24 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 24
02 March 2014 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
The thing is that nobody's knowledge is fully reflected in Anki. Also not everyone uses single-word cards and of course not everyone even uses Anki (or another SRS).

And vocab is a very fluid thing. You may learn a word on the first day of the challenge and forget it by the end of it. Then you'll come across it in a book and you'll remember it again.

Edited by Serpent on 02 March 2014 at 7:41am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4137 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 24
02 March 2014 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
Not everyone wants to make YouTube videos, so the Add1 challenge is also not for everyone.
Not everyone wants to write a log, so the TAC isn't for everyone either. Not everyone is at a
level high enough for extensive reading, so it's the same for Tadoku. Well, it might not be a "one
size fits all," but still, I'm not aware of any better level indicator than vocabulary size. Of course
one has to also learn grammar, among other things, and it can't be just any words one's
learning, but I presume it would make for a practical goal. Also, I'm not suggesting imposing
study methods on people. Rather gathering people who are interested in this particular way, and
documenting the progress achievable with it from beginner, to advanced. Personally, I haven't
seen many logs/vlogs describing progression from a very low level, to actual proficiency. Might
be my google'ing skills though. Anyway, I think many people could find it both interesting and
motivating.
Yes, vocabulary is fluid, however you can estimate its size with a certain probability. I think I've
read some calculations regarding the percentage of words in the deck one knows at any given
moment (on average). And of course it is also affected by the frequency at which the word
occurs, if one exposes themselves to native content.

In short, might not be perfect, but hopefully sufficient. And if you know of any better ways, I'm
open to suggestions.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 11 of 24
03 March 2014 at 2:16pm | IP Logged 
I quite like this idea, and I'd like to see it happen this April. Instead of counting
time (like the 6wc), or counting items completed (like the Super Challenge), this would
allow people to do a more "mundane" challenge, but would be useful to many of us.
DaraghM suggested the challenge, and said it could be: "learn 200 words, learn 100
idioms, learn 100 kanji or learn the genitive case rules". So the focus is on
things learnt.   This will suit some people, and others will hate it. If you
don’t like the idea of this challenge, then it’s not for you.

As to the objections mentioned so far:
* It wouldn't have to be done on Anki, it could be done with wordlists, paper cards,
working on Vocabulearn, or however else you prefer to learn (even a mix of methods).
You could even take an estimate test, do lots of immersion type study, and take another
test at the end to find out approximately how much you've learned.
* People who use sentence cards would set their goal accordingly (e.g. “Learn 100
sentences”).
* I don’t think people need to demonstrate their learning by making a video, but it’s a
good idea if they want to!
* I agree vocabulary is fluid. I would think it would be a requirement to keep
reviewing words learnt over the course of the challenge.

I pm’ed DaraghM about it, and he said he’d be happy if I administer this challenge
(assuming there are people who want to take part), because he is very busy at the
moment.

So, here are my proposals:
* I'd suggest each participant sets their own goal (e.g. learn 200/300/500 words, study
150 sentences, learn 25 conjugations, etc.), so it's less of a contest and more of a
shared personal challenge.
* I would suggest each participant chooses a goal which would be personally
challenging. This, of course, differs from person to person.
* You can mix learning tasks in your challenge. E.g. “learn 200 sentences and 20
conjugations”.
* There would be no ranking. You would either finish it or not.
* Participants would be asked to continue to revise items learned over the course of
the challenge.
* Each interested person would simply post their challenge goal on a registration
thread, which would be gathered together on the first post. People can give periodic
updates if they want, but they just need to state at the end what they believe they
actually achieved.
* I think the best time to do a challenge like this would be this April. This would
give people something concrete to do to prepare for the Super Challenge and/or Dead
Languages Challenge (if they are taking part in them), but wouldn't interfere with
them. Plus we would have almost a month to set it up.

Questions:
What sort of things could be included? DaraghM mentioned vocabulary, idioms, kanji,
genitive case rules. I've mentioned sentences and conjugations. Can anyone think of
anything similar they’d like to include?

5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 24
03 March 2014 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
I think some ideas from reineke's challenge are very neat - obviously without the 100x part. I'd like to read some 15-30 Portuguese poems intensively - looking up everything, rereading, googling to figure out the symbolism etc. Writing my own annotation. Everything that would be too slow for the Super Challenge.

Also some GLOSS lessons maybe? And are you cool with using various languages without having separate goals for them?

I think it's more productive to think of the tasks that *don't* count. That would be mostly extensive reading and listening, the goals of the SC proper.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4697 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 13 of 24
03 March 2014 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I think some ideas from reineke's challenge are very neat - obviously without the 100x part. I'd like to read some 15-30 Portuguese poems intensively - looking up everything, rereading, googling to figure out the symbolism etc. Writing my own annotation. Everything that would be too slow for the Super Challenge.

Also some GLOSS lessons maybe? And are you cool with using various languages without having separate goals for them?

I think it's more productive to think of the tasks that *don't* count. That would be mostly extensive reading and listening, the goals of the SC proper.

I like those ideas, since you're not just doing the same thing as you will in the SC. The point isn't to get burnt out before it starts, the point is to get some preparation in place. I could see where intensively studying x poems would help you with your reading once the SC begins. And for this challenge I see nothing wrong with using various languages. It seems like a good idea. So if your goal was to learn 200 sentences, you could divide it up between your SC languages. The point is to have a goal oriented challenge, which will help us to do something different from the SC, but in order to get us ready to hit the SC hard.

I guess as far as tasks that *don't* count, I'd be pretty happy if people set themselves any goal other than extensive reading/listening. I think the more different from the SC, the better for avoiding pre-SC burnout.

You've given me another idea of something someone could do: memorize texts. E.g. memorize x lines of a poem, or x pages of a script, or even x Assimil dialogues. I could see that being very useful.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4216 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 14 of 24
04 March 2014 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
This is great! I'll think about it and decide on something realistic for the month of April. I already set pretty specific
monthly language goals, but I guess as soon as I put it out there publicly there's an added degree of accountability
to keep me motivated. And the thought that others are trying to accomplish similar things. Thanks for the great
idea!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5183 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 15 of 24
05 March 2014 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
Count me in, too. It sounds like a good way to get back into the swing of things, since life has pulled me away from language studies lately. :)

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4423 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 16 of 24
05 March 2014 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
That sounds great, I'll take part too.