Diglot
United States
Joined 5035 days ago

174 posts - 330 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 38
21 February 2014 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
I live next to a state that is considering computer programming to fulfill a foreign language requirement. I'll try to
post the link that accompanied the email:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stacie-nevadomski-berdan/compu ter-science-is-not-a_b_4823691.html

While computer programming is certainly "all Greek to me," what are others' thoughts on this? Do you all consider
this a legitimate option to 2 years of foreign language instruction? Granted, many have low opinions of second
language study in high school, but this is addressed in other threads. What do you think?

1 person has voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5024 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 2 of 38
21 February 2014 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
If we're talking about the Platonic question of is computer language just another type of language, then the answer is no. There are obvious and non-arbitrary differences between computer languages and what we would traditionally call languages.

As to the separate question of the wisdom of the program, it's probably a good idea since most high school language classes, whatever their quality, aren't very effective, and few will ever achieve fluency. Moreover, English being the closest thing to a lingua franca in the world, it's doubly pointless to try and make Americans learn foreign languages. Finally, computer programming is almost surely a more useful skill in the United States economy than any foreign language.

I'd of course prefer a (real) language course--but I try to keep my preferences to myself. I generally support giving people, or at least their families, more freedom to govern their own educations, not less.
7 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4503 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 38
21 February 2014 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
wv girl wrote:
I live next to a state that is considering computer programming to
fulfill a foreign language requirement. I'll try to
post the link that accompanied the email:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stacie-nevadomski-berdan/compu ter-science-is-not-
a_b_4823691.html

While computer programming is certainly "all Greek to me," what are others' thoughts on
this? Do you all consider
this a legitimate option to 2 years of foreign language instruction? Granted, many
have low opinions of second
language study in high school, but this is addressed in other threads. What do you
think?

It's worthwhile making it compulsory in the modern age, but not replacing a foreign
language - both should be compulsory along with English and mathematics.
4 persons have voted this message useful

MixedUpCody
United States
Joined 5052 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 4 of 38
21 February 2014 at 8:27pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
If we're talking about the Platonic question of is computer language just another
type of language, then the answer is no. There are obvious and non-arbitrary differences between computer
languages and what we would traditionally call languages.

As to the separate question of the wisdom of the program, it's probably a good idea since most high school
language classes, whatever their quality, aren't very effective, and few will ever achieve fluency. Moreover, 
English being the closest thing to a lingua franca in the world, it's doubly pointless to try and make Americans
learn foreign languages. Finally, computer programming is almost surely a more useful skill in the United
States economy than any foreign language.

I'd of course prefer a (real) language course--but I try to keep my preferences to myself. I generally support
giving people, or at least their families, more freedom to govern their own educations, not less.

I couldn't have said this better myself. As an amateur programmer and a language enthusiast, I will say that
programming is nothing like learning a foreign language. However, I will also say that the average person will
benefit far more from the type of critical, logical, algorithmic thinking required for programming than they
would from knowing some French conjugation tables.

Edited by MixedUpCody on 21 February 2014 at 8:44pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

nicozerpa
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4122 days ago

182 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 5 of 38
21 February 2014 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
I work as a programmer. Although they have a few things in common, programming languages and
"human" languages are almost completely different things: you can't talk with another person in C++, and
you can't build a computer application with Spanish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cristianoo
Triglot
Brazil
https://projetopoligRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3917 days ago

175 posts - 289 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, FrenchB2, English
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 38
21 February 2014 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
Yes, it's a language, but should'nt be counted as a foreign language as it is far easier
to learn.

The vocabulary is very small and grammar rules are very well structured and with no
"exceptions" or oddities.

So count it as foreign language is some sort of laziness to me

nandemonai
Diglot
BelgiumRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3969 days ago

101 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 7 of 38
22 February 2014 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
If we're talking about the Platonic question of is computer language just another
type of language, then the answer is no. There are obvious and non-arbitrary differences between
computer languages and what we would traditionally call languages.

As to the separate question of the wisdom of the program, it's probably a good idea since most high
school language classes, whatever their quality, aren't very effective, and few will ever achieve fluency.
Moreover, English being the closest thing to a lingua franca in the world, it's doubly pointless to try and
make Americans learn foreign languages. Finally, computer programming is almost surely a more useful
skill in the United States economy than any foreign language.

I'd of course prefer a (real) language course--but I try to keep my preferences to myself. I generally
support giving people, or at least their families, more freedom to govern their own educations, not less.

I agree with this. I would love to have had this possibility. In high school I have wasted a lot of time in
badly taught foreign language classes, which could've been used for more interesting subjects.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4418 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 8 of 38
24 February 2014 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
Funnily enough, I've met a lot of professional computer programmers, who are obviously "fluent" in a progamming language, who tell me that they "can't do foreign languages"

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 38 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version