Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4327 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 113 of 123
09 August 2014 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
soclydeza85 wrote:

I actually fired up the Kindle earlier and found that the dictionaries I had on there (the free ones) do not allow for the on-the-go translations anyway. I just bought the PONS dictionary for $10 and tried it out and it works great. I'll definitely be reading much more due to this feature. I know you suggested this to me a while ago and it must've slipped my mind, but thanks a lot for reminding me of it; this should definitely fire up my learning!

Cool. I like the PONS a bit better than the Collins, but they are both good. You'll find that you are half-translating/half-reading at first, but if you stick with it you'll find your German really improving quite quickly.

Have you decided what you want to read first?

Edited by patrickwilken on 09 August 2014 at 10:53am

1 person has voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 114 of 123
11 August 2014 at 4:42am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Have you decided what you want to read first?

I started reading Die Dritte Hand. It's designed for learning and somewhat basic, but has a lot of unknown vocab and uses a lot of past tense, which I'm not too used to since my main focus has always been on speaking. I also have a few other books on there that aren't too difficult (I don't think) and they are originally written in German. I'll purchase Harry Potter for Kindle sometime soon.

DEUTSCH
Assimil - Just finished Lektion 85 and translated Lektion 34. All is going well.

Passive - I've gone over this before and knew it in general, but since I haven't seen it used too much in the materials I use (it actually just started popping up in Assimil) I figured I'd refresh myself. I'm definitely much clearer on it now.

Reading/Watching - I just started reading Die Dritte Hand and watched some shows recently. My listening was really good with the shows I was watching today; there was still a lot that I didn't know, but my mentality switched from "I'm learning German, so pay attention for what you know!" to feeling like I was very comfortable with what I was hearing, almost like I already understand the language, but didn't understand all the words used. It's hard to explain, but pretty encouraging.
============================================================ =========
2014 SUPER CHALLENGE (Deutsch)

FILME:
Heute - 90 Minuten
Total - 1932 Minuten
(2563 Minuten übrig für Half)

BÜCHER:
Heute - 5
Total - 23 Seiten
(2483 Seiten übrig für Half)

Edited by soclydeza85 on 11 August 2014 at 4:43am

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 115 of 123
13 August 2014 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
DEUTSCH
Assimil - Finished Lektion 86 and translated Lektion 36. I went over Lektion 87 but it is pretty tough so I'm going to go over it again tomorrow. I also popped a whole bunch of words from Assimil into Quizlet; I'm have about 240 words from Assimil now.

Prepositions - I went over more on prepositions. I know them well enough to understand them when I hear/read them, but my use of them is pretty shaky. It's tough to find anything that will allow me to practice them enough to mastery.
============================================================ ============

FILME:
Heute - 135 Minuten
Total - 2067 Minuten
(2428 Minuten übrig für Half)

BÜCHER:
Heute - 1 Seite
Total - 24 Seiten
(2483 Seiten übrig für Half)
The book/reader I'm reading just got quite a bit tougher in the new chapter, so I will go over it in a bit of depth.

Edited by soclydeza85 on 13 August 2014 at 4:03am

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 116 of 123
16 August 2014 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
@patrick wilken - I found a roundabout way to get the dictionary working on my tablet. I can now look up the words much more easily, it works great.

DEUTSCH
Assimil - Finished Lektion 89 earlier. Haven't done the translations in a few days. I've also been adding to/going over my vocab lists again.

Live Lesson - I read in front of meine Lehrerin and she helped me a lot with the words and further uses/concepts. It's funny, I felt like I was in elementary school again, reading for a teacher.

I messed around with Live Mocha earlier. I remember that site being awesome (I used to use it a few years ago for Italian and Mandarin) but now it seem like the whole social networking aspect of it has been completely stripped down; I'm not sure I like the new version so much.
============================================================ ========================
I watched some shows and finally started reading again.

FILME:
Heute - 135 Minuten
Total - 2202 Minuten
(2293 Minuten übrig für Half)

BÜCHER:
Heute - 8 Seite
Total - 32 Seiten
(2475 Seiten übrig für Half)

Edited by soclydeza85 on 16 August 2014 at 4:49am

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 117 of 123
30 August 2014 at 2:54am | IP Logged 
DEUTSCH
Assimil - I have completely finished the Assimil passive wave - all 100 lessons. I haven't done a translation since lesson 38, but I did that on purpose: I studied the passive lessons a bit more intensively (putting vocab into Quizlet, transcribing each lesson and excessively reading and listening to each, and shadowing a lot too.) During the remainder of the active wave, I will review each lesson (maybe in groups of 5 or so (listen, read, study vocab, etc.) and then do the translation. I'm doing this because I do plan on doing a 3rd wave/2nd active wave in which I will strictly be doing only the translations (at a later time).

Hugo - I started with Hugo again. I did the pre-assessment in the advanced book to make note of my weak points (still with prepositional usage and a couple of other things) which I will review in the "in 3 months" book before fully moving on to the advanced book.
============================================================ ===
BIG CHANGE COMING, NEW STUDY PLAN
I resume classes again in less than a week. The past nine months I had all the time I wanted (outside of work) to study, since I had a semester off, but now my available time will be cut down drastically. But I will still put time aside to study German on top of everything else as my goal is to take the B2 exam next summer, and ultimately to become proficient in the language (as well as the fact that I really enjoy the language).

Listening - I will have a lot of idle time (driving, walking, riding the bus) and I will devote much of this time to listening. Material used may be anything from podcasts, to relistening to Assimil lessons, to vocab lists, to Slow German from DW, etc.

Hugo Advanced - This book recommends studying 10 hours per chapter, which I will try to actually hold up to. It's not a big book (only 10 lessons), so I figure this will allow me to finish and master it by Christmas time.

Assimil active wave - I will re-study the chapters in chunks and eventually do the translations, as stated above. I probably won't be able to translate one lesson per day, but if I can do 3-4 per week I'll be happy.

Native Materials (reading/watching) - this will be more here and there. I can watch some shows some nights when I'm relaxing and I'll have my tablet with me at school so I can do some reading in the downtime between classes.

I am also in a situation where I may be switching jobs, or working two, on top of school. This will definitely eat away at my extra time (or give me more time, depending on how things roll out). I figure if I can do intensive studying (from the book) about 5 hours a week and use my commuting time for listening (5+ hours per week), I'll be in good shape.
============== ============================================================ ===
I watched some episodes since my last post but I'm not exactly sure how many. I know it was at least 4, so I'm counting 4 45min episodes. I did some reading too, I think maybe 4 pages (maybe more, but I'll keep it at 4).

FILME:
Heute - 180 Minuten
Total - 2382 Minuten
(2112 Minuten übrig für Half)

BÜCHER:
Heute - 4 Seite
Total - 36 Seiten
(2439 Seiten übrig für Half)

Edited by soclydeza85 on 30 August 2014 at 2:58am

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 118 of 123
06 September 2014 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
Things are starting to get a bit hectic. Classes will be taking a lot of my time and starting next week I will be going between 2 jobs. I'm still able to get some German in here and there - mostly reading and some grammar. I will be in my car a lot so I would like something to use while driving; too bad I have already finished Pimsleur, that would come in great right now. I also will probably have to suspend my live lessons for a while.

DEUTSCH
Hugo - Still working on lesson one. I've put in about 4 hours so far; I was keeping track of it but it's so sporadic that I think it is best to just keep going over each lesson until I have mastered the material. For some reason, I have a hard time getting the vocab from Hugo to stick. I may be getting the audio for it soon and that will be a great help since I can listen during idle time.

FSI - I did some of the drills from 2.2 today. I will try to keep this more regular (each tape is only 20-30 mins at a time).

I bought a copy of Essential Grammar from TeachYourself. It looks really good, like I can use it both as a reference book and as a lesson book.

============================================================ ======

FILME:
Heute - 40 Minuten
Total - 2422 Minuten
(2092 Minuten übrig für Half)

BÜCHER:
Heute - 0 Seite
Total - 36 Seiten
(2439 Seiten übrig für Half)

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 119 of 123
15 September 2014 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
Though I've been really busy lately, I've managed to not only keep working on my German, but to get back on French again as well. I use my driving time for French and any idle time for German (including my walks too) since I need a combination of listening and reading.

DEUTSCH
Hugo Advanced - I'm still working on lesson one, trying to follow their 10 hour instruction and really master each lesson. I was able to obtain the audio so I can now listen to the exercises and I treat the dialogues in a similar fashion as Assimil.

Assimil Phase II - I just took a short break, but before the end of the night I will translate lesson 41. I'll usually listen/shadow each lesson a bit in advance while in the car or walking, which has made the translations run a bit more smoothly.

I've also been listening to Slow German so that I can get some random/unrehearsed listening and it's been going pretty well
============================================================ ====
FRANÇAIS
I've started up with French again and I'm really enjoying it. I'm only doing pure audio at this point during my commutes. I've been using Paul Noble and this is a great program; it should get me prepped for when I go back to Assimil, which I plan on starting once my schedule simmers down (I will eventually be dropping one of my jobs, which will open up more time).

Paul Noble - I believe I am on the 5th CD (track 8) and it is going very well, I really like the style of this program.

Paul Noble seems to be going pretty quick; I think there is only maybe 12 CDs or so, which I am nearly halfway through and I've only been listening for about a week. Afterward, I will start with Pimsleur again (I think I left off around lesson 7 or 8). I'm excited to start getting into watching movies and such, since there are so many for French.
============================================================ =
SUPER CHALLENGE 2014
I haven't done anything since last time.

Edited by soclydeza85 on 15 September 2014 at 12:53am

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 120 of 123
07 October 2014 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Between studying for classes and working, my language studying has taken a massive hit. I'm still trying to keep things moving, but things have come to a creeping slow.

DEUTSCH
My German has taken the biggest hit, since I'm at a level that I really need full interaction to practice/study (I've graduated beyond all audio-only material). Plus it's hard for me to study when I don't have consistency. Since the only real time I have to practice is while driving, I've started redoing Pimsleur IV, which is somewhat beneficial because A) it has me speaking and listening and B) just because I finished the course doesn't mean I've mastered the vocab; I've found that I've already forgotten some of the vocab from it.

I'm also thinking of starting an Audible membership, in which I'll have access to things like childrens audiobooks and such.

I also listen to German radio (news) on my phone at work or on the bus to work on comprehension.

Once I get a good routine with classes going and find that I can spare a least an hour each day, I already have a list of goals/schedule for me to finish Assimil and DW Warum Nicht (4).
FRANÇAIS
This hasn't been effected much at all since I'm able to do Pimsleur in my car (I finished Paul Noble) and I wasn't planning on going deep with it just yet anyway. Things are moving steady though and I'm beginning to feel comfortable with French; I know I won't just quit this one half way. Once things open up a bit, I will begin Assimil.

Pimsleur I - Completed lesson 14 today. I'm doing about 4-6 lessons per week, so at this rate I should be well into level 3 by Christmas.
SUPER CHALLENGE 2014
I've done a lot of listening to German News and minimal reading (sometimes I try to read things on facebook, but nothing substantial) but nothing I can count toward the challenge.

This discussion contains 123 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version