tobefluent.com
Joined 3936 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 81 of 87
12 July 2015 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
Welcome back. Has your Spanish suffered much due to limited use over the past few months?

No, not really! It's only been two months, and I've probably still been doing somewhere between one and two hours
of Spanish per week - not enough to make much progress, but I think it's enough to keep from backsliding too
much. I do think that less focused work on Spanish has definitely made me more lazy, though!

Tagalog, though? Yeah. Two months of complete radio silence has *definitely* had a negative effect on my
(admittedly limited) ability to speak and to understand.
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3936 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 82 of 87
13 July 2015 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
I've booked italki sessions on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings for the next two weeks, five hours of Spanish
and one hour of Tagalog. I've also committed to reading a chapter a day from HP4 in Spanish, and reviewing
Tagalog for at least 20 minutes per day.

I don't want to open anki. I really don't. I haven't touched it in almost three months. I'm not going to open it.

OK, I opened it.

718 Spanish cards. Not too bad. Most of my Spanish cards are mature. I can probably slog through the backlog, and
then I'll be back to my very brief daily reviews before long.

1000+ Tagalog cards. What does the + mean? Like, is it 1001? Or 10001? Do I even want to know? A lot of my cards
were young. Clearing up the backlog and bringing it to a manageable level will take a while. I'm considering deleting
my deck altogether, and starting over. I'm seriously torn!

Oh well, I'll decide tomorrow. Fiddle-dee-dee.

mitcht
Australia
Joined 3533 days ago

32 posts - 36 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 83 of 87
13 July 2015 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
I absolutely hate Anki at the moment too, the problem is that I know it is useful. I
think i have a tendency to totally overdue what I add because i worry i will forget
everything. Glad to see you back, i checked your blog the other day and was surprised it
wasn't updated in a while.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3936 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 84 of 87
13 July 2015 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
mitcht wrote:
Glad to see you back, i checked your blog the other day and was surprised it
wasn't updated in a while.

I'm glad to be back!

Honestly, I just don't have any good stories to tell right now! I do the same thing over and over and over (and over)
again, because I like it and because it's working for me - but it makes for a boring blog. I think that blogging should
be first and foremost about story-telling, but most language blogs fall into the trap of giving tips. I saw that that
was where mine was heading. Once I figure out what direction I want to take with the blog, I may start writing again.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3936 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 85 of 87
16 July 2015 at 10:16pm | IP Logged 
I just listened to a short interview on Radio Ambulante with a Coyote (someone who brings people from Central
America to the US border). Very interesting!

I found his accent a bit difficult to understand the first time, so I listened to it twice. The second time was much,
much easier. I definitely have to listen to more Latin American accents.

After listening, I went online to find a link to the podcast, and I was pleased to find video w/ Spanish audio and
English subtitles, full Spanish transcripts (text and audio) and full English translations (text and audio) on the Radio
Ambulante site. I didn't know they offered these! This is a fantastic tool for learners who want to work with short,
interesting native audio.

Coyote - the interview (and video w/ subtitles)
transcript in Spanish w/ audio
English translation w/ audio

Edited by Stelle on 16 July 2015 at 10:19pm

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4457 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 86 of 87
16 July 2015 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
What a funny coincidence: I just listened to that exact same episode as I was driving home from work today. Radio Ambulante is indeed good listening and some of the accents are a good challenge.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3936 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 87 of 87
22 July 2015 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
I started a new log during htlal's downtime:

my other log

Because the software is so much easier to use, I'm going to maintain my log there for now. Once we find out what's
happening with this site (is admin ready to hand over the reigns? is there a possibility of updating the software
here?), then I may be back. In the end, I will go where the majority of the community goes.

Happy language learning, amigos!

Edited by Stelle on 22 July 2015 at 11:30pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 87 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version