 of 98
07 February 2014 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Truth be told: I am one of the people who like the previous post but it was more for the
chinese Idiom which I found pretty funny!
But of course, your Basque adventure is definitely still interesting!

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 29 of 98
07 February 2014 at 11:29pm | IP Logged 
I'm glad you found it interesting, i thought it was pretty funny, too.

Mandarin:
Today i started lesson 6. 今天的课比较容易 (怎么说“last class”呢? 上课和下课有开始和完的意思)。 应该说今天的生词很容易,因为还没把这一课 看完。 生词中有不少的很熟悉的字, 上一课的字大部分都没认识过所以有点难。 而且今天有几个已经学过的词语和短语。 我还没看过对话, 可是从生词来看,好像这篇课文可能会有意思 的!

Euskara:
Today i finally finished Assimil! They answered my questions at Unilang and now i understand it a lot better. A lot of the stuff showed up today which was nice as it was easier to understand this time around. I'm still not too comfortable with how nominalization works. Today or tomorrow i'm going to order Colloquial Basque to get another introduction, hopefully it'll explain a few things that i'm still not so clear on.

PointsDotsLines
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3803 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 30 of 98
08 February 2014 at 12:30am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
.....(怎么说“last class”呢? 上课和下课有开始和完的意思)。

你是指 "the previous class" 吗?可以说: 上一节课,上一堂课

Crush wrote:
....上一课的字大部分都没认识过所以有点难

这样说通顺些: 上一节课学的字大部分(我)都不认识,所以有 难。
2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 31 of 98
08 February 2014 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
PointsDotsLines wrote:
你是指 "the previous class" 吗?可以说: 上一节课,上一堂课
就是!谢谢! 我用google查了一下“上一堂课”可不可以说, 但我还觉得不太清出。 听起来也是“上课”的意思, 比如说 “明天我要上一堂课,下了课以后就陪你玩吧 ”

我不知道 “一节课” 也可以, 节和堂有什么出别吗?

其实我没想到会有人回答我的问题, 谢谢你的帮助!

PointsDotsLines
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3803 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 32 of 98
08 February 2014 at 7:32am | IP Logged 
我写中文来回答你的问题,如果有不明白的地 方,尽管问:)

“堂” 本意指中国传统建筑中的正房,如"hall, great hall, assembly hall". 也通指高大建筑,如教堂 (church)。
“一堂” 常用来指众多的人聚集在一起。如: 欢聚一堂,济济一堂

“节”作为量词,是“一段、两段或数段”的 意思。比如:
两节车厢 (railcars)、一节木棍、一节电池
也指书籍的章节,比如:第一章(chapter 1) 第二节(section 2)

"一堂课、一节课" 词义相同,可以交替使用。
使用“...节课”似乎比较多些。
比如,今天上午一共有两节课。第一节课是英 语,然后休息十分钟。第二节课是数学。

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 98 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version