96 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 89 of 96
20 March 2014 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
But for some reason you don't strike me as the type who enjoys Japanese.
1 person has voted this message useful

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6240 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 90 of 96
21 March 2014 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
Replying specifically to the original post: yes, I do study languages that I'm bound to fail in. However, I tend to go into them with the mindset that I know I'm never going to be fluent, so I'm not
failing by not reaching fluency - so perhaps I don't study languages I'm bound to fail in. ;-) Bit of a catch 22, there.

Perhaps some would see it as a form of cheating, but with some languages, I specifically set the bar quite low, because I have no intention of investing the time needed to reach fluency - too many fish in the linguistic sea to be fluent in all of them (at a C2 level, anyway - the whole "what is fluency" topic has been beaten to death so I won't bring it up here).

So, some of my languages are best friends who I intend on learning for life, and incorporating them into my day as much as I can, living in a basically monolingual area. Others are basically passing
acquaintances. Work through a course or two, read a bit here and there, and call it a day. I may return to them, I may not. By allowing myself to not shoot for fluency, I open up the option to
explore languages that I would otherwise avoid, because if I were to take them on with an extremely high level of proficiency as the goal, it would simply become too burdensome. Languages are a hobby,
not my life, and I don't have 12 hours a day to devote to mastering them. If I say "I'm going to take a look at Icelandic, but don't intend on being fluent, I just want to have a taste," it's doable and
fun - no pressure. If I say "I'm going to take on Icelandic, and aim for a C1 or C2 level," it changes into a much more daunting (and time intensive) task, one which I'm most likely going to avoid, due
to my plate already being mostly full.

As an aside, Solfrid, I, too, am struggling a great deal with Russian. The words have no stickiness for me. I throw them at my memory, and they slide right off, and fall promptly back into oblivion.

Edited by josht on 21 March 2014 at 2:20pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4462 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 91 of 96
23 March 2014 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
''The time taken to reach a high level of proficiency can vary depending on the language learned. In the case of native English speakers, some estimates were provided by the Foreign Service Institute (FSI) of the U.S. Department of State, which compiled approximate learning expectations for a number of languages for their professional staff (native English speakers who generally already know other languages). Of the 63 languages analyzed, the five most difficult languages to reach proficiency in speaking and reading, requiring 88 weeks (2200 class hours), are Arabic, Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese, and Korean. The Foreign Service Institute and the National Virtual Translation Center both note that Japanese is typically more difficult to learn than other languages in this group.''

Edited by Medulin on 23 March 2014 at 9:09pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

aabram
Pentaglot
Estonia
Joined 5327 days ago

138 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: Estonian*, English, Spanish, Russian, Finnish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 92 of 96
27 March 2014 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:
The writing system only takes a few years to get the hang of

Do you realise what you just said there? Only few years? For a writing system?
I highly recommend reading Hannas' "Asia's Orthographic Dilemma". Highly recommend.

Edited by aabram on 27 March 2014 at 10:09am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3826 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 93 of 96
27 March 2014 at 12:45pm | IP Logged 
I don't plan on writing essays on the regional variations of Baijiu,
I am content with reading a menu and writing small posts.
We have modern technology to give us an edge, we ought take advantage of it.
But I agree it is a problem for native speakers who are expected to function every day in the business world and
academic world using this 5,000 year old system.

Monox D. I-Fly
Indonesia
monoxdifly.iopc.us
Joined 4929 days ago

762 posts - 664 votes 
Speaks: Indonesian*

Message 94 of 96
10 April 2014 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Well, I like to learn any language. I write in a textbook dedicated to them. There are some which may be useful other than English, Indonesia (my national language), Javanese (my mother language), and Arabic (my religious language); such as Japanese, Chinese, Latin, and Greek. However, I also attempt to take note about Hieroglyphs which is unlikely will be useful in advance. I also write down Morse code and sign language as well as stenography. I even write down programming language such as HTML and C++. To take it up to eleven, my note also contains both cats' and dogs' language! I must be crazy, right?

Edited by Monox D. I-Fly on 10 April 2014 at 12:47pm

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4462 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 95 of 96
10 April 2014 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
You don't really ''fail'' in a language, unless you stop studying it.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4238 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 96 of 96
24 April 2014 at 4:41am | IP Logged 
Studying any language requires discipline. There are languages where you may not have much chance of
using it in everyday conversations but nonetheless the interest is there. I know a friend who studied
ancient Greek & some Hebrew not for the purpose of speaking these languages but to help him study
the Bible. He wanted to become a Protestant church minister and really enjoy these languages for the
sake of understanding the Bible in its original context. It's like somebody gets into ancient Egyptian or
the Mayan language because he / she likes archaeology or ancient cultures.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 96 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version