soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 49 of 123
30 May 2014 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
Heute war ein sehr productiver Tag; ich habe viel gemacht.

DEUTSCH
MT - Kein MT heute. Keine Arbeit heute, so keines Arbeitpendeln.

Hugo - Ich hatte Woche 10 fast fertig. Ich lernte über "Perfekt" und "Imperfekt", davon viel klären ist.

Assimil - Ich habe fetig "Wiederholung und Erklärungen" von den Lektionen 56 und 7.

Die Dritte Hand - Ich las ein Kapitel. Es ist ein bißchen schwieriger als "Cafe in Berlin" aber nicht zu schlecht.

Tatort - Ich sah eine Folge. Ich mag diese Schau, ich kann viel verstehen.

Hugo Advanced hat heute angekommen und es sieht sehr gut an.

============================================================ =============
2014 SUPER CHALLENGE

FILME:
Heute - 88 Minuten
Total - 366 Minuten
(4129 Minuten übrig für Half)

BÜCHER:
Heute - 1 Seite
Total - 14 Seiten
(2495 Seiten übrig für Half)

Edited by soclydeza85 on 30 May 2014 at 2:27am

1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4327 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 50 of 123
30 May 2014 at 9:04am | IP Logged 
soclydeza85 wrote:

Tatort - Ich sah eine Folge. Ich mag diese Schau, ich kann viel verstehen.

That's impressive. :)

I have a lot of trouble with Tatort. The difficulty varies alot depending on the city that it's filmed in. It's a real cult show here in Germany. There are something like 50 bars in Berlin that show it live on Sunday evenings.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lassus
Hexaglot
(formerly Josquin)
Germany
Joined 3641 days ago

36 posts - 67 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Italian, Swedish, Latin
Studies: Russian, Irish, Japanese

Message 51 of 123
30 May 2014 at 11:57am | IP Logged 
soclydeza85 wrote:
Heute war ein sehr produktiver Tag; ich habe viel gemacht.

DEUTSCH
MT - Kein MT heute. Keine Arbeit heute, also auch kein Pendeln zur Arbeit.

Hugo - Ich hatte Woche 10 fast fertig. Ich habe "Perfekt" und "Imperfekt" gelernt, davon viel klären ist (I don't understand this clause).

Assimil - Ich habe die "Wiederholung und Erklärungen" von Lektion 56 und 57 fertig.

Die Dritte Hand - Ich habe ein Kapitel gelesen. Es ist ein bisschen schwieriger als "Café in Berlin", aber nicht zu schwer.

Tatort - Ich habe eine Folge gesehen. Ich mag diese Sendung, ich kann viel verstehen.

Hugo Advanced ist heute angekommen und es sieht sehr gut aus.

The normal tense for reporting past events in German is the "Perfekt". Using the "Präteritum" sounds very stilted and formal.

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 52 of 123
30 May 2014 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
@ patrickwilkin - Thanks! I by no means was able to understand everything, but I was able to follow the story in general and tell where the next scene was going to be based on what they were saying. It was definitely a confidence booster. I bet I got lucky and caught one of the episodes in more of a Hochdeutsch-speaking region, because I've also heard that it can be a difficult show to follow at times.

@ Lassus - Thanks for the corrections! So let me get this straight (because I had some confusion about this): I use Perfekt in speaking and writing when it's in the sense of reporting information (or if I'm writing to someone in the way I would talk to them), but I use Imperfekt for more of a literary context?

Lassus
Hexaglot
(formerly Josquin)
Germany
Joined 3641 days ago

36 posts - 67 votes 

Message 53 of 123
30 May 2014 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
I can't give you any rules when to use Perfekt and Präteritum, because I'm a native speaker and do it intuitively. However, in German the Perfekt is much more common than the present perfect is in English. Mostly, when talking about past activities, it's better to use Perfekt. Präteritum is mainly used when telling stories or, as you say, in literature.

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 54 of 123
30 May 2014 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
Lassus wrote:
I can't give you any rules when to use Perfekt and Präteritum, because I'm a native speaker and do it intuitively. However, in German the Perfekt is much more common than the present perfect is in English. Mostly, when talking about past activities, it's better to use Perfekt. Präteritum is mainly used when telling stories or, as you say, in literature.

Okay that makes perfect sense. I think I was confused because it is kind of the opposite in English. "I saw the man" sound a little bit more loose and conversational, while "I had seen the man" sounds a bit more formal and literary, at least to me.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4327 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 55 of 123
30 May 2014 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
soclydeza85 wrote:

Okay that makes perfect sense. I think I was confused because it is kind of the opposite in English. "I saw the man" sound a little bit more loose and conversational, while "I had seen the man" sounds a bit more formal and literary, at least to me.

I think once you access more native materials this will all be pretty obvious.

You'll certainly see "Ich sah der Mann" in print a lot - though it seems to vary from author to author a bit.

Lassus
Hexaglot
(formerly Josquin)
Germany
Joined 3641 days ago

36 posts - 67 votes 

Message 56 of 123
30 May 2014 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
You'll certainly see "Ich sah der Mann" in print a lot - though it seems to vary from author to author a bit.

You'll never see "Ich sah der Mann". You meant to say "Ich sah den Mann". Mind the accusative!

This discussion contains 123 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version