tobefluent.com
Joined 3936 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 73 of 87
25 April 2015 at 5:08pm | IP Logged 
Spanish

I watched 2 episodes of El Internado this week (3x09 and 4x01) - and it's getting SOOOOO good! The twists and
turns, while a bit silly at times, keep catching me by surprise. I really wish that I didn't have to work so that I could
just binge watch the whole series in a few weeks.

I walked to work four days this week, which meant lots of time for listening to podcasts:

*Fallo de Sistema - Conexo: all about alternate realities, with clips from movies and video games, and an interview
with a Spanish young adult author. I've put his book (Conexo) on my to-read list.
*Nómadas - Kioto: travel documentary about Kyoto, Japan. Very interesting!
*Fallo de Sistema - Miedos y aquilarres: all horror, nightmares and blood in this episode! Another interview with a
Spanish author about his novel El libro de Ivo, but I don't really like gory books, so I don't expect that I'll ever read
it.
*Futuro abierto - Ucrania: report on what's going on right now in the Ukraine.
*Radio ambulante - El otro, el mismo: entertaining and amusing story about two men with the same name, and
many other things in common.
*Catástrofe ultravioleta - Morgan: fascinating episode about orcas. I really love this podcast!

This is the most listening that I've done in one week in a very, very long time! I'm not quite at the halfway point for
films in the Super Challenge, since I'm only counting movies or TV shows, but I know that if I'd counted all of my
radio shows as films, I'd be far past 100 by now.

I also read a chapter or two from El asesino de la Vía Láctea every day. I'm really enjoying it! I'm about 40 pages
from done, and will post an updated list of books for 2015 when I finish.

I also had my weekly hour-long chat with Auri on Sunday morning. I've decided to put all other tutoring on hold for
now. I'm going to decide this summer whether or not I really want to sit the C1 exam. I'm actually pretty confident
that I could succeed, but I'm not sure that I really care enough to do it. We'll see!

Tagalog

I let Tagalog slide this week. I only worked on it last weekend - I didn't even spend 5 minutes on it during the week!
Oops!

In six days, I'm going to hit the one-year point of studying Tagalog. I'm nowhere near where I expected to be by this
point. I'm going to carry on with my slow, unstressful approach to Tagalog, doing it whenever the mood strikes. The
truth is that this language is less important to me than other things. I've decided that it's ok to admit that, and just
keep learning it unhurriedly.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Clarity
Groupie
United States
Joined 3314 days ago

85 posts - 107 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 74 of 87
28 April 2015 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
Another addictive Spanish TV series! Where have they been all my life. I'll keep El Internado on my radar. You haven't steered me wrong on any of these shows.
1 person has voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4082 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 75 of 87
29 April 2015 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
If you want a fun series, more like funny because it is ridiculous, I recommend sometihng
that I found this week:

Pesadilla en la cocina (Alberto Chicote)

It is basically one of Spain's best chefs going to messed up restaurants and fixing them,
very similar to Gordon Ramsey style. It is also comical because his caracter is like
Ramsey's, cussing a lot, and overexaggerating and is very animated. It has already 4
seasons.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Clarity
Groupie
United States
Joined 3314 days ago

85 posts - 107 votes 

Message 76 of 87
29 April 2015 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the tip, 1e4e6! It sounds like a hoot. I love me some good melodrama!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3936 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 77 of 87
30 April 2015 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the suggestion, 1e4e6! That sounds fun!

Book Talk

I finished reading El Asesino de la Vía Láctea. It was a very easy read, and a lot of fun! In the end, it was ridiculously
predictable - so much so that I eliminated the murderer as a suspect early on because it was much too obvious. Still,
it was an enjoyable book, and lots of fun to revisit the places that I was walking almost exactly a year earlier.

My next book will be the fourth Harry Potter, I think.

Books - 2015

Spanish
Sinsajo (young adult novel)
Días pasados - Walking Dead tomo 1 (comic/graphic novel)
Guía para un perro feliz (non-fiction book)
El Sótano (novel)
El Asesino de la Vía Láctea (novel)

English
Walking Dead Volume 20 (comic/graphic novel)
Walking Dead Volume 21 (comic/graphic novel)
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (novel)

French
Chambre 426 (novel)
Le Quartier des oubliés (novel)

Clarity
Groupie
United States
Joined 3314 days ago

85 posts - 107 votes 

Message 78 of 87
12 May 2015 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
Stelle, I recently watched a documentary on the Camino de Santiago. I'm even *more* impressed that you completed the whole trip from France! It looked really tough!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3936 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 79 of 87
11 July 2015 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Errrr...hello?

I'm back.

No big story to my absence...I just got busy and let my languages slide. Over the past few months, I've done very
little related to languages. I've kept up with 3-4 Skype sessions per month in Spanish and read about 175 pages of
the fourth Harry Potter book, but that's pretty much it.

I watched lots of science fiction movies and binge-read a few young adult novels in English. That was fun. I also
thought very briefly about trying the Esperanto course on Duolingo, but quickly decided against it.

Anyway, I'm back.

If I want to win the Super Challenge, I have exactly 25 weeks to read 1465 pages and watch 3987 minutes in
Spanish. Time to get to work!

Books - 2015

Spanish
Sinsajo (young adult novel)
Días pasados - Walking Dead tomo 1 (comic/graphic novel)
Guía para un perro feliz (non-fiction book)
El Sótano (novel)
El Asesino de la Vía Láctea (novel)

English
Walking Dead Volume 20 (comic/graphic novel)
Walking Dead Volume 21 (comic/graphic novel)
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (novel)
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up (non-fiction / self-help)
Anna Dressed in Blood (young adult novel)
Girl of Nightmares (young adult novel)
Lost in the Jungle (travel / adventure / disaster memoir)
The Walled City (young adult novel)
Undertow (young adult novel)

French
Chambre 426 (novel)
Le Quartier des oubliés (novel)

Edited by Stelle on 11 July 2015 at 11:24pm

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5167 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 80 of 87
12 July 2015 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Welcome back. Has your Spanish suffered much due to limited use over the past few months?

This discussion contains 87 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version