Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 33 of 55
28 June 2015 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
Okay, now that I have a moment, I would like to introduce my new plan. Operation Vocabulary Recovery
(OVR) is a multifaceted attack strategy which will employ various kinds of weapons, such as SRS, news
articles, ancient legends, and picture dictionaries. OVR will work together with the Summer Reading
Challenge to restore my Polish to its former glory (or lack of it, whatever). So here is the situation: for the last
two years, as those who have been reading my logs know, my Polish has been suffering from some serious
neglect and one of the consequences is that my active vocabulary has shrunk. So OVR is about rehabilitating
my active vocabulary and strengthening my passive vocabulary, and about upgrading my passive vocabulary
to active. I am planning a two-month crash course - should be fun! Then I will evaluate to determine my next
focus.

Materials:
- My old Anki decks
- The Oxford University Press's Polish-English Picture Dictionary
- Book of legends that I picked up when I was in Kraków
- m.onet.pl/wiadomości and other news sites

Goals:
- Read 5 news articles intensively per day and add all vocab to Anki; 1 legend = 2 articles
- Add the vocab from the picture dictionary to Anki (3 pages per day)
- Fight valiantly to reclaim Fortress Anki, which has been in enemy hands for over 6 months
- Incorporate the most useful words encountered in the Summer Reading Challenge into Anki

This has been going well so far. My car decided to break down the other day, and so I had a wonderful
opportunity to review flashcards for an hour as I waited for my mom to come pick me up. Today I spent 45
minutes on my three Polish decks and now two of them are under control - the first is a temporary deck
(which will eventually be merged with my main vocab deck once it is manageable again), and the other is my
sentence deck. The final deck (the main vocab one) is still in dire straits - although I've got the number of
reviews due under 1000 again, thank goodness!

So the Anki portion of OVR is going splendidly. Words are flooding back into my mind after only 3 days; I am
very excited! I managed to read 11 news articles over the last few days and added vocab from 6 pages of my
picture dictionary to Anki. Since the last three days were incredibly confusing and hectic, I am very pleased
with these results and I am even more optimistic about the weeks to come.

My Summer Reading Challenge has suffered over the last few days, mostly because I was trying to figure out
OVR and life kept interfering. I decided to read Stara baśń next; I am surprised how easy it is for me. It
makes much more sense to me now than it did a few years ago. Don't get me wrong, it is still probably the
hardest thing I have ever read in Polish (with the exception of Pan Tadeusz), and for this reason I am
cutting back the reading goal to 10 pages per day. I want to make sure that I have plenty of time for OVR.

SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: DAYS 11, 12, & 13
Niebla - 26 pages
Stara baśń - 12 pages

As you can see, I got a bit behind. :) I am going to take Serpent's advice and not attempt to catch up.

In other news, I started watching the Spanish show Águila roja. I haven't even finished the first episode
(I'm about 40 minutes in), but it will definitely be some good listening practice. I have the (Spanish) subtitles
on right now but I'm hoping to get rid of them soon. My friend recommended the show so I'm optimistic. :)

EDIT: I'll post today's update later. I was busy with church and exercise this morning so I haven't had a
chance to do much language-related stuff yet.

Edited by Amerykanka on 28 June 2015 at 11:06pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 34 of 55
29 June 2015 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
I made a fatal mistake - I decided to investigate lyricstraining and now I am hooked. Alas.

I read my five articles and added my Polish vocab words to Anki, but that is it, I'm afraid. I wasn't home most
of the day so I didn't have a chance to sit down and read. But tomorrow I will get back into my reading
challenge.

Now I just have to say - I learned that "social media" is media społecznościowe and for some reason this
phrase makes me very happy. :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5901 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 35 of 55
29 June 2015 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
Amerykanka wrote:

Now I just have to say - I learned that "social media" is media społecznościowe and for some reason this phrase makes me very happy. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only person for whom certain Polish words exert a bewitching power. I was under the thrall of the word śrubokręt ['screwdriver'] for a long time, relishing both the sound and the feel of it in speech. There are plenty more words which have this effect, currently it's spragniony ['thirsty'] - a word I must refrain from chanting when in the company of Poles, lest I be brought a glass of water and told to lie down for a bit.
Your comment got me thinking. What are the reasons why some words / phrases make us happy? Neither fooling around with screwdrivers or feeling thirsty make me particularly joyous, so it must be the aesthetics of the words. Maybe the unfamiliar combination of these hard and soft sounds give rise to an exotic appeal. Is the appeal instant? Or do we learn to love the way a language sounds, even after an inital aversion? The aesthetic appeal of Polish was instant, and now, after 5 years I'm searching for a counterpoint language (something less sibilant-rich maybe).

Keep up with the reading and Anki-bashing!

Edited by Mooby on 29 June 2015 at 3:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 36 of 55
30 June 2015 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
I also like the word spragniony - it conveys its meaning so perfectly - but chce mi się pić fascinates
me even more. It's something about the grammatical structure and the sound; the words roll right off my lips. I
too am always eager to express my thirst, usually to my monolingual family, who are very used to it even if
they have no idea what I am saying. (It has gotten to the point where a lot of my friends can recognize Polish
when they hear it, even when it is sandwiched in between lots of other languages - I guess this is a testimony
to my habit of addressing people in Polish whether they understand or not.)

Anyway, I think that I have always found Polish sounds highly appealing. It's hard to say though, since my
eleven-year-old self might simply have fallen in love with the first exotic thing that came her way without much
regard for aesthetics. But to this day Polish exercises a kind of control over me that no other language has
been able to rival. I have learned to love Spanish sounds over the years, but I still don't feel the same
attraction or connection. Greek has put up a very good fight, but Polish remains the undisputed victor. Who
can say why? The closest any language has come to comparing was probably when I was experimenting
with Arabic earlier this summer - Egyptian Arabic sounded absolutely beautiful to my ears - or when I was
dabbling in Welsh a few years ago.

I think that, for whatever reason, certain languages touch us in mysterious ways. And I for one am
determined to take action whenever a language truly moves me like Polish has; I don't want to lose an
opportunity to have a special connection with a language. This is why I feel certain that some day, I will learn
Arabic and Welsh, although I can't do it right now.

I had better end this post before it turns into a long, rambling, "why-I-love-languages" rant. Also, I need to go
to bed, and I have to post my update first.

Edited by Amerykanka on 30 June 2015 at 6:03am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 37 of 55
30 June 2015 at 6:07am | IP Logged 
SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: DAY 15
Niebla - 60 pages

I promise I wasn't trying to catch up on my Spanish reading (okay, maybe a little) - I was just ready to be done
with Niebla. I enjoyed the argument between Augusto and Unamuno at the end of the book, and all of the
various philosophical ideas proposed were entertaining (my favorite was Paparrigópulos' notion that there is a
single female soul that is shared by all women, since all women are obviously identical except in externals
haha). I'm still puzzling over Unamuno's purpose in writing this book though - unless it's to make fun of
ludicrous ideas such as Paparrigópulos' and to get people to stop philosophizing and start living.

I also reviewed my Spanish flashcards in Anki (12 minutes). And I spent quite a bit of time on lyricstraining. :)

POLISH VOCABULARY UPDATE
- 5 articles on m.onet.pl/wiadomości
- 3 pages of the Polish picture dictionary
- 12 minutes of flashcard review in Anki

As part of my project, I have been compiling a list of common abbreviations that I have come across while
reading newspaper articles. Some of them I am quite familiar with, but some were new to me, so I thought it
would be useful to make a list. I am including it below in case it interests anyone, and I will continue to add to
it as time goes by.

br = bieżącego roku
ds = do spraw
itd = i tak dalej
itp = i tym podobne
m. in. = między innymi
np = na przykład
tzn = to znaczy
tzw = tak zwany
wg = według
ws = w sprawie

No Stara baśń today - I'm still getting the hang of my new vocab schedule and, I'll admit it, there is this
website called lyricstraining which I might have mentioned . . .

2 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 38 of 55
30 June 2015 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
SKRÓTY CZĘSTO UŻYWANE
br = bieżącego roku
ds = do spraw
itd = i tak dalej
itp = i tym podobne
m. in. = między innymi
np = na przykład
proc. = procent
św. = święty
tys = tysięcy
tzn = to znaczy
tzw = tak zwany
wg = według
woj. = województwo
ws = w sprawie
zwł = zwłaszcza

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 39 of 55
01 July 2015 at 6:22am | IP Logged 
SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: DAY 16
El sueño del celta - 21 pages

I also reviewed my Spanish flashcards in Anki (33 minutes). And lyricstraining, again. :) Also, I watched 30
min or so of Águila roja until my internet went out and Netflix stopped working. Then I listened to 20 min
of one of my favorite podcasts - VOA Noticias' "Buenos Días América". I highly recommend this podcast, by
the way - a new 30 min news update comes out every day. I am hoping to start listening to it regularly again.
Along with Águila roja it will help to boost my listening skills.

POLISH VOCABULARY UPDATE
- 5 articles on m.onet.pl/wiadomości
- 6 pages of the Polish picture dictionary
- 22 minutes of flashcard review in Anki

I also reviewed the sections on the declension/use of numbers in Gramatyka języka polskiego dla
cudzoziemców
, since some of the pages in my picture dictionary were about numbers, fractions, etc. I
need to make some of my fancy, color-coded flash cards tomorrow to make sure I remember everything. I
always forget about the liczebniki zbiorowe and so whenever I see something like "czworo dzieci" I do a
double-take. I believe that it is finally straight in my head now. So we have:

dwa domy
dwaj mężczyźni / dwóch mężczyzn
dwie kobiety
dwa miasta
dwoje dzieci

Collective numerals, strange as it may sound, are one of my favorite parts of Polish. Especially in przypadki
zależne (sorry, I'm blanking on the English term and it's late so I'm too tired to look it up) where the 'g'
appears. I mean, what can be cooler than a word like dwojgiem?

Bad news when it comes to Stara baśń. My mom kidnapped me and made me go to my brother's
baseball game. It was fun and all, but one of the consequences was less reading time. Tomorrow. Will. Be.
Better.

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4967 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 40 of 55
02 July 2015 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
SUMMER READING CHALLENGE: DAY 17
El sueño del celta – 18 pages
Stara baśń – 12 pages

SPANISH UPDATE
El sueño del celta seems to be the perfect book for me to read – the register is just a little higher than I
am comfortable with, but not high enough to exhaust me or flood me with vocabulary. Marina was,
honestly, too easy, while Niebla had a lot of archaisms, but El sueño del celta is a solid novel with
advanced, but not esoteric, vocab. I encounter on average 2-3 unfamiliar words per page, and I can add
these to Anki without significant decrease in my reading speed. Today’s words included lacra (“scar,
defect”), duermevela (“light/fitful sleep”), galimatías (“gibberish”), and avispado (“bright, sharp”).

In other Spanish news, I finished watching the first episode of Águila roja and started the second, and I
listened to another 30 min episode of “Buenos Días América”. In addition, I spent 46 minutes reviewing cards
in Anki. My main vocab deck has a scary 5,000+ cards due. Eep. Eventually I ran away and listened to a few
songs on lyricstraining to take my mind off things. I really like that website even though I won’t count it as
study time. It is extremely relaxing – my only complaint is the limited number of languages. I wish there were
some Polish songs up.

OPERATION VOCABULARY RECOVERY (aka POLISH UPDATE)
-     6 articles on m.onet.com/wiadomości
-     3.5 pages of the picture dictionary
-     25 minutes reviewing cards in Anki

I learned a lot of hair-related vocabulary today – very interesting. I’m not sure if I ever knew how to say
“bangs” (grzywka), “part” (przedziałek), or “sideburns” (baczki), but I do now. This picture
dictionary plan has been working well; it will hopefully cover any vocab major gaps (such as those related to
hair). And my newspaper articles reminded me of how to say, among other things, “embassy”
(ambasada) and “mercury” (rtęć).

As I noted above, I read 12 pages of Stara baśń. A few more days and I will have reached the place
where I was last time I stopped. But this time, there will be no stopping. I am determined to power through
and finish all of these books that I started and then abandoned due to business. I’m not sure which book I’ve
stopped reading more frequently – Stara baśń or Kamienie na szaniec – but this summer will see the
completion of both.

EDIT: Does anyone have any experience with iTalki, by the way? I really need to get some Spanish
conversation practice and since I haven’t managed to locate an exchange partner, I was thinking of paying a
tutor. Especially since I would like to take the DELE C1 soon - hopefully November, although I may be
overestimating my level; this is part of what I would like to ascertain from conversation sessions.

Edited by Amerykanka on 02 July 2015 at 6:30am

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version