Diglot
United States
Joined 5168 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 89 of 98
09 July 2014 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
Going to China!?!?!? That's cool. Tell us more.

I have been intrigued by the Basque language (as well as the other languages in Spain... Valenciano, Galician). I just think it is cool that the language somehow developed there and has stayed in force throughout history. I admittedly don't know much about Spanish history, but Basque just seems cool.

1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 90 of 98
23 July 2014 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
I'll just be teaching English there again. I'm looking forward to being back, though i wish i could just go to study rather than work. Maybe i can do that my second year there.

In other news, i've completed the Italian audio/video portion of the Super Challenge after finishing the audiobook of Anna Karenina today. I read about a quarter of it a couple years back in Russian (L-R'ing it) but other than that i'd never read it before. I really enjoyed Tolstoy's portrayals of the different relationships in the book, though i could've done without all of the talk about "spirituality". The different discussions on communism were interesting, though, and the talks and reflections on jealousy.

For now i'm going to try to focus on Chinese for the next month or two until i head to China, i've fallen behind in my character reviews. Fortunately i know pretty much everything through HSK 4, but i have a huge backlog of about 900 characters from HSK 5 that i've got to work through. I've also been doing the Glossika lessons, though a lot of it has a strong Taiwan feel to it, a lot of constructions don't feel natural to me and when i asked some of my friends they gave me different ways to say them, in particular some of the things with 有 and 会 (eg. 你有迟到吗? instead of 你迟到了吗?). For the most part it's fine, but i wonder if i'll get accustomed to the Taiwan way of saying things by the time i head back to the 大陆. It's not the worst thing in the world, but i don't think i'm at a solid enough level to really be able to distinguish between them. So far i've enjoyed the sentences, though.

EDIT: And James, Basque is super cool. You should pick it up, too (or Català/Galego). It's nice because most resources to learn it (or Català/Galego) are in Spanish, so you can also work and review your Spanish at the same time :)

Edited by Crush on 23 July 2014 at 2:20am

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 91 of 98
26 August 2014 at 7:16am | IP Logged 
我刚刚来到中国了,现在在山东。下个星期一 开始工作。我的中文差了很多,我要努力学习 ,哈哈。

I just got to China, i'm still working on my characters. I started the HSK 6 set a few weeks ago but i've been going slowly since i got behind and now i've got lots of reviews every day. I think once i get it down to 100 reviews or so a day i'll pick up the pace a bit. Right now i'm just adding two new characters a day just to have some sort of progress.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4083 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 92 of 98
26 August 2014 at 7:54am | IP Logged 
Me sorprendo mucho que los caracteres chinos me queden todavía presentes en la cabeza,
he reconocio en principio la totalidad de lo que has escrito en chino a pesar de haber
dejado de estudiarlo en 2007 después de haber comenzado ese idioma en 2003. Respalda la
idea de que los caracteres no son tal rollo del cual algunos se quejan una y otra vez.
¿Aprendes sólo los simplificados o piensas incorporarte el aprendizaje de los
tradicionales en algún momento del futuro? La diferencia sólo queda entre los
radicales, por ejemplo (disculpa, pero no tengo el programa para escribir los
caracteres en el ordenador), 语 en 汉语, la parte izquierda se contrae desde la forma
tradicional 語, el radical de «libro», pero el restante es lo mismo.

¿Piensas trasladarte de forma permanente? Ojalá tuvieae tantas oportunidades de vivir
en otro país durante meses, viví tanto en el Reino Unido como en EEUU, así que ambos
países angloparlantes, algo que no facilita el aprendizaje de idiomas extranjeros. ¿A
qué nivel de chino estimarías que estás?

Me preguntaba dónde estaría Shandong pero me he confundido con la ciudad de «Shenyang»,
o «Mukden», reconocido por su ignomnioso pasado durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial
cuando el Ejército Imperial Japonés invadió el país e instaló un «centro» en sus
afueras, pero veo que Shandong está en el este de la parte central del país.

He aquí un vídeo sobre madirleños que se instalaron en China,
Madrileños por el Mundo: Sur de China, parece que
hay una cantidad de ellos, de la igual manera podrías buscar el programa con los
españoles/andaluces/aragoneses, etc. por el mundo y restringir la busca a China. ¡Que
te diviertas!

Edited by 1e4e6 on 26 August 2014 at 11:56pm

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5168 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 93 of 98
31 August 2014 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Make the most of your trip... sounds amazing. I have a few young friends from my meetup group who do basically what you are doing... they go live in a foreign country like Mexico or China and teach English. It just seems like such a great thing to do.

Regarding Galego and Catalan... I had two super Skype partners for the first few years of my Spanish studies. One also spoke Galego and the other also spoke Catalan. I am sure I could practice with them if I took up their other language. I had thought of learning Catalan for various reasons, but just don't see the utility of it for me at this time. I have personal reasons for learning French and I also am interested in Portuguese for professional reasons. But... I really need to focus on my Spanish for a while longer.

You motivate a lot of us. Keep it up.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 94 of 98
07 October 2014 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
Well i've been slugging away at Chinese all this time, i've now got over 3000 "words" in my Pleco deck (all of HSK1-5 and a few hundred words from HSK6, plus a couple hundred words from TV shows, friends, etc.) and am trying to really finish the HSK6 word list, which is basically all the other lists combined (around 2500 words). I've also been watching lots of TV shows and movies, i finally finished all four seasons of 爱情公寓 and have started watching 天龙八部, which while not as helpful for learning everyday vocabulary as 爱情公寓 i find much more enjoyable. I really like the old kung-fu/wuxia shows for some reason, especially those by 金庸 (jin1 yong1). I'd really like to read his books someday.

On the more serious study side of things, now that i'm back in China study materials are aplenty and cheap, i bought a couple textbooks and right now am going through 发展汉语 中级口语 II, the new version of the textbook i used in 昆明. I've finished the first two chapters and learned a few new words, but i think i really need to jump back into a grammar book to help iron out some of my problems (though i still think it's mostly a lack of vocabulary, which is why i've put so much emphasis on the HSK lists).

I've also been working my way through the Glossika Chinese Fluency 1 course, which i've restarted several times already. I'm a little more than halfway through and will try to be consistent with it. Soon i'll start back work on learning to write the characters, too.

With other languages i'm not doing much as i really want to push my Chinese closer to where my Spanish or even Catalan is, but i have been doing a lot of reading lately, mostly in English, something i haven't done in years (since i started studying Spanish, really). But i have read a few books in Catalan and am currently reading through the memoirs of Clément Duval (Memorie autobiografiche) as put together by Luigi Galleani, which is really interesting if perhaps a bit above my level.

PointsDotsLines
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 3799 days ago

76 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 95 of 98
13 October 2014 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
¡Hola, Crush!
¿Trabajás in China? ¡Qué bueno! ¿En qué ciudad vives?
Seguro que mejorares tu chino muy rápido.
¡Muchos saludos!

嗨,你好!你现在在中国了?在哪个城市工作 ?
你一定能很快地提高你的中文。
加油!

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5658 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 96 of 98
29 October 2014 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
Hola PointsDotsLines, sí, ahora estoy en China enseñando inglés. Ojalá mi chino se mejorara más rápido, pero como que hablo inglés todos los días y fuera del colegio no conozco a mucha gente, tengo muy pocas oportunidades de hablar en chino. Intento hablarlo a cada oportunidad, salgo a buscar gente con quien jugar al fútbol o al basket pero muchas veces llevo una vida bastante solitaria. 这个城市比较小,是山东东营的一个地区,叫 做河口。 我以为在小点的城市我说汉语的机会会更多的 , 但原来不是这样。 在这里认识别人很难, 连让别人跟我聊天很难何况交朋友。 可我还是想谢谢你的话,我一定会努力的, 这次学会汉语之前就不会离开中国!

Btw, i've been following emk's Spanish log and read Sprachprofi's article on learning to understand a TV show in 30 days with subs2srs. I gave up on it before because it was a nightmare trying to get it running under Linux, but now i've got a VM set up (online banking in China is a nightmare, don't ask). I made cards out of the first movie i could find Chinese and English subtitles to (色,戒) and so far think it has a lot of potential. I've started watching the rest of the movie in 30 minute chunks and can feel it getting more comprehensible every day. So far i've gone through about 100 or so cards (and deleted another 100). I don't think this is the best movie for it, though, i'm not sure what the other languages are but i'm pretty certain they aren't Mandarin, perhaps Cantonese and Shanghainese? There are also several Mandarin accents that are a bit harder for me to understand.

I also finished 天龙八部, though i watched it with English subtitles. I picked up a few good phrases, things like 在下,告辞,献丑,天下无敌/双, etc. that are probably useless in daily life but that i've been tossing around in conversations with my friends.

Lastly, if anyone knows of any series with Basque audio/dubs AND Basque subtitles (or the same for Greek!), please let me know. I've looked all over and can find one but not the other. There are a few subtitles available at opensubtitles.org in Basque as well as at azpitituluak.com, but none of those shows/movies seem to have Basque dubs. The same with the stuff at Euskal-Encodings, there are quite a few things with dubs but nothing that has accompanying Basque subtitles. I wonder how it would work with just Basque audio and English subtitles?

This discussion contains 98 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version