United States
Joined 3827 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 121 of 134
28 May 2014 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Okay....I still also feel annoyed my Europeanstrawnmenhalfwits choose to learn Japanese instead of Chinese.

Edited by Stolan on 28 May 2014 at 6:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 122 of 134
28 May 2014 at 6:49pm | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:
tristano wrote:
....that who gives up learning it is "stupid" (same
people that haven't
have any problem learning English, that doesn't match your perspective of Mandarin as
easier language to learn).....

That reminds me how perceived beliefs influence how a person experiences things.
Imagine this situation,
we have a man who smokes 20 cigarettes a day yet he is adamantly against
marijuana/liquor/whatever.
He is handed a cigarette with a tiny tiny bit of amaretto/hash/whatevever and smoke its
then smokes his other
cigarettes later that day. He then is told a week later what happened, he drops over
dead since his brain is so
convinced that marijuana/alcohol/whatever is bad for him that he stupidly dies that
very second. Yet he never
admitted to all the health problems his pack a day habit cost him.

Idiots think English is "the easiest, nothing can possible be easier" for being
uninflecting (It is the easiest Germanic
language and "easy-ish", but not the absolute bottom scraping flagship of all languages
in the whole entire world)
yet a genderless language with no irregularities, only 5 vowels and 15 consonants with
no clusters, no wh-fronting
or word order movement rules, no adjective irregular comparison forms, and a lack of
constructions as everything is
done through regular inflection with barely any phonological changes would be harder
for them than English just
because there are fewer spaces between words.

Hi understand your opinion, but still there is a thing that doesn't convince me.
You say
- idiots consider English the easiest language of them all because of the simple
grammar
- but mandarin's grammar is even easier
- so that makes mandarin the easiest language in the world

that grammar-wise can even be true, I guess it is the least difficult major language on
a grammar perspective.
But the writing system is crazy (beautiful, fascinating, but still a problem even for
natives), the pronunciation really difficult for who doesn't come from a tonal
language. Both this aspects are overcomeable with thousands of hours of study and
effort and sincere motivations, but still makes me think that it's not that easy.

I want to learn Mandarin, but the motivation is definitely not because of the
presumable easy grammar.

On a side note, I think Japanese is more popular because of the easier pronunciation.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3827 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 

Message 123 of 134
28 May 2014 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
I never said Mandarin is the easiest languages in the world, but I made a point that it is ironic how English is viewed
yet Mandarin is unscathed. I also pointed out how ridiculous it is that Mandarin is often listed as "one of the hardest
languages in the world" when it has undergone great simplification compared to numerous other dialects which
retain conservative grammatical and phonological features such as larger consonant inventories, tonal sandhi,
numerous negative adverbs, measure words, and modal particles. Mandarin is at the same level as English and
Spanish like I said, not Russian.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 124 of 134
28 May 2014 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
Grammatically yes, but most Europeans can learn to understand, pronounce and write Russian faster than Mandarin. I'm not speaking of perfection, learning any language to perfection is hard. Even English ;)

As for Japanese, I think the popularity is more due to the (modern) culture. Things like anime and music.

Edited by Serpent on 28 May 2014 at 8:58pm

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4085 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 125 of 134
28 May 2014 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
I had a conversation with an old friend with whom I went to primary and secondary
school, and we learnt Spanish together. Now he learns Russian and Arabic, but added
French to his list this week, saying that French is the hardest language of all four to
pronounce and understand, despite the ease in reading it from Spanish and English due
to the ridiculous amount of Romance vocabulary and cognates of the latter.

We discussed for literally over one hour about the pronunciation of œuf and
œufs, the former being completely unpredictable, and the latter being not only
completely unpredictable, but almost as if it went beyond the limit towards trying to
confuse anyone who reads that word. We tried to find some sort of logic, but failed. I
remember in school I told him, half-jokingly, that if we ever learnt French that we
should just save frustration by pronouncing French phonetically, i.e. with the Spanish
or Italian alphabet. At times, it seems like that could have been serious.

I am someone who, due to being a native Anglophone, come from no background with a
tonal language, and honestly Mandarin and its tones are not as difficult as one
purports. I wonder if those who consider Mandarin and its tones to be difficult to try
to learn Fukien, which has
eight tones
. Not only spoken in the PRC, but this is what one would most often
hear from Chinese who live in Singapore, Malaya, Indonesia, the Philippines, and
Taiwan.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 28 May 2014 at 9:01pm

Stolan
United States
Joined 3827 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 

Message 126 of 134
28 May 2014 at 9:24pm | IP Logged 
To serpent
Why the heck do you think tones are more difficult than other phonological difficulties to begin with?
A writing system is a man made feature, leave it out of linguistics.
Mandarin is Indonesian with 4 tones really, both suffered as a lingua Franca with constant disruption
combined with the fact that east Asia favors dangerously low complexity in derivation and grammar.
( the process is reversing in chinese dialects)
That whole area has something weird going on anyway (the languages, the people are fantastic)

The Mandarin language has only 1700 permitted syllables (including tones)
English has potentially 42,000 based on what is permitted for one syllable, this also means more processes occur on
a overall such as restrictions between open and closed syllables and the usual stuff.

eyðimörk wrote:
I take it you've lived and travelled far more extensively in Europe than in America, Stolan, since
you keep referring to how Europeans (as a unified group no less) do this and how Europeans think that, and how
Europeans will react in such-and-such situation, rather than considering, say, how it would force the people you live
amongst would be forced out of their comfort zone in the same situation.

It's just a sad sight that Japanese is more popular than Chinese even in the US. Mandarin will never become popular
simply because too many people has misconceptions about it and not the inherent properties it has.

You can South Americans to Europeans, they tend to have misconceptions as well. Americans, I don't care, their
ignorance is like a chihuahua barking at me, I am indifferent because they are just that way, and it isn't out of
smugness or mockery but naivety.

Edited by Stolan on 29 May 2014 at 2:32am

Stolan
United States
Joined 3827 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 

Message 127 of 134
28 May 2014 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Edit double post

Edited by Stolan on 28 May 2014 at 9:51pm

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4925 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 128 of 134
29 May 2014 at 3:19am | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:

You can South Americans to Europeans, they tend to have misconceptions as well.
Americans, I don't care, their ignorance is like a chihuahua barking at me, I am
indifferent because they are just that way, and it isn't out of smugness or mockery but
naivety.

I wonder if you're capable of making your point without offending the western
hemisphere.

Also, you have English listed as your native language. Is that indeed the case? I have
my doubts.

R.
==

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version