Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 1 of 55
27 December 2014 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
I have decided, after lengthy consideration, not to participate in the TAC this year. In spite of my best
intentions, I never seem to have time to post, and even an individual TAC seems a bit
pointless without consistent updating.. But I do enjoy writing about my learning when I have the time and I
also like hearing from everyone, so I decided to start this new log. Hopefully I will have time to update it this
year, but if not, I will certainly return at some point in the future.

I will be studying Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Italian, and Spanish this year. Haitian Creole (and probably
French) will take over this summer, and Old English will hopefully show up this fall. Various other languages
may make guest appearances, especially since I'm going to be living in Italy for a few months (January
through May) and will have the opportunity to travel around a bit.

I will supply more details later.

A presto!

Edited by Amerykanka on 27 December 2014 at 7:57am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5901 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 2 of 55
27 December 2014 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
Looking forward to hearing about your Italian stay. Maybe you'll get the opportunity to visit Poland too - and meet some żubry :)

1 person has voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 3 of 55
30 December 2014 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
Zamierzam odwiedzić Polskę podczas mojego pobytu w Europie, więc kto wie, może będę mogła
zaprzyjaźnić się z jakimiś żubrami. :) W każdym razie na pewno muszę popracować nad moim polskim przed
wyjazdem do Polski. Odzwyczaiłam się od użycia języka polskiego, zwłaszcza od mówienia, i wielu moich
przyjaciół liczy na mnie jako tłumaczkę. Zobaczymy jak to tłumaczenie mi wyjdzie ale jestem
podekscytowana.

Edited by Amerykanka on 30 December 2014 at 5:09am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 4 of 55
30 December 2014 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
Italian Update #1
My Italian is coming along quite well, considering that I have only been studying for four days. So far I have
learned a lot of vocab (my knowledge of Spanish and Latin makes retention very easy) and a lot of phrases,
but not much grammar. I know present tense of regular verbs and of avere, essere, andare,
dire, dovere, potere, fare, volere, stare, venire, and dare. Is it just me or
does Italian have an amazing number of irregular verbs? Tomorrow I must get down to work and memorize
the endings for more tenses. I only have 18 days until I arrive in Italy and I want to know as much as possible
beforehand.

My experience with Italian has been quite interesting so far. I have never learned a language this closely
related to one of my other languages before. Haitian Creole has strong Romance roots, obviously, but since I
don't speak French the similarities between Creole and my other languages aren't as striking as those
between Italian and Spanish. With Italian half the time I feel like I am learning some sort of weird dialect of
Spanish. It is to the point that I felt betrayed the other day when I learned the Italian word for bird. My
reaction was "What???? 'Uccello'??? What kind of dirty trick is this? It doesn't look like Spanish!!!"

In light of my tendency to relate everything to Spanish, it is strange that my strongest interference with Italian
comes not from Spanish but rather from Haitian Creole. I keep on placing "pa" in front of Italian verbs to
negate them. I am sure that I will provide some good amusement for the Italians. If you run into a poor
American speaking a garbled mixture of Italian, Haitian Creole, and Spanish, it will probably be me. :)

That said, I don't want it to sound like I dislike or fail to appreciate Italian. I am learning it for utilitarian
purposes, but I will end up falling in love with it since I have never reached a decent level in a language yet
without growing to love it. With some languages - like Polish - the attraction is immediate, while with others -
like Spanish - the fondness grows slowly over time. Either way, my hopeless fascination with languages
ensures that the love is always ignited in the end. And the beautiful rhythm and intonation of Italian are
already at work on my heart . . .

Edited by Amerykanka on 30 December 2014 at 5:50am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 55
30 December 2014 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
Haha dialect of Spanish? I wonder what you'll think if you try Portuguese.
And yes, I remember the same feeling about uccello! It felt so random and weird :D fortunately, this is where reading helps :)

Good luck with your Italian!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 6 of 55
30 December 2014 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
Let's hope I don't start learning Portuguese any time soon, I would probably go crazy. Italian is close enough
for the time being. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one with uccello. If I keep reminding myself that it is in fact derived from avis
via Late Latin *avicellus, maybe I will eventually make peace with it. After all Spanish pájaro looked
pretty weird, too, at first sight.

Grazie, e buona fortuna con le tue lingue!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 7 of 55
01 January 2015 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
Polish Update #1
No to zdecydowałam przywitać nowy rok z przykładem pracowitości więc wczoraj wieczorem zaczęłam
książkę Dziurę w sercu Romka Pawlaka i właśnie teraz ją dokończyłam. Muszę przyznać się, że to nie
bardzo wyrafinowana ni bardzo trudna książka (napisana była dla nastolatek), ale liczy 200 stron i ma wiele
takich potocznych wyrażeń, których nie znam i nie mogę nauczyć się z utworów Mickiewicza lub
Sienkiewicza.

Nie spodobała mi się zbyt dużo ta książka, troseczkę za stereotypowa, ale było kilka fajnych scen i
wzruszający koniec. Cieszę się, że znowu czytam po polsku, w zeszłym semestrze byłam tak zajęta, że
ledwie dałam sobie radę przeczytać jakichś sto stron Zakonu Feniksa. Miejmy nadzieję, że w nowym
roku będę miała więcej czasu na mój ulubiony język. Gdybym tylko mogła czytać, ile chcę, to mój polski na
pewno polepszyłby się. Tylko po jednej książce czuję, że wracają mi do głowy wszystkie zapomniane wyrazy
i reguły gramatyczne.

PS: Chciałam tylko wspomnieć, że wszystkie poprawki są bardzo mile widziane. Jeżeli ktoś by chciał, chętnie
poprawiłabym rzeczy napisane w języku angielskim w zamian za pomoc z moim polskim.

Edited by Amerykanka on 01 January 2015 at 10:36pm

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 8 of 55
06 January 2015 at 5:54am | IP Logged 
Just one question: why does anyone think that Polish pronunciation is scary, when there exist words like
ghiaccio?

I would take Polish spelling over Italian any day.

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version