Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3936 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 9 of 87
03 January 2015 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
I sorely neglected writing in 2014. I'd like to try to do regular "quick writes", alternating between Spanish and
Tagalog. For Tagalog, I'll start by just writing simple descriptions and stories (ie. a typical seven-year-old's diary).
For Spanish, I'd like to compile a list of more complex writing prompts and just work my way through them.

Feedback and corrections on either Spanish or Tagalog texts in this log are more than welcome!

Today: Tagalog.

Wala na si Chase, ang aso ko. May kanser siya, at wala nang siya. Malungkot ako, dahil matalik kong kaibigan
niya.

Ngayon, may bagong aso kami. Yogi ang pangalan niya. Maliit at puting aso siya. Mabait at nakakatawa si Yogi.
Natutulog siya sa kama sa gitna ko at ang asawa ko. Masaya si Yogi sa umaga. Kumakawag ang kulot na buntot
niya. Tumatakbo siya sa bahay kasama ang kanyang laruan.

Mahal na mahal ko si Yogi!

Pero nagmimiss pa ako si Chase.

in English:

Chase, my dog, is gone. He had cancer, and now he's gone. I'm sad because he was my best friend.

Now, we have a new dog. His name is Yogi. He's a small, white dog. Yogi is good and funny. He sleeps on the bed
between me and my husband. Yogi is happy in the morning. His curly tail wags. He runs through the house with
his toy.

I love Yogi a lot!

But I still miss Chase.

1 person has voted this message useful

Sooniye
Diglot
Groupie
Sweden
Joined 3689 days ago

44 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Spanish, Danish, Turkish, Japanese, Croatian, Hindi, Hungarian, Albanian

Message 10 of 87
03 January 2015 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
Looking forward to reading your log and wish you the best of luck in 2015!

I completely understand your wish to be able to understand the conversations your husband and
his family have when they start to talk in tagalog. Just to be able to follow along and don't
miss out on the fun.

As for saying names of persons and places in the target language, I tend to mix. I always
feel stupid to change to English pronunciation on out names when in a group with only Swedes
save for one person. But if I talk to people that are in majority or I am in their country I
tend to speak with their accent when talking about names on places and names.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3936 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 11 of 87
03 January 2015 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
While I plan on updating this log whenever the mood strikes, I'd also like to plan on weekly updates for each of
my languages: Spanish on Saturdays and Tagalog on Tuesdays. Because who doesn't love alliteration?

My very first Spanish update of 2015

I won't have the chance to talk over Skype this week. I book weekly sessions with my italki tutor on Sunday
mornings, but this week she's on holidays. I love my italki tutor and absolutely plan on continuing with weekly
chats for the rest of the year.

I'd like to have some in-person conversations as well. So far, my attempts to find a face-to-face language partner
have come to nothing. On the one hand, living in a multilingual urban centre opens up so many possibilities; on
the other hand, an urban centre is huge, and just because two people live "in the same city" doesn't make it
practical to meet regularly. I've actually been considering joining a Spanish class that will be offered close to my
house. I'm pretty sure that an organized class would be much less useful than learning on my own - not to
mention more expensive. But I'd really like some face-to-face conversation. I'm not sure what I'll decide to do.

listening

I only listened to Buenos Días América once this week. When I first started to listen to BDA, it was perfect: it's only
30 minutes, it exposes me to Latin American Spanish, it's easy for me to follow. But I'm getting tired of listening
to the American news every day. I wish that there were a daily Canadian news show in Spanish - but as far as I
know, there isn't. For the next little while, I think that I'm going to put BDA away, and get my news from local
sources in French and in English. I may or may not come back to BDA sometime in the future.

I listened to two very good holiday-related podcasts on RTVE this week:
Navidad en Nueva York - Nómadas
Consumo en Navidad - Futuro abierto

I already mentioned the first one in my log. The second one - Consumo en Navidad - was about responsible
consumerism at Christmas time. It was interesting stuff! I was surprised to learn that, according to the show, the
average person in Spain plans to spend 700 Euros on holiday-related expenses. That seems very high to me!

watching

I finished season one of El internado. What a great show! I'm seriously sucked in. If you like creepy mysteries with
a hint of the supernatural, then I highly recommend it. My husband started watching it halfway through episode 6
(the last episode of the season), and I kept having to pause to catch him up on the story lines. I had to laugh at
how ridiculous it was. But I love it!

I also watched a dubbed National Geographic documentary on YouTube that was recommended by Arthaeys and
Lorren: Abandonar al planeta Tierra
This half documentary / half science fiction story takes a look at how humans might evacuate the Earth if they
knew 75 years in advance that it would be destroyed. It was very interesting, and quite easy to follow. It used the
same "over voice" dubbing that they use in Buenos Días América, which can be a bit distracting until you get
used to it. I think that I'd like to watch more National Geographic shows.

reading

Nothing much to report here. I read a few chapters of Sinsajo, the last book in the Hunger Games trilogy. It isn't
quite as good as the first two - but that was true in English as well. It's still a very readable book. I expect to
finish it before the end of the month.

I also have volume 1 of The Walking Dead waiting for me. I *love* The Walking Dead! I read volume 1 in English
years and years ago, but I still remember the story (which is both similar to and completely different from the TV
show of the same name). I read all of The Walking Dead up to volume 19 from the library. I've always wanted to
own them, but there were just too many to buy all at once. The Walking Dead en español is currently available up
to volume 4, with volume 5 set to come out later this year. If I like volume 1, then I think that I might collect
them in Spanish instead of in English, buying a new volume whenever it comes out.

¡Me gustan los zombis!

Edited (as always) because typos make me sad.

Edited by Stelle on 03 January 2015 at 9:38pm

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5054 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 12 of 87
07 January 2015 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Years ago, when Radio Canada International (RCI) was still a big player in international broadcasting, I used to listen to their daily broadcast in Spanish. RCI still does have a half an hour podcast in Spanish, but it's weekly now RCI Español and recorded on Saturdays (you can also go through the archives). I learned a lot about Canada. Like most media in Canada, it was very well produced. Sadly, RCI is today a mere shadow of its former self. Thanks to RCI in English, I grew up listening to "As It Happens" and laughed with the "Royal Canadian Air Farce". I loved the Christmas Eve broadcasts of Alan Maitland reading "The Shepherd", how I miss "Fireside Al".

I like Radio Francia Internacional en Español. The news is from a French/European/International perspective but their daily podcasts are only 10 minutes long. I like reportage and a conversational style which I find lacking in most newscasts. The RFI/BDA style makes it more enjoyable for me than a dry recitation.

It may take some searching, but if you can find another couple of 10 minute podcasts somewhere else you could have a nice menu for your morning walk.

Edited by iguanamon on 14 January 2015 at 3:42pm

Lorren
United States
brookelorren.com/blo
Joined 4043 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Danish, Irish
Studies: Russian

Message 13 of 87
07 January 2015 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
I'm sorry about your dog.

I like the idea of writing sentences here on different topics in the languages we are studying. It can be a challenge, but a useful one.

Edited by Lorren on 07 January 2015 at 7:23am

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3936 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 14 of 87
17 January 2015 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
¡Hola compañeros! ¿Cómo estáis? Me estoy ahogando en el trabajo. Es difícil enseñar a niños por el día, y enseñar a
mi misma por la tarde/noche. Me falta tiempo - y ¡energía mental! Pero leo cada noche antes de
acostarme, y casi he terminado Sinsajo (el tercer libro de los juegos del hambre).

(Hello friends! How are you? I'm drowning in work. It's hard to teach children all day, and then to teach myself in
the evening. I don't enough time - or mental energy! But I do read every night before going to bed, and I've almost
finished Mockingjay, book 3 of The Hunger Games.)

Nag-aaral ako ng Tagalog sa gabi, pero mahirap ito. Pagkatapos ng labing-limang minuto, natutulog ako.
(I study Tagalog every night, but it's hard. I start falling asleep after 15 minutes.)
But 15 minutes is better than nothing! I try to make up for it on the weekends.

All that to say that things are busy. I've been out of the public school classroom for three years, and I had
conveniently forgotten just how much work it is to teach in elementary school. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of
paperwork - not to mention the noise and mess that I'm constantly trying to keep on top of. I like teaching, and I
love my students, but this job really is all-encompassing!

I've slacked off a bit in both languages and am not hitting my goal of an hour each per day. But I do something in
both Tagalog and Spanish every single day, and I'm going to count that as a success, especially with report cards
looming right around the corner.

Edited by Stelle on 17 January 2015 at 7:26pm

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3936 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 15 of 87
22 January 2015 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
I had to go to the walk-in clinic. The receptionist and nurse spoke Tagalog, the only other family in the waiting
room spoke Spanish, and the doctor spoke French. You have to love this city!

I'm forever grateful for the opportunity to not just learn different languages, but to actually be able to live them. I
speak French all day at work with my students and colleagues (who are a fascinating mix of Canadian, North African,
West African and European French speakers), I'm surrounded by Tagalog at home and at my in-laws', and - of
course - English is everywhere.

If only I could bring more Spanish into my day-to-day life, it would be perfect! As it stands, all of my Spanish is
remote: radio, TV, books, Skype conversations. I wish that I had a Spanish-speaking colleague, so that I could at
least have casual face-to-face conversations on a daily basis. My husband did make a new friend at school - a Costa
Rican woman looking to learn French. I was excited at first at the thought of a local language partner, but she has
young kids, and she's looking to connect via Skype rather than face-to-face. Still, a local contact would be a good
start!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3936 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 16 of 87
22 January 2015 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
I just tried my very first GLOSS activity - and I really enjoyed it!

Mom and Dad discuss daughter's new boyfriend

I looked at this lesson (the first level 1 Tagalog lesson on GLOSS) a few months ago, and understood virtually
nothing. I was pleased to see today that I was able to understand most of it! I had to look up several words on
Google translate in one section (drunk, gamble, and a chain of words that meant "he got in a fight and killed a guy"),
but everything else was fine.

The whole dialogue actually made me laugh. Suffice to say that the parents do *not* approve of their daughter's
choice of boyfriend, what with the drunken gambler dad and the older brother in jail for killing a guy. And so, they
will meddle. Just like they did with the last boy their daughter dated.

I liked the setup of the lesson: short sections of a dialogue, followed by comprehension questions and explanations,
and then the dialogue as a whole. Full transcripts available.

Very good resource! I'll definitely keep using it!

This discussion contains 87 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version