Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 17 of 55
14 June 2015 at 8:28am | IP Logged 
@Mooby, confusing people is always fun. I am glad to see from your log that your Polish studies are going
well, and I enjoy reading your poetry!

1 person has voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 18 of 55
15 June 2015 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
Last Tuesday, I walked into Barnes & Noble armed with a $10 gift card and determined to buy a useful (but
fun) book. I searched the language section to no avail and asked myself age-old questions such as: "Why
don't they keep intros to Hebrew script in stock? Or what would be wrong with an Irish grammar?" After
examining all of the books on Cyrillic carefully and rejecting them one by one, I decided that there was only
one thing to be done: I headed in the direction of the sign LIBROS EN ESPAÑOL.

There a bitter battle was waged. Jorge Luis Borges' Aleph fought valiantly, but ultimately failed because I
have Ficciones sitting here on my shelf and I won't reward myself with more Borges until I've finished it.
Next Paulo Coelho's El Alquimista made an attempt, but got discarded because it was not originally
written in Spanish. Then Laura Gallego García's Todas las hadas del reino tempted me, but I read some
negative reviews online so I decided it wasn't worth $15. And then, I saw it . . . the perfect book: Marina
by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. I had been meaning to read some of his works for a while, and this one looked
interesting and had good reviews on Amazon. So I took the plunge. I bought it.

And my life will never be the same again.

Okay, ignore that last bit, I'm up too late and the exhaustion is getting to me. Anyway, I bought the book and
now I am 140 pages into it. It is pretty good - also a little creepy - but the real reason that I have written this
long and weird post about it is that it made me realize how much I have been slacking on reading. I have
dozens of books in Spanish and Polish within my reach - whether on my iPad, on my shelf, or at the library -
and I can't remember the last time I finished a book in either language. Clearly, this is unacceptable.

So, I have devised a new plan - my Summer Reading Challenge. The goal - to read at least 15 pages a day
in both Spanish and Polish, and (for good measure) to memorize at least 25 lines of Latin poetry a week.

I will report back later with more details - right now I am in desperate need of sleep. The challenge begins
tomorrow morning.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 19 of 55
16 June 2015 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
I know that 15 pages is not very much, but I also know the way my mind works, and setting a lower goal is -
in this case - the best motivator. If I have to read only 15 pages, then I will probably end up reading 30 pages
anyway. But if I *have* to read 30 pages, then I will just feel constricted and end up not reading anything at
all. Also, I would like to continue reading daily once school starts, and at school I simply don't have time to
read more than 15 pages a day, what with studies, multiple jobs, and extracurriculars, and my determination
to maintain some semblance of a social life in spite of my insane schedule. I am hoping that if I get in the
habit of 15 pages a day during the summer, I will be able to keep it up this fall.

So, for this reason, I have settled on the magic number 15. Now for the fun part - a list of my intended books.
I have selected ten in each language; they include classics, modern teen novels, and collections of short
stories - anything I saw on my shelf was fair game. The ultimate goal is to read them all as quickly as
possible, but the short-term goal . . . 15 pages a day.

SPANISH
Marina ~ Carlos Ruiz Zafón
La sombra del viento ~ Carlos Ruiz Zafón
San Manuel Bueno, Mártir ~ Miguel de Unamuno
Niebla ~ Miguel de Unamuno
Ficciones ~ Jorge Luis Borges
Todos mis cuentos ~ Ana María Matute
El tiempo entre costuras ~ María Dueñas
Don Quijote de la Mancha ~ Miguel de Cervantes
El sueño del celta ~ Mario Vargas Llosa
El amor en los tiempos del cólera ~ Gabriel García Márquez

POLISH
Szatan z siódmej klasy ~ Kornel Makuszyński
Kamienie na szaniec ~ Aleksander Kamiński
Nadzieja umiera ostatnia ~ Halina Birenbaum
Inna? ~ Irena Jurgielewiczowa
Ogniem i mieczem ~ Henryk Sienkiewicz
Potop ~ Henryk Sienkiewicz
Pan Wołodyjowski ~ Henryk Sienkiewicz
Nad Niemnem ~ Eliza Orzeszkowa
Sobowtór ~ Ewa Karwan-Jastrzębska
Stara baśń ~ J. Kraszewski

SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: DAY 1

Marina - 36 pages
Szatan z siódmej klasy - 22 pages

Edited by Amerykanka on 16 June 2015 at 2:50am

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5901 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 20 of 55
16 June 2015 at 1:48pm | IP Logged 
Nice selection of Polish Classics there!
In the past I've read older material but struggled to cope with the syntax which seems so convoluted / odd / dated. You've made a good start to your challenge - trzymaj tak dalej!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 21 of 55
17 June 2015 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
Yes, some of the older books can certainly be challenging. Sienkiewicz isn't usually too bad, though, so the
only item on my list that I am anticipating serious trouble with is Stara baśń. We shall see. I love Polish
classics in general so I am very excited about this project.

SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: DAY 2
Marina - 23 pages
Szatan z siódmej klasy - 22 pages

So far I have been reading Marina intensively. I have added some interesting new words to my Anki
deck, my favorites being azabache ("jet", as in the semiprecious stone, not the flying machine),
manillar ("handlebars"), andamiaje ("scaffolding"), and ensenada ("cove" or "inlet"). It is nice to
be able to read without stopping every other sentence to look things up. This freedom from reference books
is probably short-lived - just wait til I start on Borges - but I am enjoying it while it lasts.

I have been reading Szatan z siódmej klasy extensively, on the other hand. This is because I really need
to get back into "Polish mode" before I start making Polish flashcards. Otherwise I would end up with far too
many; it has simply been too long since I have read much in Polish, so I have lots of doubts that will clear up
on their own after a few hundred pages of reading. That said, in a few weeks I am going to start cracking
down on Polish grammar review, and then I will work on vocabulary expansion as well.

Edited by Amerykanka on 17 June 2015 at 5:42am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 22 of 55
17 June 2015 at 6:40pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your project!!!
I'm very curious about Marina because that's my name, haha :) I'll probably read it sooner or later :)

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 23 of 55
18 June 2015 at 3:43am | IP Logged 
Haha I understand, I feel compelled to read Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier for the same reason. :) I
haven't quite finished Marina yet, but it's not bad so far - even though it is kind of creeping me out right
now. If you like mystery/suspense you will probably enjoy it.

SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: DAY 3
Marina - 54 pages
Szatan z siódmej klasy - 17 pages

I would have read more in Polish, but life intervened. There's always tomorrow.

Edited by Amerykanka on 18 June 2015 at 3:45am

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 24 of 55
18 June 2015 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: DAY 4
Marina - 36 pages
Szatan z siódmej klasy - 30 pages

I am really enjoying Szatan z siódmej klasy, although I think I have figured out the mystery of the doors.
Makuszyński's writing style is very amusing; it reminds me of an English author I can't quite put my finger on.
When I have a chance I would like to read some more of his books. It is exceedingly frustrating that none of
my little siblings speak Polish, because they are always asking for book recommendations and I have pretty
much exhausted my English-language repertoire. Ah well. I'm holding out hope that I might turn my two
youngest siblings into language nerds yet. I was teaching my little sister Polish pronunciation and spelling
when she was five, after all, and perhaps all of that hard work didn't go to waste. :)

Now for some exciting news - I finished Marina! I'll try to write a proper review in Spanish when I have
some time but for now I'll just say that I enjoyed the book and I would recommend it. This also means that I
must pick a new book to read for tomorrow - pressure. Anyway, other Spanish news - I listened to an hour of
Spanish radio the other day, and yesterday I wrote a long letter to my friend and an email to one of my
professors in Spanish.

OTHER LANGUAGES
I have also been working on my (Ancient) Greek grammar. I have colorful index cards containing the principal
parts of the most common 80 or so irregular verbs, and then I have heavy-duty cards with the conjugations of
extremely irregular verbs - ειμι, ειμι, οιδα, φημι - and of contract verbs. After I refresh my memory of these
conjugations I'll move on to the declensions of participles, pronouns, etc. (Sorry, no accents or rough
breathings - my modern Greek keyboard isn't entirely suited to Ancient Greek.)

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version