Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5005 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 41 of 58
10 September 2014 at 4:00pm | IP Logged 
I've never keenly followed those videos so I can't say whether they're becoming more or less popular, but the ones I've seen I've very much enjoyed and found extremely motivating. Especially since the people often have good accents in the languages they speak, which to me is at least as impressive as being able to talk about various subjects spontaneously or whatever other standards you want to measure them by. It's also interesting to see them explain how and why they learnt their languages.

I'm a big fan of Luca for example, who's not only made some impressive video demonstrating his abilities but has also produced a good number of videos and articles explaining his learning ideas and methods. For me, the demonstration videos aren't just showing off, they're proof that these ideas and methods are effective.

I don't feel that such videos unrealistically represent their makers' skills. Even if they are somewhat rehearsed or done with the aid of notes or a text, speaking smoothly and with a good accent requires quite substantial knowledge of the language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4106 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 42 of 58
10 September 2014 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
YnEoS wrote:
Also Oxford's Very Short Introduction series, many of which are very high quality works, I believe was conceived to
encourage inter-disciplinary study rather than to be a "dumbed downed version".

The contents are sometimes very good, although the Penguin Pelicans did the same job, better imo,
a couple of generations earlier for a general audience and at a normal length. You do need to ask what new purpose these
super-slim books serve, since there have always been approachable books for readers who want a general introduction.

Quote:
Audio/Video formats can also be much better suited for studying certain fields like music and video. And there are a number
of highly intelligent people who have never written or published anything, but have begun to share their knowledge and insight
through other mediums like podcasting or videos.

Agreed. Indeed, unpublished intelligent people like Wes Cecil. Also many lectures from top universities on YouTube, and great documentaries
and monologues from clever oddballs like Arguelles. It's not so much that if you use audio/video channels to take in information that you're
wasting your time... rather Cecil argues that this is a trend that probably points to the future: people like to look at pictures, and to
listen to someone's voice, and to see their face. Which is natural if you think about it. It's the written page which is the stranger method.

Edited by Retinend on 10 September 2014 at 6:33pm

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4186 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 43 of 58
10 September 2014 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
[QUOTE=albysky] I also think that Tim Donner was just a huge marketing success
story . He may have known some of his
languages well but he has been above all very skilled at selling himself to the media . 20 languages in 3 or
4 years , that s a nonsense to everyone who has even the vaguest idea of what learning a language means
, yet this is also what "laymen"are impressed by . Luca , Richard and Steve are for sure the real deal.[/
QUOTE]
Yeah, because you're not allowed to state you "speak" a language until you can discuss rocket science in
it with an at least (!) native accent...

While Tim Doner might not be able to do this in all of his 20 languages, he nevertheless has an amazingly
good grip on most of them. He obviously is also a rather self-critical person, because he deleted his first
Russian video which was recorded when he still made a lot of grammatical mistakes.

I think he got into this whole YouTube polyglottery business rather carelessly (How shouldn't he? He's
only a teenager!) and only later discovered how anal some persons can be over pronunciation and
grammar mistakes, because - see above - you're not allowed to say you "speak" a language until... yeah!

However, I follow him on YouTube and Facebook and he seems to be a very intelligent, even intellectual
person. He doesn't stop at learning how to speak a language, he actually studies the literature, linguistic
features, and etymology. When did Luca, Richard, or (ha ha!) Benny do anything like that?

Last but not least, Tim got into Harvard (or was it Yale), so he can't be that bad. Really, to my mind, this
guy is the real deal! His pronunciation or grammar may not be as perfect as Richard's or Luca's, but did
you ever compare the languages they study?

Richard and Luca concentrate on mainstream European languages with some Mandarin and Japanese
interspersed. Tim, however, studies European, Oriental, African, Indian, East Asian, and even Native
American languages. I've never seen such a diversity in language families (with the possible exception of
Moses McCormick)!

He also criticizes the way the media coined him as the wunderkind speaking 20 languages and the
sensationalism behind that (see [URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNmf-G81Irs]this video[/
URL]). He tries to promote serious language learning and I suspect he might go into academic linguistics
or something similar. You're right, he's different from Richard and Luca, but not in a bad way! I'd rather
compare him to Alex Rawlings or Professor Arguelles.

But, yeah, go on deprecating a very gifted person because he doesn't match your standards! You could at
least have the decency to do what he has done before going on and criticizing him like that.

Hey , I do think that Tim Donner is talented and I do not want to play down his achievements , I simply
don't happen to like his format , I also think that it was just more a sort of "showing off" . In my view you
don't make a video speaking in 20 languages if in most of them you can say barely a few sentences and
probably understand near to nothing , some people could really end up thinkg you do speak those
languages for real and get a distorted idea ( as I did myself before doing quite a bit of researching ) of
what learning 20 languages is like by getting to hear :" I habe studied arabic for 4 months , German for 2
and so forth .
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4642 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 44 of 58
10 September 2014 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
albysky wrote:
Hey , I do think that Tim Donner is talented and I do not want to play down his achievements , I simply don't happen to like his format , I also think that it was just more a sort of "showing off" . In my view you don't make a video speaking in 20 languages if in most of them you can say barely a few sentences and probably understand near to nothing , some people could really end up thinkg you do speak those languages for real and get a distorted idea ( as I did myself before doing quite a bit of researching ) of what learning 20 languages is like by getting to hear :" I habe studied arabic for 4 months , German for 2 and so forth .

Well, first of all, he says in his video that he is on different levels in all of his languages.

Second of all, he surely doesn't "barely speak a few sentences" in most of the languages he presents.

Third of all, you realize he is still a teenager who may not be aware of the unspoken rules of the polyglot community? I don't know about you, but when I was a teenager I would also show off in things I was good at. It's quite natural for his age.

Edited by Josquin on 10 September 2014 at 8:23pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4186 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 45 of 58
10 September 2014 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
albysky wrote:
Hey , I do think that Tim Donner is talented and I do not want to play
down his achievements , I simply don't happen to like his format , I also think that it was just more a sort
of "showing off" . In my view you don't make a video speaking in 20 languages if in most of them you can
say barely a few sentences and probably understand near to nothing , some people could really end up
thinkg you do speak those languages for real and get a distorted idea ( as I did myself before doing quite a
bit of researching ) of what learning 20 languages is like by getting to hear :" I habe studied arabic for 4
months , German for 2 and so forth .

Well, first of all, he says in his video that he is on different levels in all of his languages.

Second of all, he surely doesn't "barely speak a few sentences" in most of the languages he presents.

Third of all, you realize he is still a teenager who may not be aware of the unspoken rules of the polyglot
community? I don't know about you, but when I was a teenager I would also show off in things I was good
in. It's quite natural for his age.

how well he knew them , I doubt we will get to know . I may be a bit too pessimist . Yes , he was a teen
ager , we can forgive him :-)

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 46 of 58
11 September 2014 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:
.. but maybe the excellent lecture by polyglot and literature professor, Wes Cecil "The Future of Language," will interest you and Iverson. He suggests that we're revolving from a printed literary culture back to an oral one. I realize the irony of giving you this lecture in recorded form. He argues that, given the choice, and with the technology making it feasible, we now prefer to take in the words of a wise man / funny man / story teller in an audible / visible way rather than in print. Audiobooks are booming. Youtube is full of Vblogs which only show a person's face. TED talks are a huge hit for people who don't have the patience for the 300 page popular science book which they promote.Publishers like Penguin are releasing more and more very slim books like the "Great Ideas" series and "Penguin 60s" and "Mini Modern Classics." Oxford University Press even has its "Very Short Introductions to..." series.

I do not frown upon documentaries - actually I spend hours daily watching such programs on TV. Talking heads may be a necessary evil in documentaries, but seeing a face with a mouth that does periodical movements doesn't add anything to the real content - if people like such rubber faces it must be because they remind them about social interactions (which they like), not because they expect to learn a lot of hard facts (which they may not like). The real problem is that people equate a 50 minute TED talk with a 300 pages thick book. OK, there are thick books with very little content out there, but it would take much more than 50 minutes to read a 300 pages thick book. Maybe the content in one of the ultra slim booklets corresponds to the amount of speech you can produce in 50 minutes, but then the content on the remaining (300 - x) pages has disappeared from this world.

The same reasoning applies to news broadcasts: they may be valuable for the films and pictures and for being up to date (I hope), but if you wrote all the babble produced by the talking heads in such a program down on paper it would fill max. one page in a standard oldfashioned newspaper.

O tempora o mores.

Edited by Iversen on 11 September 2014 at 12:25pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 47 of 58
11 September 2014 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Retinend wrote:
.. but maybe the excellent lecture by polyglot and
literature professor, Wes Cecil "The
Future of Language,"
will interest you and Iverson. He suggests that we're
revolving from a printed literary culture back to an oral one. I realize the irony of
giving you this lecture in recorded form. He argues that, given the choice, and with
the technology making it feasible, we now prefer to take in the words of a wise man /
funny man / story teller in an audible / visible way rather than in print. Audiobooks
are booming. Youtube is full of Vblogs which only show a person's face. TED talks are a
huge hit for people who don't have the patience for the 300 page popular science book
which they promote.Publishers like Penguin are releasing more and more very slim books
like the "Great Ideas" series and "Penguin 60s" and "Mini Modern Classics." Oxford
University Press even has its "Very Short Introductions to..." series.

I do not frown upon documentaries - actually I spend hours daily watching such programs
on TV. Talking heads may be a necessary evil in documentaries, but seeing a face with a
mouth that does periodical movements doesn't add anything to the real content - if
people like such rubber faces it must be because they remind them about social
interactions (which they like), not because they expect to learn a lot of hard facts
(which they may not like). The real problem is that people equate a 50 minute TED talk
with a 300 pages thick book. OK, there are thick books with very little content out
there, but it would take much more than 50 minutes to read a 300 pages thick book.
Maybe the content in one of the ultra slim booklets corresponds to the amount of speech
you can produce in 50 minutes, but then the content on the remaining (330 - x) pages
has disappeared from this world.

The same reasoning applies to news broadcasts: they may be valuable for the films and
pictures and for being up to date (I hope), but if you wrote all the babble produced by
the talking heads in such a program down on paper it would fill max. one page in a
standard oldfashioned newspaper.

O tempora o mores.

On the whole, I think there is a time and place for all these media, including good old
fashioned thick books and serious newpapers with actual content and words of more than
two syllables.

But on the subject of the broadcast media, (in the context of news, comment and even
serious documentaries), unfortunately, there is so much "stage management" that to me
it feels a rather false medium. I say this based partly on my own experience
occasionally talking to local radio and TV. Because of the way the programme has to
work, they will often ask you to do things you wouldn't normally do, because it fits
into their programme format, or, more worryingly, their agenda. Those familiar with
British TV and the set-piece interview (political or otherwise) will know about the
"noddy" - where the interviewer films some minutes of himself nodding, in supposed
agreement with, or encouragement for, the interviewee. This just seems so laughably
false, that I wonder anyone takes the TV interview seriously at all. Radio is a more
honest medium in many respects, although even there, things can also get a bit stage
managed.

Having said that, I do like documentaries with a serious intent, and where decent
research has been done, and not too much "stage management" is on display.

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4106 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 48 of 58
11 September 2014 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
I sympathize if you have been misrepresented by people in the TV world, Montmorency, but how can you single it out as a particularly "false medium"? The
"noddy" is exactly analogous to missing things out in a quoted text, and of course "the noddy" isn't even necessary in radio - you only need to cut. So
all three have the potential to be misleading in exactly the same way.

Edited by Retinend on 11 September 2014 at 3:59pm

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version