Joined 4998 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 49 of 68
27 April 2014 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
rlnv wrote:
Okay, I finally put my fear aside and scheduled a 30 minute lesson with a tutor from France
next Wednesday. But I reserve the right to cheat by making some preparation notes on what I will say the
first time. If we work well in our session, then I'll probably do many more sessions with her.

That's great news; looking forward to hearing how it goes.

In this context, "cheating"* is absolutely the way to go, and even recommended: Boris Shekhtman, in his
excellent book "How to Improve Your Foreign Language Immediately",
http://tinyurl.com/shekhtman2013 recommends preparing and
practicing short "islands" of dialogue as one of the tools/strategies for improving your communicative ability. I
highly recommend the book, by the way, as do many others on Htlal.

*In the first chapter of his book, Shekhtman describes a situation in which he referred a student of Russian to
a tutor: the first tutor-student meeting went disastrously - the student "forgot all of the communicative tools
[which Shekhtman had taught him]". When Shekhtman asked the student why he'd not used the strategies
he'd learnt, he replied, "Because I didn't want to trick her. Why should I make her think that I know the
language better than I do?"

Shekhtman's replies:
"...Because if you'd used them, you could have talked with her, and had a nice conversation."
"...And only by using our communicative tools would you have shown her your real language level."

So - no need to think of it as "cheating"!

Updated to add: the Amazon listing for the earlier edition of Shekhtman's book has preview pages which you
can read.

Edited by songlines on 27 April 2014 at 7:56pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

rlnv
United States
Joined 3740 days ago

126 posts - 233 votes 

Message 50 of 68
28 April 2014 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:

Good luck Ron. I'm actually quite pleased you have made this step that I haven't yet taken myself. So, like
yourself I aim to follow Jeffers words of wisdom quite soon, but ironically once I've finished a couple more
courses I'm almost done with. Let us know how it goes. Is she French, Canadian or other? You could have
delayed it, but it seems to me that like myself sufficient ground work has already been covered in order to
take the plunge without any damaging effects and with plenty to gain. I'm really looking fwd to hearing all
about it.

PM

I now actually have two lessons scheduled. This week with a tutor from Canada, and two weeks later with a tutor from France.

I am excited and nervous to see how far my estimated A1 with A2 in some areas will take me. The conversation will be very basic and it might be difficult for me to go the entire 30 minutes.    

Edited by rlnv on 28 April 2014 at 3:06am

1 person has voted this message useful

rlnv
United States
Joined 3740 days ago

126 posts - 233 votes 

Message 51 of 68
28 April 2014 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
Songlines, thank you for pointing out that book! It looks like a very good read. I just ordered the 3rd edition and will read it before my second tutor session.

I will be spending time tomorrow night organizing topics that will likely come up in my first session and practice how a conversation in those areas might go. The introductory topics like; where are are you from, what do you like to do, etc. In each area I'll make notes of my possible questions and responses. So without reading the book by Shekhtman yet, those will be my islands, or for the first time probably more like my life rafts. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4018 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 52 of 68
01 May 2014 at 10:02am | IP Logged 
Just stopping by to wish you all the best and a good start with the Super Challenge! How was your tutoring lesson?

rlnv
United States
Joined 3740 days ago

126 posts - 233 votes 

Message 53 of 68
22 May 2014 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
I'm back after few weeks hiatus. After the April learning challenge, I was burning out a bit and at the end very stressed about my commitment to work with a tutor. With all my enthusiasm, I bit off more than I could chew when I set those goals for the challenge. I didn't complete all the goals and I backed out of the tutor session. Sorry for misleading, I was trying to convince myself that I was ready, and I was not. Not under those circumstance anyway. Nevertheless, I did learn a lot in April. I've spent some time reflecting on how to get from here (A2-ish), to there (B2-ish).

Here are some things that I need to recognize within my studies:
+ I switch-up what I'm doing often enough that I feel confined with setting specific laundry list of short term goals.

+ Given the degree of which I'm an introvert, my path to B2 needs to reflect this. My Learning Styles result for the Active versus Reflective scale is an 11 on the Reflective side. I'm an INFJ with 78% introvert on the Jung test.

+ When I am ready to spend time with a tutor, it will be in person. Here in town I am fortunate to have available a well regarded French Academy with a couple teachers native to France, possessing very good credentials. They have group and private lessons. In person private lessons are much more appealing to me than Skype, for my first footsteps into conversation.

+ I've come to realize the magnitude of this undertaking. I don't want to have traveler French skills, I want no less than a high level of written and verbal skills. My commitment is as strong or stronger than its ever been.

+ The value I'm getting from reading about other members is invaluable. I won't name names, but there are many memebers that I've gained great amounts of knowledge and encouragement from here.

What I've been doing the past couple of weeks:
+ I'm still doing one Assimil NFWE lesson a day. Currently at 79. They are definitely getting harder.

+ I've made MP3's of each of the first 2 CD's, removing the exercises and removing some free space. These are about ~25 minutes each. I just started using these.

+ I also am starting to type out each Assimil lesson, line by line in a spreadsheet. This forces me to pay very close attention to everything that is happening within the lesson. I'm also adding a column to write out each infinitive verb I find within the lesson. Intensive study.

+ I've been working on the Barron's French Verb Workbook.

+ I ordered Plus Belle La Vie, Volume 1. The French soap. Looking though some of the transcripts here, it appears that the language will be easier than other shows I've been watching. Unfortunately they only have a few of the transcripts.

rlnv
United States
Joined 3740 days ago

126 posts - 233 votes 

Message 54 of 68
06 June 2014 at 8:00am | IP Logged 
Continuing my log here on the Polydog forum.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4698 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 55 of 68
06 June 2014 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
I'll comment here, since I'm not a member of polydog. I missed your previous post... I understand exactly why you didn't end up signing up for skype lessons. But it is pretty good that you have a French academy nearby for when you are ready. I would say that would be better than most options on skype in any case.

What books have you started to read for the super challenge?

rlnv
United States
Joined 3740 days ago

126 posts - 233 votes 

Message 56 of 68
07 June 2014 at 6:31am | IP Logged 
Hi Jeffers. Indeed I am fortunate to have the caliber of instruction available only a few miles down the road. They specialize in DELF/DALF preparation, and instruction at all levels, private and class room. A very active calendar of events, I understand. When the time comes, I'll approach them to get an evaluation to see where I stand. I may do a month or two of private sessions, and perhaps join the class room as well.

I'm still primarily working on courses, so my reading has been slow. I figure in a few months reading will start to become more rapid. Easy readers and Le Petite Prince for now. I have a few Hachette graded books on the way from France, one each in A1, A2, and B1.

This discussion contains 68 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version