2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 49 of 58
11 September 2014 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:
I sympathize if you have been misrepresented by people in the TV
world, Montmorency,

I haven't, but I have been asked to do things that I either would not normally do, or
things I wasn't planning to do at that time, for the purposes of an interview.
Trivial in itself, I suppose, but when I see interviews of other people on TV, or more
usually the preview footage, e.g. supposedly them just happening to be walking down a
corridor to their office, or whatever it might be, and I can just imagine the way it
was set up, and wonder how many takes it took to get the effect the programme makers
wanted.

Quote:

but how can you single it out as a particularly "false medium"?

I suppose because TV programmes are made for mainly visual effect, and to get the
effect that the programme makers want means it has to be artificially set up in some
way. We are very rarely watching anything truly spontaneous in the kind of programmes
I'm thinking about, even though they are often presented as being spontaneous.

Quote:

The
"noddy" is exactly analogous to missing things out in a quoted text,

I don't see the analogy. But it's probably not worth arguing about.

Quote:

and of course "the noddy" isn't even necessary in radio - you only need to cut. So
all three have the potential to be misleading in exactly the same way.

Well it isn't necessary on TV either, but it's done for some reason.
Because there is no need (obviously) for visual artifice on radio, that's why I say
it's more honest, and also because someone can go in with a microphone and tape
recorder with minimal setup and genuinely record a spontaneous interview, and very
effective they can be too, quite often.

But yes, radio could be edited misleadingly, or, for example, on the Radio 4 Programme
"Today", which goes out live, you get a different kind of stage management, where the
politicians are grilled on the one hand, the politicians stonewall and don't answer the
questions on the other hand, and then the presenter urgently finds out they've run out
of time, and go on to some other item, which often turns out to be a triviality.

So yes, both forms of broadcast medium are false to some extent, but the visual form is
more false, IMHO. Every TV programme is a mini movie film in a way, and we all know how
much artifice goes into the average commercial movie (off-beat art-house stuff may be
different). That's the nature of the beast.

1 person has voted this message useful

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4106 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 50 of 58
12 September 2014 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
To clarify - the noddy is just a way of covering the seams of editing, which is always
needed for purposes of concision, though of course can also be used to manipulate - some
would say inevitably so. The analogy is that this is often done in print, when long
quotations are streamlined with ellipses.

In practice, I agree that TV is more manipulative, but the medium itself is not
inherently so, I would say.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 51 of 58
12 September 2014 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
There is a course in 'noddy making' here

Noddies are not a bad thing in themselves. The problem is the mannerisms of the people who make TV and other media - like long inwards spiraling towards some person who is going to say a few phrases, and presenting the people you have hired as if they were renowned experts and world master in something. In comparison to that limited amounts of nodding is OK - and better than seeing an interviewer showing clear signs of depair or boredom or hatred towards the interviewee. Or smiling towards the camera to make certain that everybody sees the interviewee as a jerk, just as you do. And showing landscapes or cityscapes may also be better than showing people all the time. Funnily enough cuts aren't treated in the article I referred to, but in practical video making they are definitely the most important kind of editing of them all. Actually most videos would gain from a bit of slimming down, including my own.

Edited by Iversen on 12 September 2014 at 12:22pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4505 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 52 of 58
13 September 2014 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
albysky wrote:
Hey , I do think that Tim Donner is talented and I do
not want to play down his achievements , I simply don't happen to like his format , I
also think that it was just more a sort of "showing off" . In my view you don't make a
video speaking in 20 languages if in most of them you can say barely a few sentences
and probably understand near to nothing , some people could really end up thinkg you
do speak those languages for real and get a distorted idea ( as I did myself before
doing quite a bit of researching ) of what learning 20 languages is like by getting
to hear :" I habe studied arabic for 4 months , German for 2 and so forth .

Well, first of all, he says in his video that he is on different levels in all of his
languages.

Second of all, he surely doesn't "barely speak a few sentences" in most of the
languages he presents.

Third of all, you realize he is still a teenager who may not be aware of the unspoken
rules of the polyglot community? I don't know about you, but when I was a teenager I
would also show off in things I was good at. It's quite natural for his age.

He has given an appraisal of his skills elsewhere. What it comes down to is that he is
particularly good at (English aside) French, Arabic, Hebrew and Farsi. I believe he's
also studied a very reasonable amount of Chinese, German and Russian.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4642 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 53 of 58
26 September 2014 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
If anybody is interested in what Timothy Doner is up to now, here's an article about him in the Harvard Crimson journal:

A Talk With the Polyglot

Lemberg1963
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
zamishka.blogspot.coRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4037 days ago

41 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, Ukrainian*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Polish

Message 54 of 58
15 October 2014 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
I don't think they were a fad, but just that they said all that they had to say.

For example, would you really need more videos to understand Luca's method? Similarly,
there's probably a lack of new youtube polyglots because their own methods have already
been covered by that first generation of youtubers.

Edited by Lemberg1963 on 15 October 2014 at 9:17pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6501 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 55 of 58
16 October 2014 at 2:53pm | IP Logged 
I can't vouch for Luca, but I have changed my opinion about certain things I have described in my videos - like the way wordlists should be reviewed. But I doubt that I'll make new videos just because of that. I rarely learn practical things from videos myself, so for me the idea of making training videos for others is slightly weird. I did it to accommodate a wish from a number of learners, but I guess they have seen enough of me now.

Actually I wonder why I still receive emails about people who subscribe to my channel one year after I last added anything to it.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Splog
Diglot
Czech Republic
anthonylauder.c
Joined 5467 days ago

1062 posts - 3263 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech
Studies: Mandarin

Message 56 of 58
22 October 2014 at 2:50pm | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:
Anthony Lauder - perhaps a "polyNOT" but with some
of the most practical advice and the friendliest of faces - 3-4 years ago.

Goodness, what an honour to have been included among those other names. You are very kind.

There is a reason I stopped making youtube videos, and it is a very simple one: I ran out of things to say. I made most of my videos when I was still quite new to language learning, and was thinking constantly how to overcome my considerable lack of talent for languages. This process led to a period of ideas and experiences flooding my brain that I felt compelled to share.

Nowadays, I have pretty much figured out a way to learn languages that works well for me, and more importantly, my brain seems to have transformed itself from being useless at languages to being not terrible at them. The result is that I spend a lot more time learning languages than thinking about how to learn them. Alas, this means I don't have many new ideas to share.

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version