United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, French

Message 25 of 123
08 May 2014 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
GERMAN
Pimsleur Plus - Finished lesson 2 yesterday, I might go for a walk and do lesson 3 today

Hugo - I spent a lot of time on wk 9 today, there's a lot of content in that chapter but I learned a lot from it. I only have the final vocab list and dialogue to go through then I'm done. I should have it done tomorrow.

Assimil - I just finished lesson 46. I won't lie, I felt a bit shaky with it but I have to remember that I'm still in the passive phase and I'm not supposed to have each lesson entirely mastered.

I'm full force with German again, but I'm going to but French on the back burner for now. I will resume soon though.

1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4327 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 26 of 123
09 May 2014 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
Just stumbled upon your log, and must say I am impressed by all the hard work you have done to learn German.

Are you thinking of taking part in the Super Challenge?
2 persons have voted this message useful

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 27 of 123
10 May 2014 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Just stumbled upon your log, and must say I am impressed by all the hard work you have done to learn German.

Thanks for the praise and the suggestion! I just posted some questions in the discussion thread; as long as my plan is allowed, then yes I am definitely interested.

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 28 of 123
10 May 2014 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
GERMAN
Pimsleur Plus - Finished lesson 3 today

Hugo - Finished week 9. I will put the wk 10 vocab into Quizlet over the weekend and start the chapter on Monday.

Assimil - Just finished lesson 47. With the second (active) wave coming up, I'm thinking of a strategy for it. I'm thinking I'll quickly peruse through the upcoming lessons and pop any unknown vocab into Quizlet and do a quick study beforehand so I can do the translations smoothly (while also retaining the vocab). I'm trying to get the most out of Assimil without burning myself out on it, hopefully it will only take 45-60 mins per lesson.

I have 4 weeks (chapters) left in Hugo, my goal is to have it finished by my vacation in June. I just ordered Hugo German Advanced; it's shipping from the UK so hopefully it'll be here before I finish the first one (I don't know how long international shipping takes these days).

With the first Hugo almost done and almost half of Assimil finished, I have pretty good momentum going, though I still have so far to go. I start classes again in the Fall, so my language study will have to slow down drastically (I had this semester off which is why I had so much time), though I am excited to enroll in a German class and maybe even take on German as a minor. My goal by then is to get to a solid B1 or further (though I don't know if that's possible).

I'm really hoping to go to Germany next summer. I was looking up prices and such the other day and got really excited. Step 1: Save the money. Step 2: Convince my fiance to go

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4327 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 29 of 123
10 May 2014 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
soclydeza85 wrote:
patrickwilken wrote:

Thanks for the praise and the suggestion! I just posted some questions in the discussion thread; as long as my plan is allowed, then yes I am definitely interested.

Either I can highly recommend getting into native materials (books/shows) as much as you can as early as you can. It really helps you learn both grammar and vocabulary in a very natural way.

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 30 of 123
14 May 2014 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Either I can highly recommend getting into native materials (books/shows) as much as you can as early as you can. It really helps you learn both grammar and vocabulary in a very natural way.

I do watch movies and shows whenever I can. I go on native German websites and look at articles and comments. I don't have any (true) native reading materials yet, but I'll start on them once I finish all of my readers and Assimil.

Also, I will start the challenge at the end of this week.

============================================================ =======
GERMAN
I've been pretty slow with my language learning the past few days (been really busy) but I still have been putting my time in.

Pimsleur Plus - Just finished lesson 6 today.

Hugo - I haven't started week 10 yet but I've made all of my vocab lists for it in Quizlet and have went over the first 1/3 of the vocab a few times. I plan on starting the actual chapter tomorrow at work (it's going to be a long day).

Assimil - Haven't done Assimil in a couple of days and doubt I'll have time tonight (or tomorrow), but I've gotten up to lesson 48

Live Lesson - Had a good lesson today. As usual, I learned a lot about Germany in German. I'm starting to become very confident and more automatic with my speaking, but I end up getting TOO confident and end up starting a sentence or thought, then stopping to think about it and realizing I'm not exactly sure how to finish it haha. But so far, the live lessons and interaction with natives within the past couple of months have accelerated my learning/ability greatly.

============================================================ ======
2014 Challenge

I haven't officially signed up but I do plan on joining. I will have to do the Half version though since we are already pretty far into the year. I'll post more about it toward the end of the week.

Edited by soclydeza85 on 14 May 2014 at 2:33am

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4327 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 31 of 123
14 May 2014 at 9:37am | IP Logged 
soclydeza85 wrote:

2014 Challenge

I haven't officially signed up but I do plan on joining. I will have to do the Half version though since we are already pretty far into the year. I'll post more about it toward the end of the week.

The SC only started 1 May 2014 and goes until 31 December 2015 so you still have time to do a full challenge - or I'd even recommend a double!

soclydeza85
United States
Joined 3701 days ago

357 posts - 502 votes 

Message 32 of 123
16 May 2014 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
Thanks Pat, I just signed up! I'm going to do the half for now and see how it's going after a couple of weeks and maybe move it to full.

GERMAN
Pimsleur Plus - I made a mistake on my last post, I meant lesson 5 then. Today I just finished lesson 6 and felt pretty good about it.

Hugo - I've gone over the first 1/3 of the vocab numerous times over the past few days (I had a hard time with it for some reason) and just got done with maybe the first 1/4 of week 10. It basically covered (so far) the genitive case (which is more of a review) and more use on separable prefixes. The terminology in this book is weird. They use "possessor case" instead of "genitive case" and "type II verbs" instead of "separable" (as well as other weird quirks). It's not a problem, it's just weird that their terminology is not uniform with every other grammar book. Also, I recently realized that they have short stories in the back of the book that are graded by weeks to practice reading, so I read a couple of these.

Assimil - I just finished lesson 48. I started a new approach to these lessons, which I will discuss below with my new Assimil study layout.

============================================================ ====================
NEW ASSIMIL PLAN
My previous Assimil plan started to get all over the place and I wasn't feeling like I was walking away from the lesson with much to work with. I kind of adapted someone else's plan (from another site) and added to it. They will definitely be longer, but I tried it today and I feel like I got a lot more out of the lesson.

PASSIVE PHASE
1) Listen 10+ times (no text)
2) Listen + Reading 5+ times
3) Go over translation and notes, make notes on vocab, do exercises
4) Listen and Read 5+ more times
5) Reading out loud 5+ times, trying to speak smoothly as if I was reading to somebody
6) Shadow 10+ times

ACTIVE PHASE (Starting soon)
1) Quickly peruse through each lesson a day in advance and put any unknown/forgotten vocab into Quizlet
2) Study vocab in advance (should be easy, short lists)
3) Written translation
4) Compare with native text, rewrite problem sentences

============================================================ ====================
2014 SUPER CHALLENGE

I just signed up, doing the Half challenge for now, possibly moving to full if I feel like I can do more.

The half challenge consists of:
-50 Films (90 mins each) - Totaling 4500 minutes
-50 Books (50 pages each) - totaling 2500 pages

I will count both movies and shows that I watch by the minutes as I go along to reach 4500 mins.

I will count each Assimil lesson as 1 page and each short story as a 1/2 page (unless it is long enough). This will include anything from my readers and articles, since I'm not at the capacity to read full books yet.

I hope this is okay; I posted this as a question on the discussion thread and it seems to have been overlooked, but I want to get started.

I won't count anything that I've done prior to today.

FILMS:
Today - 45
Total - 45 mins
(I may watch something later, if I do I'll update this post)
EDIT: I watched "Das Beste Kommt Erst" auf ZDF for 45 mins

BOOKS:
Today - Assimil = 1, 2*ShortStory = 1
Total - 2 pages

Edited by soclydeza85 on 16 May 2014 at 3:21am

This discussion contains 123 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version