Brazil
Joined 3639 days ago

9 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, French, Italian

Message 49 of 134
21 May 2014 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
Dragon27 wrote:
Gustavo Russi
"t" at the end of the "internet" (and other words) may not be "released". That is, it is pronounced, but not
finished, the tongue is held at the alveoli, so this "t" is barely heard. Is that what you meant?

exactally. i just didnt know how to properly express myself :(
1 person has voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5003 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 50 of 134
21 May 2014 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Regarding Italian, while Medulin's points are very valid I'd say they're pretty minor issues overall. Many people don't pronounce it in the "standard" way... so what, and things like open versus closed Es hardly impede understanding. I suppose that as a native English speaker, and one with a regional accent that's quite different from RP, the idea of so many local variations is hardly unusual to me, and if anything they make the language more charming and interesting. It's fun to guess where in Italy people are from based on their accent. Especially considering many Italians have only been speaking Italian as a first language for a few generations and Italy's only been a unified country for a century and a half, a lack of standardisation is not surprising.

If you think Italians are bad at writing their own language, then all I can say is don't try French... I found the fact that many Italians can at least write their language mostly correctly to be quite a big relief after French and even English.

Italian is more difficult than it first appears though. Already having a decent knowledge of French, I picked up the basics pretty quickly, but I was wrong to think that my progress would keep going at that rate. There is a lot of subtlety and flexibility with usage and word order that can be quite hard to master when you're used to a more rigid and standardised language like French; I've mentioned some of these points in my log, and a recent thread on Italian questions highlights a few. It does mean that you can get a lot of leeway in terms of being understood, but also that speaking "correctly" is trickier.

I've seen that French keeps coming up on this thread. I've met tons of French learners but extremely few who speak it very well, even after years in France, while people who speak excellent Spanish or Italian as a second language don't seem too rare. People always seem to really struggle with at least one aspect; for me it's pronunciation, for others it might be grammar or listening comprehension.
6 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4086 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 51 of 134
21 May 2014 at 11:09pm | IP Logged 
I must say that I am extremely surprised to see English so often listed. I continue to
hear, and have heard, especially from international classmates, and people from
Northern Europe, that English so easy that all they had to do to get to a high level
was play video games, watch British or American television, watch British or American
films, or navigate the Internet, or any combination thereof, which guaranteed instant
C1/C2. I know that English is extremely simplified and has no cases, noun gender, low
amount of conjugation, low distiction for detail (i.e. not many use
(t)here/(t)hither/(t)hence so that one can use a wrong word and still not be wrong,
etc., so I wonder what the real opinion is. I had friends who said that English was
just ridiculously easy that playing World of Warcraft or watching David Attenborough
and Coronation Street whilst reading Wikipedia articles sufficed to achieve at least
C1, since English surrounds society but that we Anglophones particularly cannot do this
because of their attitude and aptitude towards languages. So it seems like two
extremes: those who have severe problems and those who find that it is the easiest
language in the world.

Regarding French, the grammar I find fairly straightforward and simplified, almost as
if it in some manner tried to simplify itself like Modern English, although definitely
not to such an extreme, with its lower usage of the imparfait du subjonctif, 2ème
conditionnel, passé simple, amongst other factors. It seems strange to say, "He has
been born in 1872", «Il a été né en 1872» instead of just «Il naquit en 1872».

However,the pronunciation is a serious
pickle. I remember at first how each time I tried to repeat a nasal sound in French,
like the passé simple form «vînt», my mouth produced something different each time,
because my nose had problems coordinating with my mouth for nasal sounds. That and how
nasal sounds seem to "disappear" like an echo losing sound in a cave.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 21 May 2014 at 11:15pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Donaldshimoda
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 3886 days ago

47 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 52 of 134
22 May 2014 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:

People with accents are really tough to understand because the minimal variation change
completely the meaning of the word...

same here..I almost have no problems understanding the weirdest U.S. slang but when it comes to British
accents I'm kinda lost to the point it seems to me as they were different languages..

Donaldshimoda
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 3886 days ago

47 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 53 of 134
22 May 2014 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:

1 words like perché and ventitré which Northerners pronounce differently and write incorrectly perchè,
ventitrè etc...90% of Italians use open and close O and E (ò vs ó, è vs é)
2 but in Italian, you say VADO A FRANCIA, but VADO IN ROMA, that's extremely difficult, since you have to
memorize prepositions along with the noun).
3 Too many regional preferences (affecting not only pronunciation perché/perchè, ragno [rañño/ra:ño], zio
[tsio, dzio], but syntax too [Hai capito? vs Capisti?] and vocabulary (cocomero vs anguria).
4many times they write perchè, ventitrè or perche', ventitre' instead of perché, ventitré...It may be better if they
studied punctuation more at school instead of venturing into old literature (like Dante or Petrarca).

1&4 in handwriting is enough to put the accent, we don't really care which one you write..It is not considered a
mistake..I don't even know if they teach this stuff in school..so it really makes no difference if you write
perché instead of perche'..Nobody will ever notice it or care about it.

2 It is exactly the opposite. ..vado in Francia, vado a Roma...you simply use IN regarding nations and regions,
and A when talking about going to a city, town, village

3 capisti is not Italian..is a southern dialect you'll hear just in one region...but yes it's true, standard Italian
almost doesn't exist accent wise. .Every single region has its own accent (I m not talking about dialects) to
the point you can say 95% where people comes from

2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3843 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 54 of 134
22 May 2014 at 2:23am | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
Italian was difficult for me:

1. spelling was ridiculously hard, especially double consonants (doppie), I had to look
up every other word before trying to write something
[in theory, Italians should pronounce all double consonants clearly, and learners
should hear them, but that's not the case in real life, since
in the North many double consonants are pronounced as single, while from Rome
southwards single consonants are pronounced as double, even the
initial ones]
2. pronunciation [standard Italian has 7 stressed vowels and not 5 as in Spanish, yet
this is not indicated in spelling, except for a handful
of words like perché and ventitré which Northerners pronounce differently and write
incorrectly perchè, ventitrè etc...90% of Italians use open
and close O and E (ò vs ó, è vs é) but except from Rome and Tuscany, their distribution
is more often than never different than the ditionary
and RAI standards; this is different than in Portuguese, where all people pronounce
open and close E,O as it should be in the dictionary]
3. Italian grammar (too many irregular verbs, prepositions that vary with the object
used; compared to Italian, Portuguese has very few
irregular verbs, and the use of prepositions is consistent, in Brazilian Portuguese you
use A, PARA, EM with all destinations (depending on
degree of formality) but in Italian, you say VADO A FRANCIA, but VADO IN ROMA, that's
extremely difficult, since you have to memorize
prepositions along with the noun).
4. Too many regional preferences (affecting not only pronunciation perché/perchè, ragno
[rañño/ra:ño], zio [tsio, dzio], but syntax too [Hai
capito? vs Capisti?] and vocabulary (cocomero vs anguria).
5. Aside from RAI news and dubbed films, spoken standard Italian is extremely rare to
find, most Italians have heavy local accents (which are
not only difficult to understand but have no pure beauty of what foreigners mean of
Italian: standard RAI Italian.)
6. Italians don't give a damn about their language and spell words incorrectly, not
only on the internet but in magazines and newspapers too:
many times they write perchè, ventitrè or perche', ventitre' instead of perché,
ventitré...It may be better if they studied punctuation more at
school instead of venturing into old literature (like Dante or Petrarca).

7. So, I quit studying Italian, and focused more on my Portuguese and my Spanish.
You can always use Spanish in Italy since most people understand it.

8. I still love the sound of standard RAI Italian, with all open and close vowels
pronounced clearly: trèno, stupèndo, perché, stélla,
with [ts] in zio, zaino, with geminated gn/gl (ragno [rañño]), with raddoppiamento
sintattico (a Milano [ammilano]), too bad most Italians
don't speak like that, but use regional accents I don't find as acoustically appealing

9. As for Italians accepting foreign-accented Italian, they're like Chinese, even if
you speak borderline-acceptable Italian with a foreign
accent, they will say: you speak great Italian. The most famous example is my fellow
patriot Nina Moric.

Mmmh let's see what can I do for you... probably not much because you have really
strong ideas, but I'll try the same to provide my opinion.

1. How can be the spelling hard? It is almost completely phonetic. An before to come in
this forum, like all the Italians, I thought was
completely phonetic. By the way, the sound quality of doubles and singles consonants
are completely different. When speaking informally people
don't really care about the sound quality or the grammar.

2. Also here. Every time I say to an Italian person that we have 7 vowels he looks me
perplex and thinks I'm stupid. For Italians the vowels
are simply 5. The corrent pronunciation is important only if you want to sing or act at
great levels, otherwise who cares! We understand each
others in any case (and I'm not speaking about farmers, it is the same with people of
the highest social classes). When I'm with people of the
North I tend to use their accent and when I'm with people with the south I tend to use
southern accent. Now that I leave in the Netherlands I
speak much less Italian and my Italians mates in Italy told me that I have a foreigner
accent. I find this thing lovely.

3. For sure much less than English.

4. That is the beauty of our language. It is lovely to hear so many different way to
speak. I have a lot of fun with my Sicilian flatmate when
we start to compare Como's slang with Catania's slang. By the way, the remote past is
an archaic form to refer to facts happened very far away
in the past. It is useful just for the books and some article. In the south it is used
instead of the past... proximus? (I don't know how to
translate it lol) but it's grammatically wrong. By the way it's funny and adds colour
to the language.

5. Standard Italian is boring.

6. Don't see a reason about why should I care. I don't know how to pronounce it, I
don't need to know how to write it. Autocorrector does
magics, but if I don't use it nobody will notice it.

7. If you like more Portuguese and Spanish why not. By the way, people understands some
words of Spanish but they will answer with Italian and
you will probably understand only because of the gestures and in that way you cannot
have proper conversations and they will ignore you. With
two words in Italian they will probably invite you for dinner (in the south, at least).

8. Matter of tastes. RAI productions not only are usually terrible but nobody speaks
like them. It just seems artificial. If you speak like
them you will probably mocked in most environments. Keep in mind that Italian people
usually live in small villages of 3000-4000 inhabitants
and they are tremendously proud of that. Hearing people who talk like RAI trash stuff
is just funny, or annoying. Either they seem to be a TV
charachter or give the impression that are trying to show off. But I understand that
you have a completely different opinion about that, that
is absolutely fair.

9. Exactly. Therefore Italian is tremendously easy, because unless you want to do the
writer or university professor in certain universities an
acceptable level is just enough. We have old people speaking only dialect, people from
other regions with their completely different Italian, a
lot of immigrants with their own accents learning our provincial variation (the
variations are not only regional) if not even our dialect (that
can be slightly different between people of two confinant villages of 2000
inhabitants). Once a Senegalese boy started to talk me in milanese
dialect, was awesome! In Italy we love the diversities (a part of some ignorant people
who love to make fun of people from other
countries/regions/provinces/cities/villages) and most of all we hate the
standardization.

I add another personal point of view. All that I wrote is valid only for spoken
Italian. When I read a book I demand a perfect artistic
literary Italian and the educated people also generally follow this pattern. Literary
Italian is a joy. And we are lucky that our language
didn't change so much that we can understand texts of the 1300. But still, nobody
speaks like that. If you want to learn to write a book in
Italian, then the language is not difficult, but, let's say, almost impossible.

EDIT: actually this is also not true. There are the ghost writers to fix your
manuscript.

Edited by tristano on 22 May 2014 at 2:30am

3 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3843 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 55 of 134
22 May 2014 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
Regarding Italian, while Medulin's points are very valid I'd say they're pretty minor issues overall. Many
people don't pronounce it in the "standard" way... so what, and things like open versus closed Es hardly impede
understanding. I suppose that as a native English speaker, and one with a regional accent that's quite different from RP,
the idea of so many local variations is hardly unusual to me, and if anything they make the language more charming and
interesting. It's fun to guess where in Italy people are from based on their accent. Especially considering many Italians
have only been speaking Italian as a first language for a few generations and Italy's only been a unified country for a
century and a half, a lack of standardisation is not surprising.

If you think Italians are bad at writing their own language, then all I can say is don't try French... I found the fact that
many Italians can at least write their language mostly correctly to be quite a big relief after French and even English.

Italian is more difficult than it first appears though. Already having a decent knowledge of French, I picked up the basics
pretty quickly, but I was wrong to think that my progress would keep going at that rate. There is a lot of subtlety and
flexibility with usage and word order that can be quite hard to master when you're used to a more rigid and standardised
language like French; I've mentioned some of these points in my log, and a language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38739&PN=1&TPN=1">rec ent thread on Italian questions highlights a few. It does
mean that you can get a lot of leeway in terms of being understood, but also that speaking "correctly" is trickier.

I've seen that French keeps coming up on this thread. I've met tons of French learners but extremely few who speak it very
well, even after years in France, while people who speak excellent Spanish or Italian as a second language don't seem too
rare. People always seem to really struggle with at least one aspect; for me it's pronunciation, for others it might be
grammar or listening comprehension.

Hi garyb! I just had an amazing 7 days vacation in Scotland. I really loved the accent, specially in Glasgow and in
Inverness.
But indeed the informations that Medulin wrote are very accurate. I noticed that people from east europe are often able to
learn Italian in a ridicolous amount of time, like 2-3 months. That should be do to an easier pronunciation and grammar,
don't really know. The subtleties like in every language (and the own mother tongue as well) we never end to learn them. We
say "Fino alla bara si impara". We are proud of our broken ambiguous imperfect language. So expressive and colourful!
I don't know how is the reality with French people. They probably have different registers like us and they use them more or
less succesfully exactly like us I think. No?

One thing that I don't appreciate of English is the lack of a variety of different registers. When I talk to the highest
management I have the same feeling that I have when I talk with a close friend. Or to my dog. When I read novels I feel the
same literary expressivity that I advert when I read a chapter talking about the non horizontal scability of join operations
of relational databases. Middle English seems to be a completely different story, it seems to me to be much more colourful!
But here probably I am the problem. I like French much more and probably I'm only biased because of it.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3828 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 56 of 134
22 May 2014 at 3:17am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I must say that I am extremely surprised to see English so often listed. I continue to
hear, and have heard, especially from international classmates, and people from
Northern Europe, that English so easy that all they had to do to get to a high level
was play video games, watch British or American television, watch British or American
films, or navigate the Internet, or any combination thereof, which guaranteed instant
C1/C2. I know that English is extremely simplified and has no cases, noun gender, low
amount of conjugation, low distiction for detail (i.e. not many use
(t)here/(t)hither/(t)hence so that one can use a wrong word and still not be wrong,
etc., so I wonder what the real opinion is. I had friends who said that English was
just ridiculously easy that playing World of Warcraft or watching David Attenborough
and Coronation Street whilst reading Wikipedia articles sufficed to achieve at least
C1, since English surrounds society but that we Anglophones particularly cannot do this
because of their attitude and aptitude towards languages. So it seems like two
extremes: those who have severe problems and those who find that it is the easiest
language in the world.

The existence has stunted the state of linguistic knowledge in common European people. We have way too many
people who only speak Indo European languages and come to think of inflection as the only form of complexity
even though something like Turkish is miles simpler in regularity, phonology, and many more than English despite
being highly inflecting. English has some irregular plurals, comparative forms and at least 150 irregular verbs
unlike Turkish which has only about a 1/10 of that and 28 phonemes compared to 43 in English. But it gets a free
pass for being agglutinating.

To add, gender had to come into existence at some point yet nobody finds that
strange, so why is gender going away any stranger? If only they knew what PIE was like! I constantly encounter the
said people who make such stupid enraging claims on languages (English is backwards, primitive, etc.) that I want
to reach over and slap them.
Next time they claim English is easy, ask them about Turkish, Persian, or Mandarin, 1e4e6!

Edited by Stolan on 22 May 2014 at 3:40am

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version