rlnv
United States
Joined 3741 days ago

126 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 33 of 68
18 April 2014 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
Thank you luke for the link. It just so happens that I was looking for it. I previously saw that posted somewhere some time back but have been unable to find it since. I never did recall enough information about it to successfully search it out. Saved it this time, and will definitely put it to use!

Edited by rlnv on 18 April 2014 at 2:40am

1 person has voted this message useful

rlnv
United States
Joined 3741 days ago

126 posts - 233 votes 

Message 34 of 68
22 April 2014 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
Some observations from the past month regarding my Learning Based Challenge for April.

rlnv wrote:

My name: rlnv
My goals:
1. Assimil NFWE - 30 lessons.
2. French vocabulary - 500 new words.
3. FSI Basic French - units 1 and 2.
4. Hugo French in 3 months - finish this, 8 more weekly lessons to do.
5. Schedule sessions with tutor during the last week of April.

+ If I could only do one method, it would be Assimil NFWE. No contest.

+ I plan to finish all 24 units of FSI. I love it. If I could only do two methods, it would be Assimil and FSI.

+ When I first started Hugo, I thought it was mostly review. A lot of it is, but I'm getting tons of vocabulary and it's filling in a lot of holes. It's a good method, but not one that I'd ever want to use alone. In my opinion, it needs to be used with another method since it's light on dialog and heavy on vocabulary and grammar rules. The book binding is horrible, stiff and now falling apart from usage. I bought the Complete Edition which also has the advanced book. I won't be doing it.

+ I hate doing single word vocabulary with Anki. I would rather chew on cardboard than ever attempt 500 words with it again in one month. Luke was right, its the war. I'm putting it down for now.

+ I'm still a bit nervous about getting a tutor.

------

Super Challenge film material:

I ordered Planète Terre - Coffret 4 DVD from Amazon France. I'll be using it for the Super Challenge, but I won't start these until after I've completed Assimil. I'll also go slow at first since they don't have English subs. They do have French subs, so maybe with lots of rewinding and looking up, I'll be able to understand enough to get benefit from it.

I'll be blending in other films as well, some tougher ones with English subs and some easier ones, maybe some kids shows or cartoons - I'm not sure, I need to look around. I'd like to do a soap opera also for the common idiomatic dialog, and I also have Buffy.

I'm looking forward to the second half of this year and next year when I'll be primarily be reading French books and watching French shows.

After Assimil is done, it will be FSI and native materials only (well maybe a grammar book and frequency dictionary).
2 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4999 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 35 of 68
22 April 2014 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
rlnv wrote:

Super Challenge film material:

I ordered ie=UTF8&psc=1">Planète Terre - Coffret 4 DVD from Amazon France. I'll be using it for the Super
Challenge, but I won't start these until after I've completed Assimil. I'll also go slow at first since they don't
have English subs. They do have French subs, so maybe with lots of rewinding and looking up, I'll be able to
understand enough to get benefit from it.

I'll be blending in other films as well, some tougher one

Those are good series; Charles Tisseyre does many of the French-language dubs for the the ones we get
here in Canada, and he's very clear, with a pleasant voice. But if you're getting yours from Amazon France,
they may have a different dubbing actor.

Can you get the English version from your local library or video store perhaps? You won't of course want to
buy a *second* version in Eng., but perhaps if you have access to another copy as a backup, or if you watch
it beforehand/ afterwards , it may save you a bit of looking up/rewinding?

rlnv
United States
Joined 3741 days ago

126 posts - 233 votes 

Message 36 of 68
22 April 2014 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:

Those are good series; Charles Tisseyre does many of the French-language dubs for the the ones we get
here in Canada, and he's very clear, with a pleasant voice. But if you're getting yours from Amazon France,
they may have a different dubbing actor.

Can you get the English version from your local library or video store perhaps? You won't of course want to
buy a *second* version in Eng., but perhaps if you have access to another copy as a backup, or if you watch
it beforehand/ afterwards , it may save you a bit of looking up/rewinding?

I was initially going to purchase that version from amazon.ca, but they stated that it would take 2 - 4 weeks to ship it during checkout. It was also not clear to me what subtitles were included. So I went to amazon.fr and noticed they had a version with at least French subtitles - I suspect for hearing impaired. Even though I won't get heavily into the series in the next month or so, I am anxious to at least see one episode to evaluate my current level of comprehension. :)

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6995 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 37 of 68
22 April 2014 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
rlnv wrote:

+ When I first started Hugo, I thought it was mostly review. A lot of it is, but I'm getting tons of vocabulary and it's filling in a lot of holes. It's a good method, but not one that I'd ever want to use alone. In my opinion, it needs to be used with another method since it's light on dialog and heavy on vocabulary and grammar rules. The book binding is horrible, stiff and now falling apart from usage. I bought the Complete Edition which also has the advanced book. I won't be doing it.

So one thumb up for Hugo French in 3 months and none or the advanced book? Why is that? I'm curious, since you guys doing Hugo seem to be making good progress.

rlnv
United States
Joined 3741 days ago

126 posts - 233 votes 

Message 38 of 68
22 April 2014 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
rlnv wrote:

So one thumb up for Hugo French in 3 months and none or the advanced book? Why is that? I'm curious, since you guys doing Hugo seem to be making good progress.

Thank you for asking.

When I started doing Hugo 3 Months, I anticipated also doing the advanced book. There are primarily two reasons why I most likely will not do advanced. I want to transition to native books and shows as quickly as possible. I also know now that I want to finish FSI. So my current plan is to only work on FSI after completing Assimil. Doing only the single method will give me more time to use easy readers, and more viewing time for movies an shows.

I know Assimil NFWE and FSI are complete opposites, but they both appeal to me for different reasons. I've always been wired to like doing repetitive tasks, and I'm the type of person that often needs to repeat something exhaustively to deeply ingrain it. I find FSI enjoyable to spend time with. It just clicks with me. Previewing later units, I believe I will continue enjoying it.

On the other hand, Assimil appeals to me simply because I find it exceedingly effective. It's approach covers so much ground in very little time. I enjoy the stories, and the characters are well acted.

If I do end up doing one more method it will most likely be the more advanced Assimil Using French. But I'd like to give myself some time with native materials to see if another advanced method would be beneficial. Hugo Advanced is likely a good method, but it doesn't fit given that I'm committing to FSI and Assimil.

3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6995 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 39 of 68
23 April 2014 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
That makes total sense.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4699 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 40 of 68
23 April 2014 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Hi rlnv, I've been watching your progress on the Learning Based Challenge, and I just spotted your log, so I thought I'd have a look over it. Now I plan to definitely follow your progress. I use a lot of the same methods you use, although I've never tried Fluenz. But I also love both Assimil and FSI. FSI clicks well with me when I go for a bike ride or walk for an hour or so. I have also used Pimsleur on and off, and have recently completed the first half of level III.

Thanks for the suggestion of Planète Terre; I've added it to my basket. Last August I bought the box set Le Peuple des océans + Océans. I've watched one episode, and it's very good, but I've been saving the rest for the Super Challenge. I also bought Les p'tits diables saison 1 partie 1 which I highly recommend if you want something more amusing. The language is more colloquial, but there are recognizable patterns in the stories, and it's not hard to figure out what's going on.

I also have a recommendation for your Kindle:
Le Petit Nicolas. The stories are short and funny.
And to go with it:
Le Petit Nicolas CD is absolutely wonderful listening. The reader does a brilliant job capturing the spirit of the stories. Although at times it gets a bit fast, even without understanding everything it is really funny.

Sorry if I've given you too much spending temptation!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 68 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version