ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 57 of 98
04 March 2014 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
Mandarin
Today i started chapter 8, 沙漠观浴记, of «撒哈拉的故事», i only planned to read about half of it but ended up reading the whole thing (just over 10 pages in Lingocracy) because i thought it was pretty funny and kinda weird. 三毛 found a place where people go to bathe themselves and went just to see how the 撒哈啦威 bathe. Apparently they scrub themselves with stones in a hot room and then rinse themselves with cool water. As she was leaving, the owner told her that people spend a week doing internal cleansing at the "勃哈多海湾". The Bohaduo Bay, i'm not really sure where it is. It seems like 三毛 just makes up a lot of names for people and places that i can't find.

Anyway, she convinces her husband to take her there, watches people do their internal cleaning, and gets chased out by a mob of people who (not surprisingly) feel violated after she laughs at them. Later the news spreads that an "oriental" woman was watching people bathe, and she says something like "Oh, that's right, a group of Japanese people came a week ago and Japanese people love to watch people bathe/ask you how you bathe."

My character reviews have started going down, i lowered new cards to 10 a day and started going through the reviews more slowly. It seems that taking my time and breaking them up into two or three sessions has improved my retension quite a bit. It probably also helps that i've started reading and am seeing some of the words in the texts.

I've also been seeing quite a few chengyu, though i haven't really started studying them yet. An interesting one i came across today was "此地无银三百两", literally "this place no 300 silver taels", or "there aren't 300 silver taels (hidden) here" (两 is the character used for tael). The simplest translation i can think of is Spanish's "delatarse". Essentially it's giving yourself away. I suppose the original came about from a conversation similar to this:
"Have you seen my piggybank?"
"I don't have your 300 silver taels here"
"How did you know there were 300 silver taels inside?"
"I... uh... nope, haven't seen it."
1 person has voted this message useful

PointsDotsLines
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3803 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 58 of 98
04 March 2014 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
The small town (小镇阿雍) where she and her husband were living is Laayoune (or El-Aaiún). And "勃哈多海湾" is Cape Bojador:)

Edited by PointsDotsLines on 04 March 2014 at 6:09am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 59 of 98
04 March 2014 at 6:34am | IP Logged 
Thanks! How did you find those out? I looked for both of those for a long time and couldn't find an English translation or even a picture of a map for them. Wikipedia calls it "博哈多尔角".

Euskara
For Euskara, i finished lesson 25 today. It was about using ibili (Spanish "andar") and egon ("estar") for the present continuous. The previous form we learned for the present continuous was "ari izan". It seems like "ibili" has a lot of uses in Basque. I had heard of using egon in Gorka's course, but they said that it wasn't really correct (and i think that it was imported from Spanish?), now i'm not so sure and wonder if it's maybe dialectical or if it really is considered "batua".

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 60 of 98
05 March 2014 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
Today i've read five pages of the next chapter. That puts me at 31 pages for the month. This chapter is about a guy who gave a huge amount of money as a wedding gift (it's not really a gift, but i forget the word in Chinese) to a girl's family and then the girl refused to come back to the 撒哈拉 with him. It appears it was just a scam to get his money, but he is still waiting for the girl to come live with him.

Yesterday and today Ikasten has been off and on, so i haven't been able to do my Euskara lessons for today yet.

EDIT: I just watched another episode (9,聪明还是笨)of 大耳朵图图. I have to say that a lot of these are actually really interesting. I really don't much care for 图图's mom, she's always saying "太丢脸,太丢脸啊" and only seems happy when people complement her or say good things about 图图. 图图‘s dad seems a bit more down to earth, but still is always talking about being a 男子汉 and how a "man" should act. He doesn't seem to judge 图图 as much though and just sort of goes with the flow. Anyway, in one of the episodes they talked about how telling kids lies to get them to behave (don't do this, or the boogie-man will get you!) can backfire. For one, you're taking advantage of their trust in you, and two, their fear can lead them to do things that are even worse than being naughty (in 图图's case, he ran away because he was too scared to enter the building when he saw the person he was afraid of at the door).

EDIT: Just finished lesson 26. it was about the -ela form, used similar to "that" in English sentences like "I think that you love me" (Nik maite nauzuela uste dut). In other words, after verbs like to think (pentsatu), say (esan), believe (uste), admit (aitortu), etc. I think it's a really cool way to handle it and it's not new (it was in Assimil), but it's still hard for me to process. Basque in general is really hard for me to process, the more i progress the more i think an FSI course for Basque would be perfect...

Edited by Crush on 05 March 2014 at 7:31am

PointsDotsLines
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3803 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 

Message 61 of 98
05 March 2014 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
I’ve read in some Chinese blogs before in which people wrote about their trips to the places that 三毛 and her husband used to live. So I did a quick search and found them on Google map:)

One reason that you weren’t able to find it is that Laayoune in Chinese can be written as "阿雍、拉雍、阿尤恩". So, knowing Chinese helps;-)

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 62 of 98
07 March 2014 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
That explains why i couldn't figure it out ;)

汉语
Today i read the first five pages of Chapter 8 (before i counted the first two texts as chapters, i guess they're really just introductions). Anyway, that puts me at:
As of March 7th:
第五章:15页
第六章:11页
第七章:13页
第八章:11页
第九章:14页
第十章:17页
第十一章:17页
第十二章:34/34页
...or around 132 pages.

Euskara
Today i finished lesson 27. Tomorrow i've got the 25-27 review to do. This lesson introduced the full forms in present and past of izan in NOR-NORI. It's so much to remember and i really don't have it down. I'm not sure why they decided to add both at once, even one form would be a lot. It doesn't help that they're super long, for example "you(pl)-to-me" in the present tense is zatzaizkit. In the past, it's "zintzaizkidan". The listening exercises were killer. I definitely need to review the verbs more (i feel like Euskara is nothing BUT verbs), but i'm not really sure how. I've covered a good number of the basic forms twice already with Gorka's course and, to a lesser extent, with Assimil and Beginner's Basque. I should pick up Colloquial Basque again and if i can get some cash, find a copy of "The Basque Language". I think i'm really just going to ignore vocabulary for now (meaning no Anki) as getting the verbs down is much more important and not knowing them well is really frustrating.

Edited by Crush on 24 March 2014 at 4:01am

PointsDotsLines
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3803 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 

Message 63 of 98
07 March 2014 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
After reading “Lingocracy.com” in your log numerous times, I signed up and added a number of reading materials. A neat tool:) It certainly helps me increase the reading comprehension.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 64 of 98
08 March 2014 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
Cool, hope you like it. It's especially useful for Mandarin, it also lets me know about how many new words i can expect in a text i'm going to read.

Today i finished chapter 8, which puts me at 50 pages. I dunno how long i can keep this pace up, but it's looking like i can finish 撒哈拉的故事 in a little over a month.

EDIT: Duela gutxi 25tik 27rako ikasgaien errepasoa amaitu du. I just finished the review lesson for lessons 25-27.

Edited by Crush on 08 March 2014 at 5:47am

This discussion contains 98 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version