soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 9 of 123
26 March 2014 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
My bad, I was reading some ideas on where to go after Assimil on another site before I saw your post so the idea of starting Hugo after Assimil kind of weezled its way into my reply even though you never said it haha. After looking at Hugo again I think it'd be a good idea to get it soon and use it alongside Assimil; I'd probably receive it by the time I'm around lesson 29 anyway.

I use a variety of sources for grammar. I usually use The Everyday Learning German Book for kind of a brief intro/overview of a topic, German Grammar Drills and Schaum's German Grammar to practice and/or see it from another perspective. I also have Hammer's German Grammar and Usage but it's in pdf format and I hate reading books from a computer screen so I really only refer to it for certain things. Other than that, sometimes I just google a topic or see if someone made a video about it on youtube.
1 person has voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 10 of 123
26 March 2014 at 2:04am | IP Logged 
Gemuse - I just ordered the book from Amazon. It was a heck of a lot cheaper without the CD's so I got just the book; I figure I have enough audio between Assimil, Pimsleur, MT and podcasts. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm excited to start using it.

====================
Pimsleur III - Completed lesson 5 (twice)

Assimil - Completed lesson 18. I decided to add to my regimen (on top of everything else I've added) and translate the current lesson once after I'm finished with it and once again later in the day. By the time I'm finished with this I'll have translated each lesson at least three times, my goal is to master everything in this program.

Rosetta Stone - None today

Reader - None today

Quizlet/Vocab - Went over old words and went through a list of new words. When I first started these lists I though I'd start to get confused once I built up a long list of words but I've found that (as long as I memorize them properly) it gets easier and easier to memorize new words.

I ordered the Hugo German in Three Months book (thanks to Gemuse's suggestion). I'm really excited to start using it once it comes in.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3876 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 11 of 123
26 March 2014 at 8:47am | IP Logged 
Good that you got the book soclydeza85, hope you like it.
I find that all the German words and constructs/phrases it uses, you really need to
know all of them. I really like it. And as you said, its very inexpensive.
2 persons have voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 12 of 123
07 April 2014 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
Good that you got the book soclydeza85, hope you like it.
I find that all the German words and constructs/phrases it uses, you really need to
know all of them. I really like it. And as you said, its very inexpensive.

I've been working with it for a little over a week now and it's a great addition. I also ordered Hugo French in 3 Months, since I want to start learning some French on the side.

============================================================ ===============
I haven't posted in a bit but I've still been studying every day.

Pimsleur III - I finished up to lesson 15, I'm going to go for a walk and do 16 tonight.

Assimil - I finished lesson 27 earlier today. I was starting to feel pretty shaky (losing confidence) with the previous few lessons; they seemed tougher than usual, but maybe it was because I did them later at night so I was tired. Today went very well though, I pretty much knew what the story was about on the first listen.

RS - Haven't done any RS lately, I'm trying not to overwhelm myself with programs

Vocab - I added around 50 new words earlier, I already memorized 36. I've added a lot since my last post - I'm not sure how many, I'll venture to say maybe 60-80?

Reader - I haven't done my reader in the past week. With all these different methods/programs, I'm finding it tough because it adds so much new vocab. I will start the reader again soon, maybe tonight.

I started adding new goals:
-At least 10 new vocab words every day (between Hugo and Assimil alone it will be more like 15-20.
-At least 5 phrases/saying each day
-One week (chapter) of Hugo every 3 days. Once it starts to get deeper I will probably lengthen the amount of time.

This is on top of my daily Assimil and Hugo practices. I also did some research on finding a local language tutor; I feel that this is vital and I should've done this a long time ago.

============================================================ =
I'll be starting French soon, I have a few materials on the way (Hugo and Assimil). I'm not going to let it overshadow my German but I really do want to dig into it, so hopefully I won't have a problem balancing the two.

Edited by soclydeza85 on 07 April 2014 at 12:38am

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 13 of 123
07 April 2014 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
I forgot to mention: I decided to participate in the April Challenge.

-150 new words
-RS L2 finished
-Pimsleur III finished
-10 expressions/sayings/idioms memorized
-2 articles translated
-At least 30 Assimil

The 150 vocab words will be a breeze. Pimsleur will definitely get done and I definitely set my sights low with the 10 expressions, I already have 5. I don't know about finished RS L2 though, or the 30 Assimil lessons, I've so far only completed 3 since the first. I can double up the review lessons with the following ones, making it possible to do 30 by the end of the month (I won't do more than one regular lesson a day), but there are some days I just don't have the time to do it. We'll see.

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 14 of 123
09 April 2014 at 4:01am | IP Logged 
Pimsleur III - Finished lesson 18

Assimil - Finished lesson 29, translated lesson 15. I'm changing my strategy on this since they are getting tougher:
-Listen through 2-3 times and notice any unknown vocab.
-Glance through the German part, write down every unknown word and find definitions.
-For each word, listen to the dialogue (without looking at text) and notice the word and how it's used. Do this for every word that is unknown.
-Listen again 2-3 times to put everything together.

I only really look at the English to clarify or if I don't understand what a sentence means, otherwise I try to minimize looking at it.

Vocab - Since my last post, I've added maybe 30-40 (maybe 50) new words to Quizlet and have been drilling them.

I recently found a private German tutor and am very excited to start, this should help bring me to the next level.

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 15 of 123
23 April 2014 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
It's been a while since my last log (I couldn't access the forum) but I have been studying.

GERMAN
Pimsleur III - Up to level 26. I still have the advanced level to go through for this, but I wish there was more. This is definitely the best (at least for me) for speaking, beside actually speaking with somebody.

Assimil - Up to level 38. Doing well, I had to tone down my routine a bit since my previous routine for Assimil was a bit overwhelming (over an hour). They now last about 30+ minutes. I'll save the deep study for the active phase.

Hugo - I'm in week (chapter) 7. This is a great little book, I'm really enjoying it.

Lesson - I started taking lessons, just did my 2nd today. These will definitely boost my learning, I'm already getting a great deal of conversation practice in, as well as clarification and general information about Germany and the language. Starting next week I will be posting a summary of each weekly lesson for my own reference and for any onlookers that might be interested.

============================================================ ===================
FRENCH
I started French. I'm really enjoying it but it really does take up a lot of time between the two languages. My main French-learning-trifecta consist of Pimsleur, Hugo French and Assimil. I also have quite a few other resources to draw upon, but these will be my main.

Pimsleur I - Up to lesson 6. I'm doing well so far, but I forgot about the intro phase to learning a new language (where you can get lost VERY easily).

Hugo - I'm into week (chapter) 2. All is well.

Assimil - This book is just waiting for me to dig into it but I am going to wait until May before I start using it. I want to get at least a general feel for the language before I start.

I'm trying to find a good balance where I definitely get my French studying in (at least 30 mins a day) without overshadowing my German

Edited by soclydeza85 on 23 April 2014 at 3:21am

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3876 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 16 of 123
23 April 2014 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
Wow, you are making rapid progress. How much time do you spend on Learning German each
day?

I am also glad that you are enjoying Hugo German.

Be warned however that it will start getting way too terse from chapter 8 on. Chapter 8
is ok-ish, it has some great insights, but I felt the chapter needed more space. And
chapter 9 onwards is just way too cramped.

The XXL glossar by comparison is very relaxed, and spends time on each concept (but then
it only has 10% of the material of Hugo).

Edited by Gemuse on 23 April 2014 at 6:42am

This discussion contains 123 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version