United States
Joined 3828 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 129 of 134
29 May 2014 at 6:15am | IP Logged 
Forgive me, I typed some of those posts on my iphone. I tend to elaborate my speech with archaic and unusual features as a protest against the simplicity that the English language has underwent. I also rarely edit what I
write and write what I think as it comes out. But then I do come back and edit by usually adding more information
when more thoughts come. I am not the most typical person.

Edited by Stolan on 29 May 2014 at 6:18am

1 person has voted this message useful

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4434 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 130 of 134
29 May 2014 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:
Why the heck do you think tones are more difficult than other phonological difficulties to
begin with?

Do you have an example of a phonological difficulty that you consider equal to tones for non-tonal language
speakers? Nasal vowels in French come to mind, but since some native dialects don't use them, they can't be
as essential as tonality in Mandarin. Japanese learning languages with an r/l distinction? In English atleast
they can get by without the distinction...

It seems to me the tonal equivilent of these difficulties is we non-tonal speakers learning Japanese. There are
words which are distinguished by tone alone, but you can get by ignoring the distinction.

Edited by AlexTG on 29 May 2014 at 8:35am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4464 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 131 of 134
29 May 2014 at 5:03pm | IP Logged 
I'd say tones are the easier part of Mandarin phonology.

Stolan
United States
Joined 3828 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 

Message 132 of 134
29 May 2014 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
To Medulin, I would like to hear your opinions on the evolution of East Asian languages.

As Wilhelm Von Humbolt (who was wrong about tons of stuff) explained, the Chinese grammar is a grammar of the
mind and not the words. He was right about this one, but modern Chinese is moving away from the monosyllabic
context based skeleton+strings and pulley language that numerous Southeast Asian languages still are (although
Vietnamese is moving away too) and gaining organs and muscle. It is not that they lack inflection, but they lack
techniques and distinctions.

Chinese word order is currently based on pragmatics, a step up from strict SVO/SOV or free context based order
which many other languages in that area are, yet other techniques such as a conditional mood may rely on discourse
and social techniques to perform the same action. What may be the subjunctive is achieved not through inflection
but knowing how to converse a certain way. Hence some Asian languages tend to have large personal pronoun and
honorific inventories while other forms are at the minimum needed for communication. Chinese used to have a
larger pronoun inventory in its past too.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4464 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 133 of 134
30 May 2014 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
You're right, 75% of modern Mandarin words are 2-syllabic, sometimes their components can be separated (as in 孩子), sometimes they can't (as in 蝴蝶). Chinese script and scriptio continua worked beautifully for old Chinese (when all words were monosyllabic), but nowadays this approach would be tedious, thank God Chinese use much more , ; and - than European languages (so Mandarin is more comfortable to read than Thai). (Speaking of Thai and Lao I find their grammar too easy, to the point that expressing any complex idea requires some linguistic acrobatics, just like in Toki Pona.).

Edited by Medulin on 30 May 2014 at 4:41pm

Stolan
United States
Joined 3828 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 

Message 134 of 134
31 May 2014 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
Lao word order is free and context and intonation are important. I suspect that the ancestor of Thai/Lao/Khmer/etc.
used to be heavily inflecting to the point that word boundaries didn't exist as much, we can see languages related to
Tibetan that have as many as 10 ablaut stems for one verb and 8 cases and dual and plurals, they lost classifiers
though (shame). Khmer has relatives that have huge amounts of derivational morphology and lexical aspect
modification through infixes, I suspect they once were inflecting (they still have conjugation prefixes). Thus I think:

Hypothesis (not theory):
Things such as adjectives, prepositions, adverbs, possession, etc may have been contained in a single word.
Sorta like Kabardian, Old Chinese didn't have tones but a large consonant inventory and permitted clusters often
that seem impossible for a westerner to pronounce. Maybe if we go further back we find heavy inflection in these
Asian languages.

I imagine that their ancestors had to rely on so much affixing that when they dropped off and inflection left, things
that are uninflected with complicated syntactical rules such adpositions, clitics, wh-words, preverbal devices,
separate words for adjectives and adverbs, stuff like reflexive, phrasal, lexical aspect, and/or light verbs, etc. didn't
exist yet and it would take a long time for them to evolve.
Hence a huge lack of boundaries and mandatory rules (now in Chinese dialects, one must now use the correct
aspect particle, but in Thai you can drop it if context permits) and a grammar based on discourse and social
interaction would exist for a while. Many are gaining tonal morphology of sorts often with agreement rules
(I don't get why Thai, Lao, and many more have no tonal sandhi, I understand Cantonese lacks it but it is much less
conservative. Numerous Chinese dialects are evolving to have more complicated interactions)

Btw Kabardian is a caucasian language that is agglutinating and has nearly no irregular stems yet undergoes
numerous phonological processes that are regular yet very complicated. I am interested in it.
Basically Finnish on steroids. Yet there are other related languages with even more complicated phonology.
(I'm taking this example from google books)
Ex: 0-y-a-y-ə-tə-a-aɣ-s' = " yayetaaɣs' "? no, it is roughly " yir,ritas' ". Gemination is taken into account.

Edited by Stolan on 05 June 2014 at 3:25am

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version