Joined 3895 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 17 of 134
19 May 2014 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Gustavo Russi wrote:
1e4e6 wrote:
However the French «monde» sounds more like the English "moan" with a nasal tinge at the end.

And the word "monde" actually has two syllables (the "moan" one, as you said, and a
silent "d", as the word ends with an "e")

I'm by no means an expert on French, but to me "monde" sounds nothing like "moan" (nasal not, "moan" has a diphtong) and I've never heard it pronounced with a silent D in France. But, then again, if there are two syllables, the D cannot be silent so maybe that's not quite what you meant?

3 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4461 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 18 of 134
19 May 2014 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
It's a bit hard to make an analogy since ɔ̃ does not exist in English and neither does
pure "ô" in most dialects. Quebec "monde" typically sounds a little closer to English
"moan" since the "on" is more open. :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 19 of 134
19 May 2014 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
As for other Romance languages, they have similar issues too but at least the writing is generally much closer to what's pronounced.

Stolan
United States
Joined 3828 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 20 of 134
19 May 2014 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Thai (not pronunciation)-the grammar is full of dropping stuff that I have to rework how I converse. Pragmatics
plays a huge role in discussion and I have to infer or listen for the right intonation.
The sentence "not tree tall walk 3 minute" can mean hundreds of things but I must be ready to know what is
meant. The lack of derivational methods means much is said through periphrasis or an Indic loanword too.
And the lack of different word types, it is pretty much "nouns" and "stuff with nouns".

Edited by Stolan on 19 May 2014 at 4:44pm

jpmtl
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 3798 days ago

44 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 21 of 134
19 May 2014 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Monde is pronounced exactly as it is written. Or rather mond', with the d pronounced (ie, not pronounced as 'mon' or 'moan').
2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4086 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 22 of 134
19 May 2014 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
I guess that I mean that a Hispanophone, Lusophone, or Italophone would probably
pronounce «monde» as /mohn-day/ similar to an English "monday", pronounce the "ts" in
«escargots«, pronounce «fils» like English "feels", «Paris» exactly how it si spelt, i.e.
/pa-rees/, «table» as "ta-blay" and not even expect that they could have silent letters
in those words.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4852 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 23 of 134
19 May 2014 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I guess that I mean that a Hispanophone, Lusophone, or Italophone would probably
pronounce «monde» as /mohn-day/ similar to an English "monday", pronounce the "ts" in
«escargots«, pronounce «fils» like English "feels", «Paris» exactly how it si spelt, i.e.
/pa-rees/, «table» as "ta-blay" and not even expect that they could have silent letters
in those words.

Why would they pronounce [ei] and not just [e]? [ts] does not exist in Spanish.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5024 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 24 of 134
19 May 2014 at 10:32pm | IP Logged 
I don't think "monde" is a particularly good example, because it's perfectly predictable. On the contrary, I'd use monde as an example if I wanted to show how predictable French spelling is. If I were going to stress the unpredictability, I'd mention:

1. The circumflexes seem to have, according to most accounts, lost their function. That means you simply have to memorize where they are.

2. Consonants are geminated in spelling but not in speech. Again, blunt memorization is required.

3. There's not a one to one correspondence between spellings and nasal vowels. From speech you often can't tell if a vowel is followed by an "m" or an "n," since both nasalize the vowel and disappear. The worst is the "en" vowel, which can be spelled ien, en, em, ym, yn, in, and im.

4. Also in the prestige dialect, a's can be bright or dark, but it's tough to tell where.

5. Elision comes with a complicated series of rules.

And there's more.

Edited by ScottScheule on 19 May 2014 at 10:33pm

This discussion contains 134 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version